F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech Smartview
Extreme Powerhouse

10-24-2015, 02:54 AM   #1
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

BimmerTech Smartview

I'm (seriously) considering buying the Smartview unit for my F30 (with Tech package and HUD). I have been searching around for reviews but there aren't many out there.
I have an iPhone 6s (primary phone) and an Asus Zenfone 2 (which I rarely use). My main reason for to buy this is because I use Waze often on my daily drive. I have to spend one hour every day in stop and go traffic (SoCal) so Waze is definitely better for me. It would be less distracting looking at the big NBT screen than the phone's tiny screen. The same with glancing at messages on iPhone. Sometimes I need to go some places locally, I just do a quick search on Waze (or Google Maps) and follow it. Entering the address on the NBT takes like forever. It is also a hassle to search on the Remote app, then send to the car, then wait for the car to receive it.
Can the iPhone airplay to the Smartview and still retain the bluetooth connection to the car? I don't watch movies while driving.
If it is Airplay-ing, can I stream music by bluetooth to the car or all the music will be routed to the Smartview?
On the F30, the Aux input is in the center armrest. Do you route the Aux cable from the Smartview from the console to the armrest?

Has anyone installed this in your car? How do you like it? What do you app mostly use?

I really appreciate it!

Last edited by mbfanos; 10-24-2015 at 03:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #2
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1091376

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=smartview
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #3
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quite a few reviews here...search feature is your friend.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #4
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Quite a few reviews here...search feature is your friend.

I actually read those. I'm hoping to get more mini-reviews
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
Dimitris76
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue F34 328dX M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfanos View Post
Can the iPhone airplay to the Smartview and still retain the bluetooth connection to the car? I don't watch movies while driving.
If it is Airplay-ing, can I stream music by bluetooth to the car or all the music will be routed to the Smartview?
No and no. Apple devices when in Airplay mode output all audio to Smartview. You cannot have your iPhone mirroring video to car's screen over Wifi and audio (speaker and/or microphone) over bluetooth.

You can do this with an Android phone though.

Read my posts #17 and #20 here: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1181947

/Dimitrios
Appreciate 0