EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest

10-22-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MW/SO

Tire question for the locals

What wheels and tires do you Seattle area f8x owners run during the winter months? I ordered a MW/SO F80 that just went into production last week, so I'm expecting a late November to early December delivery. Normally the winters here are pretty mild, but I don't know if I should risk running on the stock wheels and tires or have a winter set ready.

I've been daily driving an S2000 year round for the last seven years and have never had anything but summer tires on it, but I hated having to worry about those one or two days a year where there would be a light dusting of snow while I was at work. I plan to have a winter set for the F80 next year for sure, just for those occasions, but it would be nice if I could postpone that purchase a bit.

I had a WRX last year for winter and really only needed it driving over to Eastern WA for Christmas, and I've already sold it as part of the funding for the new car. I'm hoping the F80 will be a good enough replacement for the WRX and the S2000 that I won't miss either of them too much.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

1. Most including me will not need anything but performance tires on the F8X here. This assumes you can either stay home or have a 2nd car in the family to use or co-ride in the 2 or so days in average a year you'll need it.

2. Never drive the F8x on snow or ice covered roads on performance tires. It sucks.

3. El Niņo year, the risk for snow and ice should be even lower than usual.

4. If you plan to drive on snow and ice and get a separate set get proper winters.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
1. Most including me will not need anything but performance tires on the F8X here. This assumes you can either stay home or have a 2nd car in the family to use or co-ride in the 2 or so days in average a year you'll need it.

2. Never drive the F8x on snow or ice covered roads on performance tires. It sucks.

3. El Niņo year, the risk for snow and ice should be even lower than usual.

4. If you plan to drive on snow and ice and get a separate set get proper winters.
Normally if I see snow in the morning I work from home. It's the rare surprise dustings in the afternoon while I'm already at work that worry me. Had that happen in my S2000 once and I could barely keep it moving straight in the parking lot, so I'm familiar with how terrible performance tires are on ice. I have no plans to purposefully drive in those conditions this year, and I can imagine with the low end torque of the f8x it would be much worse.

Maybe with El Niņo this year I can hold off on the winters until next year. Thanks for the input!

Last edited by Vetkin; 10-22-2015 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 05:25 PM   #4
Xerxes480
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Even with the minimal chance of snow here, I bought winter tires and wheels. I live on top of a big hill, and figured better to be safe than sorry. Plus it saves miles on my PSS tires during the crappy weather time of year!

I do notice a major traction difference on the PSS tires when the temps drop to 50 or lower, especially if the roads are wet.

-X-
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetkin View Post
Normally if I see snow in the morning I work from home. It's the rare surprise dustings in the afternoon while I'm already at work that worry me. Had that happen in my S2000 once and I could barely keep it moving straight in the parking lot, so I'm familiar with how terrible performance tires are on ice. I have no plans to purposefully drive in those conditions this year, and I can imagine with the low end torque of the f8x it would be much worse.

Maybe with El Niņo this year I can hold off on the winters until next year. Thanks for the input!
Yeah, in the 16 years I've been here I've been "surprised" ( bad planning ) three times were there's been significant and full snow cover to deal with on performance tires on my RWD cars. It demands careful planning of route, driving style and patience to not put yourself or other at risk and arrive safely at home. I've never been stuck or hit something but It's not enjoyable. Luckily it's rather easy to avoid since weather forecast for the next hours are pretty good. I have no plans to get snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 12:45 AM   #6
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

Quote:
I'm hoping the F80 will be a good enough replacement for the WRX and the S2000 that I won't miss either of them too much.
you will miss the s2000
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #7
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Kept my old car for this purpose. My plan is to keep my PSSs on the M and drive my xDrive when it looks dodgy.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #8
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep

Garage List
That said, I'm no stranger to owning high performance RWD cars in winter conditions. The answer (as others have said) is GREAT winter tires and I also would throw a couple sandbags in the trunk for extra mass on the rear wheels. Do that and you will be ok.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger Kim View Post
you will miss the s2000
Ha, I am afraid of that! It doesn't make sense for me to keep both cars unfortunately, but most people who have owned one say they regret selling it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #10
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes480 View Post
Even with the minimal chance of snow here, I bought winter tires and wheels. I live on top of a big hill, and figured better to be safe than sorry. Plus it saves miles on my PSS tires during the crappy weather time of year!

I do notice a major traction difference on the PSS tires when the temps drop to 50 or lower, especially if the roads are wet.

