F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Spotify Integration using Android: A Workaround
Extreme Powerhouse

10-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #1
bad karma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i F31 M-Sport

Spotify Integration using Android: A Workaround

I have seen a number of threads discussing the frustrating fact that Pandora/Spotify/BMW Apps integration only works via USB from an iPhone, not from an Android. As much as I hope that BMW releases native Android support for NBT iDrive, I don't see that happening in the immediate future. I wanted to post what I've done as a workaround in the meantime.

The secret is to get your hands on an older iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 (I got a 5S for free from work). From Craigslist, you can get an iPhone 4S in good condition for ~$60-80. The phone will not need any sort of cellular service to work. Just install Spotify/Pandora over WiFi, then just plug the iPhone into your center console USB port. It will stay charged and running indefinitely, though rebooting it once every week or two will help with performance.

Install Tasker on your Android phone, and set a task up that enables your mobile hotspot upon connecting to your BMW's Bluetooth. Then, using Workflow or a similar program on the iPhone, set it to automatically launch Spotify (or Pandora) when it connects to your mobile hotspot's WiFi.

When you enter your car the sequence of events will be something like:

Android phone connects to in-car Bluetooth --> Tasker triggers Wifi Hotspot --> iPhone sees the wireless network and automatically connects --> Workflow launches Spotify --> iDrive detects Spotify app is live and launches the Spotify BMW App --> Music works.

The whole process takes about 10 seconds after entering the car for me, and involves no input from me end-to-end before audio starts playing.

This gives you the full suite of BMW applications on your iDrive cluster without having to switch to using an iDevice as your primary phone. The whole setup costs under $100 (under $10 if you can get an old iPhone for free from a friend or relative) and is WELL worth it in my book to have the beautiful interface and album art onscreen. It is so much nicer (and safer) to browse Spotify playlists using iDrive than having to pull my phone out and fuck around with it while driving.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

I wish BMW would get with the program and make the iDrive work well with both Android and iPhones. Or just integrate Android Auto/Apple Carplay already. Its sad when you have economy cars with AA/AC and a 50k BMW has no such options.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 04:03 PM   #3
bad karma
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcrunch View Post
I wish BMW would get with the program and make the iDrive work well with both Android and iPhones. Or just integrate Android Auto/Apple Carplay already. Its sad when you have economy cars with AA/AC and a 50k BMW has no such options.
Don't worry, I'm sure by 2018 there will be a $3500 Technology Plus Premium Elite package that adds AA/AC, even though you'll be able to get it in a fucking base model Kia as a standard option.

I have quickly losing my love for the BMW brand as they continue their pursuit of making everything an "option" including things that are standard for any other car. Heated seats? Bluetooth integration? HIDs? Leather? Sure, you can technically buy a 3-series brand new for under $40k, but its going to have fewer options than a Camry. If you want it to look and behave like a luxury sedan you'd best expect to tack on another $10k+. My 328i F31 was over $56k and I am still missing a couple features.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2015, 06:59 PM   #4
rp2pilot
Rep
Drives: 2015 328 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad karma View Post
Don't worry, I'm sure by 2018 there will be a $3500 Technology Plus Premium Elite package that adds AA/AC, even though you'll be able to get it in a fucking base model Kia as a standard option.

^^^^^^^^ THAT made me laugh out loud. You are so correct. At times, I question whether I should have stuck with Acura rather than buying my first BMW (328 xDrive model). When I purchased my Acura TSX in 2006, it had two options .. Nav or no Nav, and Manual or Automatic. Everything else was standard .. leather, premium sound, auto climate control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 02:09 AM   #5
Simpaty
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d sedan F30

I also have a workaround which works great!
Change android to iPhone.
Change Spotify to Apple Music.

Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
rp2pilot
Rep
Drives: 2015 328 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpaty View Post

Enjoy
I'd rather switch to a KIA than switch to an iPhone .
Appreciate 4
      11-03-2015, 12:51 PM   #7
bad karma
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpaty View Post

Enjoy
The problem with that is it involves using an iPhone as my actual phone.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
Simpaty
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d sedan F30

I don't really want to go off topic with this (even though I know I will), but I have been an android fan as well. Had a nice Galaxy S4 (switched from an iphone5).

Last month I went back to iPhone5 (my old one), I AM SO HAPPY!! not only with BMW integration, I mean everything else "feels" just better (camera, interface, etc.). Not going back to Android...ever again.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

you dont really need a tasker..

just buy a cheap ipod touch 4th gen. connect it via usb arm rest.

just activate your hotspot tether while you aer walking and about to enter the car. your ipod will automatically connect thru your android phone.

all you need to do is just go to your idrive controller and connect it from there if you want pandora, spotify, amazon etc...

but for me, im using iphone 6 plus and dropped my subscription to spotify because its moer awesome. via bluetooth connection you can browse your playlist and scroll tracks as well
2009 X5 xDrive 30i
2008 135i Coupe
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #10
bad karma
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad78 View Post
you dont really need a tasker..

just buy a cheap ipod touch 4th gen. connect it via usb arm rest.

just activate your hotspot tether while you aer walking and about to enter the car. your ipod will automatically connect thru your android phone.

all you need to do is just go to your idrive controller and connect it from there if you want pandora, spotify, amazon etc...

but for me, im using iphone 6 plus and dropped my subscription to spotify because its moer awesome. via bluetooth connection you can browse your playlist and scroll tracks as well
Sure, you don't *need* Tasker. But it costs $3.99. It's worth four bucks to me to not have to dick with my phone every time I walk to my car, which is like half a dozen times a day or more.
Appreciate 0