E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > FRM Question!

11-11-2015, 07:44 PM   #1
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
FRM Question!

I'm converting from adaptive pre-LCI to adaptive LCI Xenons this next week. Question: If I swap the from FRM to FRM3 right now without any coding, will my current headlights still work?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Head lights will work. You will have an error message
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Unless you are upgrading to gain welcome lighting and AE as DRL, there is no need to upgrade for pre-LCI to LCI adaptive xenon headlight conversion.

If you do not upgrade the FRM, the 3 LEDs in the corner of the LCI housings will not work. However, it can easily be jumped to supply power to the LEDs. Most people actually don't like them anyway and leave them off.

Only other thing to do is code off bulb check for front turn signals.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #4
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
Unless you are upgrading to gain welcome lighting and AE as DRL, there is no need to upgrade for pre-LCI to LCI adaptive xenon headlight conversion.

If you do not upgrade the FRM, the 3 LEDs in the corner of the LCI housings will not work. However, it can easily be jumped to supply power to the LEDs. Most people actually don't like them anyway and leave them off.

Thanks for the help. Yes to the AE DRL's. I'll also be converting to LCI tails which appear to also require FRM3 (?).
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Thanks for the help. Yes to the AE DRL's. I'll also be converting to LCI tails which appear to also require FRM3 (?).
I hardwired my AE to my cigg lighter since it's switched with ignition. Then added a switch to control the AE if so needed.

You don't even need to pass any wiring through the firewall.

The FRM sits right by the OBDII port. I found the pinouts for the AE and used a quicktap to jump both AE circuits with the cigg lighter.

FRM pinouts: https://www.bmwgm5.com/bmwgm5/

LCI taillight do not require FRM3.

I have coded LCI taillights multiple times for FRM1 and FRM2 cars. You need to disable the turn signals, brake lights, and brake force display build checks and works as it should.

Also, some FRM1 modules have AE as DRL and WL (welcome lighting) as an option. You can try pushing the latest software to your FRM to gain AE as DRL and WL.

I know many will say this is not true. I used to think so as well until I coded a 10/06 build E92 335i with FRM1/FRMFA in it and it had AE as DRL and WL.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Nr!qUe69.50
lab_rat394.50
      02-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #6
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I hardwired my AE to my cigg lighter since it's switched with ignition. Then added a switch to control the AE if so needed.

You don't even need to pass any wiring through the firewall.

The FRM sits right by the OBDII port. I found the pinouts for the AE and used a quicktap to jump both AE circuits with the cigg lighter.

FRM pinouts: https://www.bmwgm5.com/bmwgm5/

LCI taillight do not require FRM3.

I have coded LCI taillights multiple times for FRM1 and FRM2 cars. You need to disable the turn signals, brake lights, and brake force display build checks and works as it should.

Also, some FRM1 modules have AE as DRL and WL (welcome lighting) as an option. You can try pushing the latest software to your FRM to gain AE as DRL and WL.

I know many will say this is not true. I used to think so as well until I coded a 10/06 build E92 335i with FRM1/FRMFA in it and it had AE as DRL and WL.
Meant to ask previously, what is needed so that the led front and rear turn signals no longer blink quickly?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 08:38 AM   #7
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:

The swap is complete, and everything coded well on the FRM3. Except that now we're getting this 'strobing/flickering' from only the front turn signals when they are used. No matter what we do, we're unable to get them to work properly when the engine is turned on. Have either of you experienced this or have any recommendations? Bad FRM?

Here's a video I took of the issue:
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 10:28 AM   #8
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1
Quote:
Quote:

The swap is complete, and everything coded well on the FRM3. Except that now we're getting this 'strobing/flickering' from only the front turn signals when they are used. No matter what we do, we're unable to get them to work properly when the engine is turned on. Have either of you experienced this or have any recommendations? Bad FRM?

Here's a video I took of the issue:
If you have LED turn signals, you need to add a resistor to them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004ED...W5FFM4RKKJH5JC
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 07:02 PM   #9
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Do you speak from experience or is it just an educated guess? Just curious as they work fine when the car is in ACC mode, it's only when the engine is on that they strobe/flicker. And it's not the usually "quick blinking" that a resistor is typically used for when going from a filament type bulb to an LED. It's very odd.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 07:59 PM   #10
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Bump anyone? Wondering if it's just a bad FRM
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #11
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Do you speak from experience or is it just an educated guess? Just curious as they work fine when the car is in ACC mode, it's only when the engine is on that they strobe/flicker. And it's not the usually "quick blinking" that a resistor is typically used for when going from a filament type bulb to an LED. It's very odd.
I have installed them on my 335i for my reverse lights.

However, it's my understanding that an FRM 3 is supposed to allow LED lights to function normally.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2016, 11:41 PM   #12
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

However, it's my understanding that an FRM 3 is supposed to allow LED lights to function normally.
I'm wondering if it's just a bad FRM3. With the stock FRM1 the lights blinked faster (i.e.: something a resistor could fix), but there was no flickering or strobing
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 07:03 AM   #13
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I'm wondering if it's just a bad FRM3. With the stock FRM1 the lights blinked faster (i.e.: something a resistor could fix), but there was no flickering or strobing
I think BMW had a recall on FRM 3 modules about 12-3 months ago. I know this because I had to replace the one on my wife's x5 last winter. It's was really difficult to find an FRM 3 module because of this. I finally tracked one down for really cheap at a BMW dealer in NJ. I think I might have paid $300.00 shipping included. Had it in 3 days time too.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #14
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep

You code the warm and cold bulb checks off to prevent the flickering/hyper flashing.

Have done it on hundreds of cars.

Using a resistor defeats the purpose of using low powered LEDs. The resistor uses up the excess current to prevent the bulb out warning and it is wasted as heat, thus the large size/heatsinking of the resistor.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #15
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

BMWhat, the APP
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #16
riso1988
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 440i xDrive GC, '06 330xi

wondering how this worked out? I'm doing a Pre-LCI adaptive to LCI adaptive conversion and hope to keep my FRM. I already converted my tails and coded to work with original FRM (a few years back).

I have AE already on my pre-lci headlights with the Daeos Vista wiring harness. Hoping it continues to work with the LCI headlights. If so it should just be plug and play aside from the wiring for the 3 side leds? Do I need to wire those to ensure AEs dim when headlights go on? Thanks!
Appreciate 0