E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Halogen headlight lenses on Xenon Housing?

11-10-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
Young_Man
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Halogen headlight lenses on Xenon Housing?

Anybody know if the lenses from halogen headlights would fit on the xenon headlight housings?
AA Signature Exhaust / AA 3" Catless Downpipes / VRSF 7" FMIC / AFE Dual Cone Intake / ER Charge Pipe / Tial Q BOV / RPI Scoops / RB Upgraded PCV & Cap / BMS OCC / Alpina Trans Flash / Powered by JB4 G5 ISO
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 02:55 AM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

I believe they are different. I remember seeing a post here somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 02:09 AM   #3
amullo
Swedish F31 lightenthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320d xdrive Msport

Garage List
That would be intresting..
I have been playing with the idea of combining the outer Bi-Xenon on my LCI with the inner part from a halogen car to get the inner "flash to pass" aswell as better highbeam for nightdriving..

You remove the inside "cornerlight" that does jack-shit and install the fullbeam reflector from a halogen car. Bi-xenon lowbeam/highbeam with auxillary halogen highbeam to boost light output AND a separate old school bmw inside flash to pass option during DRL. The only downside is you would have to rebuild the DRL/AE´s to halogen spec or do without them altogether.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 09:16 PM   #4
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Man View Post
Anybody know if the lenses from halogen headlights would fit on the xenon headlight housings?
No they do not. The lenses are a slightly different shape and the halogen lenses lack the mounting (?) points required for mounting the eye brows. You'll see what I'm talking about if you look at the top of your headlight with the hood open and see that there are a couple of mounting points on the inside of the lens. Halogen lenses do not have these mounting points.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 10:43 PM   #5
perezr10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
No they do not. The lenses are a slightly different shape and the halogen lenses lack the mounting (?) points required for mounting the eye brows. You'll see what I'm talking about if you look at the top of your headlight with the hood open and see that there are a couple of mounting points on the inside of the lens. Halogen lenses do not have these mounting points.
There are no eyebrows in pre-lci lights. Are you getting these confused with lci lights?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 11:10 PM   #6
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by perezr10 View Post
There are no eyebrows in pre-lci lights. Are you getting these confused with lci lights?
LCI and Pre-LCI Xenons both have the mounting points on the inner part of the lenses. And I can't confirm 100% but LCI and pre-LCI's appear to have nearly identical lenses (I put a pair side by side tonight).

E90 LCI Xenons
Pre-lci Xenons have the same mounting points). Also a pair of mounting points on the topside of the lens.

E90 LCI Halogens
Possibly the same as pre-LCI halogens? Can't confirm. But they have no mounting points.

Hope this helps provide some clarification.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #7
perezr10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sedan

Ah, I see. The lenses are the same shape so someone like me with a 2008 pre-LCI car it wouldn't matter since there are no eyebrows. But for someone with a 2009-2011 car you would need to get the xenon lenses.

Thanks for the pictures.

I only asked for clarification because I'm in the process of shopping for new lenses for my xenon adaptive headlights. I want that new look without paying $1000+. The restoration kits work but I'm tired of doing it every three months.

To me, all the work of maintaining a nice paint finish is in vain if your headlights look really weathered. Your headlights can really date your car if they are all cloudy and spiderwebbed. It's like wrinkles around your eyes.
Appreciate 0