F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Clamping phone to dashboard
GetBMWParts

11-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

Clamping phone to dashboard

Now I have a shiny new iPhone 6S+, my ConnectedDrive subscription has just expired and my three year old CIC system is showing its age I want to mount my phone somewhere accessible.

I'm fairly tall so I think clamping a phone holder to the top of the instrument cluster would be perfect - all it would obscure is the bonnet and, possibly, a tiny amount of the top of the instruments - but that wouldn't matter as I have a HUD. Attached is an annotated photo.

I have, however, been unable to find any holders that would do the trick despite some hours of research (including the likes of DealExtreme).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

If not, do you think there's a market for such a phone holder? Or are there regulatory safety issues with a phone being mounted there regardless of driver position? I can imagine it being a dangerous place to put it for shorter people.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
RalphyBMW
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xDrive MSport

Check out Brodit.se
They make some very smart dash brackets
      11-03-2015, 02:26 AM   #3
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

This is what I'm using. It is freaking sturdy. I use iPhone 6s and Asus Zenfone 2. Both phones don't cover any part of the screen, at least from where I sit!
One major advantage is that the air vent cools the phone since you just have to adhere (or put behind a case) the metal plate onto your phone/case/whatever. No more bulky mount and phone holder! Also, the phone sits pretty high (same level as the NBT screen) so it is less distracting than the CD mount or air vent mount...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
Attached Images

Last edited by mbfanos; 11-03-2015 at 02:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #4
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting, thanks! Can I ask, does the metal plate interfere with anything on the iPhone 6 like NFC/Apple Pay? Have you noticed the magnetic holder interfering with the phone compass when running satnav software?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
Interesting, thanks! Can I ask, does the metal plate interfere with anything on the iPhone 6 like NFC/Apple Pay? Have you noticed the magnetic holder interfering with the phone compass when running satnav software?
Not at all!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 03:47 AM   #6
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 320i msport

I use a kenu airframe+ mounted exactly where your arrow is. Just clips onto your vents and then has an expandable sprung grip to grip your phone,neither rubberised edges to protect your phone. They do two sizes depending on the size of your phone. The plus size fit my Xperia z3 and now my iPhone 6s+ in its leather case.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #7
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrklaw View Post
I use a kenu airframe+ mounted exactly where your arrow is. Just clips onto your vents and then has an expandable sprung grip to grip your phone,neither rubberised edges to protect your phone. They do two sizes depending on the size of your phone. The plus size fit my Xperia z3 and now my iPhone 6s+ in its leather case.
Thanks - I thought about vent mounts but didn't want to block the airflow as the handset pretty much covers an entire vent and I'd prefer not to block them like that.

I ended up settling for this instead. I think it'll be more practical in many ways than what I'd originally had in mind.

What it won't do, unfortunately, is allow me to use the iPhone as a dash cam - which I forgot to mention was one of the reasons I was thinking of clamping it to the top of the instrument panel.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 09:18 PM   #8
rp2pilot
Rep
Drives: 2015 328 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
Thanks - I thought about vent mounts but didn't want to block the airflow as the handset pretty much covers an entire vent and I'd prefer not to block them like that.

I ended up settling for this instead. I think it'll be more practical in many ways than what I'd originally had in mind.

What it won't do, unfortunately, is allow me to use the iPhone as a dash cam - which I forgot to mention was one of the reasons I was thinking of clamping it to the top of the instrument panel.
I use the same model. It works great and holds the phone quite securely. My only complaint is that the phone sits a little low for my tastes. I have seen some other cup holder mounts that extend up a little higher.
Appreciate 0