E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Comparing 335i Brake master cylinder with M3

10-24-2015, 08:07 PM   #1
Fred_Boosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.00]
Comparing 335i Brake master cylinder with M3

Hi, guys.

I read some members were discussing the brake upgrade on 335i, obviously the Big brake kit is the best route. But there was one question raised, will the brake master cylinder play a very important role when upgrading the brakes?

I did some search on the forum, the brake master cylinder will effect the brake feel of the pedal. I recall there was a thread someone discussing the soft pedal feel after put F30 M performance brakes on his e90. Maybe this means we need upgrade brake master cylinder.

Here are what i found:

E90/92 335i Master brake cylinder(part number 34 33 6 785 664):

E90/92 M3 Master brake cylinder(part number34 31 2 283 533):

First, they have different part number, which means they are not exactly the same.
However, if you pay attention to the picture. They are very identical, except one hose on 335i says 25 the other one says 26 on M3 one. The other hose both says 22. This very little difference might be the reason why some people feel 335i's pedal is soft after they go with 135i performance brakes or F30 M performance brakes.

I don't have any extra cash on hand right now to buy them and do the research . But I will for sure dig more deep into this. Otherwise, I was trying to find picture of F30 brake master cylinder, but not able to find any. If anyone happen to have, welcome to chime in.
Appreciate 2
      10-24-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
Fred_Boosted
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.00]
Addition find:

http://parts.bmwofbridgewater.com/p/...336851095.html

The 2 series and F30 320 328 335 share the same brake master cylinder, can anyone tell me if their brake calipers and rotors are the same or not?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

135i brakes on 335i is NOT an upgrade! Well it is but only cosmetically!
If you do this there isn't any need to replace the master cylinder.
f30 would make the brake pedal soft so you want to upgrade to M3 master cylinder.
Master cylinder from f30 is not interchangeable and that chassis has programmable brake module.
You can program it according to the size of the brakes and size of the wheels installed.
Most vehicles with electrical steering which is also programmable have programmable brakes as well.
VW has these features since 2005 and BMW is just late in the game.
f30 series come with different rotors and calipers which is determined by the engine size and the package: base, sport and performance.
Front f30 from any model would fit any e90, the rears NO, and that is on every e90.
I hope I answered all of your questions.
Appreciate 1
Volasko705.00
      10-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
Fred_Boosted
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
135i brakes on 335i is NOT an upgrade! Well it is but only cosmetically!
If you do this there isn't any need to replace the master cylinder.
f30 would make the brake pedal soft so you want to upgrade to M3 master cylinder.
Master cylinder from f30 is not interchangeable and that chassis has programmable brake module.
You can program it according to the size of the brakes and size of the wheels installed.
Most vehicles with electrical steering which is also programmable have programmable brakes as well.
VW has these features since 2005 and BMW is just late in the game.
f30 series come with different rotors and calipers which is determined by the engine size and the package: base, sport and performance.
Front f30 from any model would fit any e90, the rears NO, and that is on every e90.
I hope I answered all of your questions.
Thanks for the answer, I know the 135i M performance will not be an upgrade.

My point is, according to the picture I found, the M3 brake master cylinder is not that different than 335i. Could it also be the booster difference change the pedal feel?

Also you mentioned about programming the brakes through coding, is that even possible on E90/E92 or its just on F30?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Boosted View Post
My point is, according to the picture I found, the M3 brake master cylinder is not that different than 335i. Could it also be the booster difference change the pedal feel?
No, the booster is identical on all e9x's including M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Boosted View Post
Also you mentioned about programming the brakes through coding, is that even possible on E90/E92 or its just on F30?
No, just f30
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 12:17 AM   #6
bleedsblue0023
KState ME PE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Jet Black ZSP

The larger M3 master cylinder will increase pedal pressure but decrease the force applied, but you will need to put your foot down harder.

