F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Streaming audio over USB
Extreme Powerhouse

11-19-2015, 02:50 AM   #1
MPJ88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G32 640i

Streaming audio over USB

Hi all,

I have an 2013 F30 330D with Harman Kardon system.

The main way I've listened to music in past cars is via Spotify on an android phone. This will either be by streaming or from downloaded playlists with the quality set to "extreme". In one car this was with an aux cable and another was via BT

My car came with no enhanced Bluetooth, so I've enabled it as all the hardware was there. The function is now working OK and I've been able to play music from spotify over Bluetooth to the car. I say ok because to me there is a noticeable difference in quality when using the BT source as opposed to music on a USB stick connected in the arm rest. I also sometimes get some intermittent noise which really bugs me!

One of the main reasons I haven't just used an aux cable is because when i do that the tracks seem to be a lot "bassier". Probably something to do with the fact the audio is being processed by the DAC in my phone as opposed to the car. I could alter the EQ settings but my current settings work great for radio and USB media.

So my question is - Is there anyway to play streamed music from my phone over the USB connection? I know the car can access the internal storage of my phone but its not coming from there.

Sorry if any of that is unclear and hopefully someone can help.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #2
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

have you tried from the other usb port in the glove box? for some reason i think these 2 ports have different functionality.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
MPJ88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Oh! Did not know about that port. I'll try when i go down to the car tonight.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 02:44 AM   #4
MPJ88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sadly this didnt work.

Looking at the options in the media player I don't think it is an option. There's only one symbol that is never active which looks like a phone dock. I'm not sure what this is.

It was even more apparent the difference in quality to me last night. I'd be really annoyed if i'd paid for that option!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #5
BlauWeiss
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i RWD

Same problem here using Android 5.1 phone - Spotify only plays via BT and gives me song/artist info, but no album artwork and no ability to interact with Spotify other than "next" or "previous", both without preview. Also, song/artist info fails to update if I turn engine off, then let the car resume playback automatically when restarting.

No ability to play Spotify via USB.

Only if I manually upload MP3 songs to the phone do I get full features. Frustrating.

My 2012 car has Advanced BT, but no apps package. Downloaded latest BMW firmware for multimedia system, but no difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #6
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

get a newer AptX capable BT 4.0 dongle
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 03:43 AM   #7
MPJ88
Enlisted Member
Rep

I found equaliser settings on my phone so I could level it out to be the same as the other sources (usb and radio).

So far been using aux cable. A hit annoying as can't change tracks with idrive and have to touch phone but the sou duality is a lot better that BT.

Do you think a bt 4.0 aptx device would be better quality? And do you mean for the car?
Appreciate 0