Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

10-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
mboxM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

GA: Bought car from out of state - how to get tag?

I'm in Atlanta and bought my M4 from a dealership in CO.

They said they "sent in all my paperwork to Fulton County".

Can I just go to the local tag office, show them proof of insurance, and my purchase documents, and they'll hand me my tag?

Update: My registration eventually arrived in the mail. I took the registration to the place the CO dealership mailed my paperwork, 141 Pryor Street. The docs I needed were my registration, insurance, driver's license and $20. The process took about 15 minutes. I walked out with my tag.

Last edited by mboxM4; 11-04-2015 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

I'm a bit curious about this myself. My dealer mentioned that they will provide me with a temp tag to take to the Performance Center. I was told that the plates take about 30 days to come in and they (dealer) will send them to me directly. I don't believe them. We'll see what happens though.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
mboxM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
I'm a bit curious about this myself. My dealer mentioned that they will provide me with a temp tag to take to the Performance Center. I was told that the plates take about 30 days to come in and they (dealer) will send them to me directly. I don't believe them. We'll see what happens though.
They did send me a temp tag to take to the PC but they suggested I go ahead and get my real tag. But if you bought your car from out of state, I do not believe the dealer sends your tag in the mail. From what I understand, you are responsible for getting it from the tag office.

Since you're in Atlanta you can call 678-413-8600 and give them your VIN. They'll be able to tell you if your car has been processed. My car, unfortunately, has not been processed yet.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
Thanh386
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F82

I bought my Porsche out of state a few years back (don't know why but it was like 10k less than local). Dealer sent me the registration package through the mail but I did have to go to the tag office to get my GA tag.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Yep as Thanh386 said you will probably have to go to the tag office. If the out of state dealer didn't charge you TAVT you'll also owe 6.75% of the purchase price to get your tag.
Appreciate 1