http://www.markwilliams.com/braketech.aspx
BMS Intake, JB4 Iso FF, COBB V2 BMS Pump BEF, CPe Charge-pipe, ETS 5", VRSF DP, BMS OCC, SS Brk Lines, BMS CDV, MFactory LSD + Solid Diff mounts, 650i Diff cover, Pure Inlet, Fuel-it Stg2 LPFP + Plat TBI, E46 Trans mounts, Turner Pedals, Mishimoto wheel lugs, Msport Interior, M3 armrest, M3 Control arms, EvolutionRaceWerks F30 TIC pipe
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 07:39 AM   #7
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedsblue0023 View Post
The larger M3 master cylinder will increase pedal pressure but decrease the force applied, but you will need to put your foot down harder.

http://www.markwilliams.com/braketech.aspx
from your link:
Spongy Pedal:
5) Master cylinder bore too small creating excessive high line pressure. Match master cylinder to system.

M3 calipers has bigger pistons thus the M3 master cylinder has bigger bore.
Since f30 caliper are 4 piston front and 2 piston rear bigger master cylinder is recommended to obtain better ratio between the piston and master cylinder.
The pedal will be firmer but you will not have to put your foot down harder since the brake pedal is vacuum assisted.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #8
bleedsblue0023
KState ME PE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Jet Black ZSP

Quote:
from your link:
Spongy Pedal:
5) Master cylinder bore too small creating excessive high line pressure. Match master cylinder to system.

Since f30 caliper are 4 piston front and 2 piston rear bigger master cylinder is recommended to obtain better ratio between the piston and master cylinder.
The pedal will be firmer but you will not have to put your foot down harder since the brake pedal is vacuum assisted.
I agree 100%. Should have added in my comment: All things being equal.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #9
ibo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 BSM 335xi e90 LCI M-Sport

Been on the lookout for m3 master cylinders in prep for the f30 bbk upgrade and found this:

http://www.carid.com/centric/premium...130-34203.html

The provided picture is identical to the OEM m3 master cylinder provided above, but it's less than 1/4 of the price. Can anyone provide any insight into this?
COBB Stage 2+ | Alpina B3 TCU Flash | ER FMIC & CP | Tial Q | Injen CAI | VRSF DP | BMS OCC | KW V3 | M3 Rear SFB / Sway Bar / Susp Bits / Strut Brace | Megan Racing Toe Arms | HPA Swaybar Endlinks | Apex EC-7 | Michelin PSS | MH 75mm Stud Conv | OEM Perf Grills and Diffuser | Exotics Tuning Front Lip | LUX H8 | Luminics Krypton JDM Yellow | LLumar 35%
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      02-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #10
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibo View Post
Been on the lookout for m3 master cylinders in prep for the f30 bbk upgrade and found this:

http://www.carid.com/centric/premium...130-34203.html

The provided picture is identical to the OEM m3 master cylinder provided above, but it's less than 1/4 of the price. Can anyone provide any insight into this?
yes, that is aftermarket replacement.
here is a ebay link from the original:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-13-BMW-E9...AAAOSw7FRWa4pq
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 03:06 PM   #11
ibo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 BSM 335xi e90 LCI M-Sport

Quote:
yes, that is aftermarket replacement.
here is a ebay link from the original:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-13-BMW-E9...AAAOSw7FRWa4pq
I was just about to pull the trigger on that exact ebay listing until I found the Centric ones. Considering they look almost identical, do you know if the OEM ones are better than the Centric? To be specific, I'm wondering if this is the same deal as OEM vs TRW.
COBB Stage 2+ | Alpina B3 TCU Flash | ER FMIC & CP | Tial Q | Injen CAI | VRSF DP | BMS OCC | KW V3 | M3 Rear SFB / Sway Bar / Susp Bits / Strut Brace | Megan Racing Toe Arms | HPA Swaybar Endlinks | Apex EC-7 | Michelin PSS | MH 75mm Stud Conv | OEM Perf Grills and Diffuser | Exotics Tuning Front Lip | LUX H8 | Luminics Krypton JDM Yellow | LLumar 35%
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #12
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibo View Post
I was just about to pull the trigger on that exact ebay listing until I found the Centric ones. Considering they look almost identical, do you know if the OEM ones are better than the Centric? To be specific, I'm wondering if this is the same deal as OEM vs TRW.
To answer your question simply I would say no.
Cetric is a OK but I would still prefer good used OEM part in these particular instance.
TRW is OEM supplier, Centric is not.
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2016, 09:53 PM   #13
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
from your link:
Spongy Pedal:

Number of piston is irrelevant to this discussion. The overall surface area determines the size of master cylinder required.

