E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Driver side halo lights died. What are my choices?

10-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
AssumingUnicorn
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i Coupe

Lightbulb Driver side halo lights died. What are my choices?

I've been looking all over the internet and since one side is out and I want to get it fixed ASAP, maybe this gives me a good time to finally jump to the white angel eye lights but I'm not sure how do that. Do I need to buy another set of brackets to mount the white angel eye lights or is what's with my car already good for doing that kind of job? I don't really want to spend anything over $100 for a pair so if there's no option for that, I'll just go with the standard yellow bulb and replace the dead one.

I've been looking at this for the standard bulb and can anyone confirm that this'll fit on my 2008 328i coupe e92? http://www.autozone.com/electrical-a...i-bulb/966125/

Or what are some other mods I can do to my light that I can't think of? I'd just like to get this done ASAP since driving around with 1 side light missing on a BMW just looks tacky.

EDIT: I'm not sure if it's angel eyes or daytime running lights, but it's the lights that are the 2 open circles on each side of the car when you first turn it on. I'm pretty sure they're daytime running lights.

EDIT2: I've been looking at the MTEC SuperWhite H8 Bulbs too: http://www.amazon.com/MTEC-2X-Super-.../dp/B004N2INYQ Is there any store in the US specifically around Washington that carries them?

Last edited by AssumingUnicorn; 10-25-2015 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
jskin1510
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335xi

You should just be able to replace the bulbs. As far as recommendations, mine are ok, and definitely nice for the price. I got them for like $45 for the pair, they definitely are white vs. the yellow/halogen look but they aren't all that bright. They look great at night time or on a cloudy day but if the car is facing the sun, it's tough to notice them.
couple pics from last winter when I first installed them. These are called "Angel eyes" or "halo rings"

These are "daytime running lights"
http://www.ijdmtoy.com/BLOG/Showcase...ghts-drl-3.jpg

Last edited by jskin1510; 10-25-2015 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: add pic
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
AssumingUnicorn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskin1510 View Post
You should just be able to replace the bulbs. As far as recommendations, mine are ok, and definitely nice for the price. I got them for like $45 for the pair, they definitely are white vs. the yellow/halogen look but they aren't all that bright. They look great at night time or on a cloudy day but if the car is facing the sun, it's tough to notice them.
couple pics from last winter when I first installed them. These are called "Angel eyes" or "halo rings"

These are "daytime running lights"
http://www.ijdmtoy.com/BLOG/Showcase...ghts-drl-3.jpg
Nice lights! Where did you buy your lights? I Googled GP Thunder 5000k because that's what it says under your car profile but I couldn't find any on Amazon or eBay for the price you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 08:41 PM   #4
codinge90
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Since you have a coupe you will need h8 bulbs for xenon headlights. Good thing is there are hundreds to choose from since you have xenon. I recommend you go to Amazon or eBay if you want something under 100. They won't be super super bright but they will definitely look better than stock yellow color and a tad brighter. I also recommend ijdmtoy, I believe that's the company name, they sell led bulbs for bmw's. As I said, you will need h8 xenon headlight led bulbs. If you do a standard search for 2008 e92 led bulbs you'll get a huge list of ones to choose from too. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssumingUnicorn View Post
I've been looking all over the internet and since one side is out and I want to get it fixed ASAP, maybe this gives me a good time to finally jump to the white angel eye lights but I'm not sure how do that. Do I need to buy another set of brackets to mount the white angel eye lights or is what's with my car already good for doing that kind of job? I don't really want to spend anything over $100 for a pair so if there's no option for that, I'll just go with the standard yellow bulb and replace the dead one.

I've been looking at this for the standard bulb and can anyone confirm that this'll fit on my 2008 328i coupe e92? http://www.autozone.com/electrical-a...i-bulb/966125/

Or what are some other mods I can do to my light that I can't think of? I'd just like to get this done ASAP since driving around with 1 side light missing on a BMW just looks tacky.

EDIT: I'm not sure if it's angel eyes or daytime running lights, but it's the lights that are the 2 open circles on each side of the car when you first turn it on. I'm pretty sure they're daytime running lights.

EDIT2: I've been looking at the MTEC SuperWhite H8 Bulbs too: http://www.amazon.com/MTEC-2X-Super-.../dp/B004N2INYQ Is there any store in the US specifically around Washington that carries them?
It sounds like you just need the angel eye bulbs for the car. Your car uses a H8 bulb and there are a lot of different choices out there for you

You can obviously go with the stock bulb to get it back working, or if you are looking for an inexpensive solution you can go with a more white bulb, like the MTEC ones you linked to above. halogen bulbs will still make the rings look dim and not give you a true white color since its a very warm white bulb with a blue coating over it.

If you are looking to make your car look more like the newer style lights with the bright white rings then a LED H8 bulb will be your best choice. I highly recommend looking at the vendor section http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=173 and reading reviews from Users about what they have to say about the lights out there. There are a lot of different options out there including the lights that we offer. Listen to what others say about the different lights
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

If you are considering an upgrade, our most popular seller is the HPB 160W H8 Angel Eye Upgrade and it will make your front end look fresh and new.

Consider buying from trusted supporting vendors that keep this forum alive, I know myself and others would appreciate it before buying on Amazon/Ebay.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 11:51 PM   #7
AssumingUnicorn
Rep

I went with the MTEC lights I was talking about. They're not bad for the price. I know it wasn't going to be pure white but for how much I paid, it'll do for now. I'll look more into the super bright white like the F series has when these start to die out. They look really bright when it's really dark outside though.

Looks like I need a glass cleaner to clean the lights too to get a better picture for next time. :P
Appreciate 0