-X-
Which wheels and tires did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #11
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Bridgestone Blizzaks are the gold standard of winter tires. Sticky as hell. Prolly need winter rims to get them to work though, I don't think they do low profile (and you wouldn't want that anyway).

http://www.gearinstitute.com/vehicle...s70-snow-tires

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 02:54 PM   #12
solstice
Major General
Rep

I've never had Blizzaks so can't comment on them. In Sweden I mostly used Nokian Hakkapeliitta studded tires. They are really good and I hear the unstudded which you would of course buy here are highly rated as well. Since I never purchased snow tires here I'm not sure of availability of Nokian tires in the US but if you can find them you won't be disappointed. Go with the narrowest tire with the largest tire wall that is within BMWs spec. for tires and select wheel size accordingly. It will be the smallest wheel size within spec.

Last edited by solstice; 10-23-2015 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #13
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ha, I am afraid of that! It doesn't make sense for me to keep both cars unfortunately, but most people who have owned one say they regret selling it.
I still think about getting another one somewhat often. As long as I can't afford a Porsche, which I can't, I will always have that thought in the back of my mind lol.

To be fair, I didn't feel that way driving the M3 during my ED, but now I'm back waiting for it as its on a vessel. Anyhow, congrats
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #14
bradleym
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 SS/BK DCT

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Here is my HEAVY RAIN setup:

And here is my ICE/SNOW setup:

Any questions? Today its pouring with rain, so i'll be out and about in the AWD cross country, and the ///M will be safe and dry in the garage....
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2015, 10:09 AM   #15
philthy84
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2

Light to moderate rain in the fall/winter I'll still take out the M with stock tires. In heavy rain with colder temperatures or snow/ice possibilities than its time to bring out the Audi A4 or the old Acura TL.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #16
Vetkin
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the replies everyone. The M3 will be my only car for now so my only options in bad weather will be winter tires or to not drive at all. In this area I think I can probably get by without them most of the time, but it's good to know what tires and wheels people are running when they do put winters on this car. I plan to eventually just for peace of mind and to save wear on the summers.

If I wait I just have to hope there isn't a fluke snow storm on my delivery day.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 07:14 AM   #17
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. The M3 will be my only car for now so my only options in bad weather will be winter tires or to not drive at all. In this area I think I can probably get by without them most of the time, but it's good to know what tires and wheels people are running when they do put winters on this car. I plan to eventually just for peace of mind and to save wear on the summers.

If I wait I just have to hope there isn't a fluke snow storm on my delivery day.
You will be fine 99% of the time but without proper rubber there are about 3-4 days a year where you will be at high risk of smashing your car up. It's those freak ice/frost days that Seattle gets - combined with the hills and elevation everywhere - that will do you in. I live by a modest hill and last winter I went out to get a coffee one Sunday morning and found about 10 cars smashed up from ice on the hill.

If you can avoid driving at all for those few days - that's another option. Of course it's not always easy to predict when that's going to happen - or when it has happened as you head off to work.

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #18
Xerxes480
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Went with the Rial P10 black wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 tires. 245/45/18 square setup. Got my car in February, so only got a couple months in and no winter weather. Rides and handles well though.

Picked the wheels because they were cheap, but they don't look too bad actually.

-X-
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-28-2015, 11:06 AM   #19
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If you ask the dealer will hold your car until it clears if that happens. One worry you can cross off the list
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 04:46 PM   #20
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am also sortve concerned as well. I will be taking delivery at BMW spokane and was wondering if anyone had any experience driving through the pass in november. I am expecting a mid~late november delivery date. Is it too dangerous to drive with summer tires?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #21
Xerxes480
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger Kim View Post
I am also sortve concerned as well. I will be taking delivery at BMW spokane and was wondering if anyone had any experience driving through the pass in november. I am expecting a mid~late november delivery date. Is it too dangerous to drive with summer tires?
Mid or late November means there's a good chance for snow on the pass. If it were me I wouldn't drive over the pass on summer tires if there was any snow/slush/ice on the roads. It would not be fun. My advice is to keep an eye on the weather and road reports, and have a backup plan in case weather is a factor.

-X-
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 12:36 AM   #22
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes480 View Post
Mid or late November means there's a good chance for snow on the pass. If it were me I wouldn't drive over the pass on summer tires if there was any snow/slush/ice on the roads. It would not be fun. My advice is to keep an eye on the weather and road reports, and have a backup plan in case weather is a factor.

-X-
Yeah, the passes is total different ball game, none of my comments made here about the need or not for snow tires around here apply to the passes from November to March. You should be worried and need some luck with weather timing for this to work out safely on summer tires.
Appreciate 0