The 6 piston caliper on the 135i actually have a slightly SMALLER overall piston area on one clamping side than the single LARGE piston on the sliding caliper on the 335i. Look it up and do the calculations.

Just because a caliper has 2, 4, or 6 Pistons doesn't mean they require a larger master cylinder than a 1 piston caliper.

C'mon people. I don't know how many times I need to tell you all this.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 10:03 PM   #14
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Number of piston is irrelevant to this discussion. The overall surface area determines the size of master cylinder required.

The 6 piston caliper on the 135i actually have a slightly SMALLER overall piston area on one clamping side than the single LARGE piston on the sliding caliper on the 335i. Look it up and do the calculations.

Just because a caliper has 2, 4, or 6 Pistons doesn't mean they require a larger master cylinder than a 1 piston caliper.

Oh, wow! We discovered hot water again!

Btw we are discussing f30 M Performance brakes on e90 non M with M master brake cylinder. Not 135i brakes.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #15
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Valuable info, but no one is holding a gun to your head to post.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #16
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post
Valuable info, but no one is holding a gun to your head to post.
Oh you have no idea how many of the posts in here I simply ignore, or refrain from posting.

Pretty much, almost all of it is bad. Occasionally I'd get a post or two I'd agree with, but that's when I go plunk down $10 for a Powerball Ticket. Chances of me winning and the signal to noise ratio here is about the same.

Occasionally one of these posts here have a keyword or phrase that simply triggers a response reflex. Otherwise most of the time I don't bother.

Maybe the appropriate response from you should be "no one is holding a gun to my head to READ." THAT, I'd agree with.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #17
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi 6spd

Not reading through all of this but beware the m3 has an electronic vac pump as well for braking
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #18
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abax335 View Post
Not reading through all of this but beware the m3 has an electronic vac pump as well for braking
They all have vacuum pumps, mechanical or electric, which does not really matter as all are there to serve the very same purpose.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #19
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They all have vacuum pumps, mechanical or electric, which does not really matter as all are there to serve the very same purpose.
Yes, I am well aware. This car utilizes an additional one just for braking not engine vacuum like the ones you are referring to. That being said I don't know how well a hydraulic system that utilizes an additional pump for braking will react with a system that doesn't have the extra vacuum. Just something to keep in mind if you do this.

It may be more directly related to the booster operation.

Just giving you a heads up there is more involved in that system.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #20
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I am well aware. This car utilizes an additional one just for braking not engine vacuum like the ones you are referring to. That being said I don't know how well a hydraulic system that utilizes an additional pump for braking will react with a system that doesn't have the extra vacuum. Just something to keep in mind if you do this.

It may be more directly related to the booster operation.

Just giving you a heads up there is more involved in that system.
it is not an EXTRA vacuum, is separate vacuum.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #21
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
it is not an EXTRA vacuum, is separate vacuum.
extra vacuum pump" sorry. touchy today aren't we. Just trying to let him know in case he was unaware that it exist, its's not common knowledge to know there is an electric vacuum pump in the fender in tandem with the other. I don't remember much information on them since I haven't had to address one recently ,but it may be worth taking a look at since he is trying to do a retrofit of a master cylinder that works with a booster that utilizes it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 07:24 PM   #22
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
extra vacuum pump" sorry. touchy today aren't we. Just trying to let him know in case he was unaware that it exist, its's not common knowledge to know there is an electric vacuum pump in the fender in tandem with the other. I don't remember much information on them since I haven't had to address one recently ,but it may be worth taking a look at since he is trying to do a retrofit of a master cylinder that works with a booster that utilizes it.
Doesn't matter.
They bolt right up and it improves feel for the F30 retrofit on an E90.
How do I know?
I have the full swap with braided lines and the M3 master.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 2
jts1981212.50