F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive was dead within a month (1600KM)
ARMA SPEED

11-17-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
johnjohn444
Rep
Drives: F36

iDrive was dead within a month (1600KM)

Anybody experience iDrive was dead within a month? Things happen when i am driving and suddenly the iDrive turns black. I re-start the car and it doesn't come back. Checked the fuse and nothing goes wrong. Go back to BMW service, after the checking they said the iDrive is dead and it might caused by the retrofit BMW LED.

Mine is a 2015 428 GC, the day before I change my original halogen fog light to BMW retrofit LED fog light. I didn't do it myself, I went to an experienced shop (who used to do modifications for many BMWs) to get done. They did all the coding for me and the LED was working fine. After the BMW service reload all the software and of course they find out i changed the LED. They said that it might be possible for the LED to cause the dead of the iDrive. Does anybody have any comment on this? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:46 AM   #2
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Was the retrofit kit an official BMW kit? I'm curious what the part number is.

If it's just you buying some LCI parts and then coding them to your car, then you might find you're out of luck and BMW will argue you meddled with the car inappropriately.

This is why I never ever code my car until it's out of the manufacturers warranty and if I do, I tell myself if I screw it up, I pay the costs.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I doubt that any coding of FEM_BODY will cause this. I've coded all of my lights, changed my fog lights to 4 types of LED bulbs and changed the voltage coding and nothing ever happened. I suspect it's simply a faulty unit and they're trying to pin it on you in order to not pay for it themselves.
      11-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
johnjohn444
Rep
Drives: F36

Actually they didn't bill on me. They just replace a new one for free. In my knowledge, I don't think coding the light would affect the iDrive. Just see if it is only an coincidence or something I don't know.

Yes the BMW might able to void anything if we do modifications, however there must be a fact that something goes wrong and that's why we have a forum like this.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
rustyminded
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I had my hard drive in headunit was out before so when i was going to do on warranty they saw the M performance logo in cluster they blamed it on this and said "you changed the car whole software" lol screw them they'll do anything so you can stay stock
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 05:10 PM   #6
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyminded View Post
I had my hard drive in headunit was out before so when i was going to do on warranty they saw the M performance logo in cluster they blamed it on this and said "you changed the car whole software" lol screw them they'll do anything so you can stay stock
Specially in the Middle East. Filling up the windshield nozzles with non BMW water can lead to engine failure. A truthful exaggeration of how they think.