F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > IDrive turns off when car starts
Extreme Powerhouse

11-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
SalpacinoBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

IDrive turns off when car starts

So i recently starting having an issue where the monitor turns off after the car turns back on after stopping at a light. The monitor stays on when i come to the stop and the car shuts off. The issue is happening when i let go of the break making the car turn back on the monitor shuts off along with the sound then comes fades back in after a few seconds. To me it sounds like there might be something not plugged in all the way but not even sure. Anyone experience this issue or know what the actual issue is here and how to fix it? Unfortunately my warranty is up and i'm not too excited on taking it to the dealer and them fixing it cause i know it will come with a big price tag. Any help is appreciated. Below is a quick clip of this happening.

https://youtu.be/24LhIndAf8w
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

I've had something similar where the speakers gave an audible thud when the screen went dark and then a red no signal error on the screen. A few seconds later it rebooted, then did it again, rebooted again and never had it since..

Sounds like bad or loose wiring/connector somewhere and the car coming back on creates a spike. Might be a relatively easy fix depending on where it is not sure if you know how to get to the wires behind the trim though else just take it in I'm afraid!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
SalpacinoBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols
I've had something similar where the speakers gave an audible thud when the screen went dark and then a red no signal error on the screen. A few seconds later it rebooted, then did it again, rebooted again and never had it since..

Sounds like bad or loose wiring/connector somewhere and the car coming back on creates a spike. Might be a relatively easy fix depending on where it is not sure if you know how to get to the wires behind the trim though else just take it in I'm afraid!
Not sure how to get behind that trim but I will look around on some of these threads and see if I can grind something. I appreciate you pouting in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalpacinoBMW View Post
Not sure how to get behind that trim but I will look around on some of these threads and see if I can grind something. I appreciate you pouting in the right direction.
Yeah I remember in the E90 it was pretty easy to get behind the screen etc and check the wires but not sure about F3x haven't seen the inside of it yet!

Good luck and keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

I'm curious...what if you shut ASS off? Does it act like that ever while you're driving?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
SalpacinoBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan
I'm curious...what if you shut ASS off? Does it act like that ever while you're driving?
If I shut ass off it does not happen ever. It's only when it's on and come to a stop for a few seconds while waiting for a light and whine turns back on it shuts off. And now it doesn't happen everytime but does happen every drive if ass is on.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #7
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalpacinoBMW
So i recently starting having an issue where the monitor turns off after the car turns back on after stopping at a light. The monitor stays on when i come to the stop and the car shuts off. The issue is happening when i let go of the break making the car turn back on the monitor shuts off along with the sound then comes fades back in after a few seconds. To me it sounds like there might be something not plugged in all the way but not even sure. Anyone experience this issue or know what the actual issue is here and how to fix it? Unfortunately my warranty is up and i'm not too excited on taking it to the dealer and them fixing it cause i know it will come with a big price tag. Any help is appreciated. Below is a quick clip of this happening.

Your car still under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #8
SalpacinoBMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalpacinoBMW

Your car still under warranty?
Unfortunately not. That is my dilemma
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #9
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Seems like there's electrical noise or interruption associated with the restart of ASS. I'd think if it was a loose connection to the head unit you'd see it a some point even with ASS off.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #10
SalpacinoBMW
Private
Rep

Good point. Been searching and can't find nothing but will keep looking. Taking it to the dealer will be my last resort. But will if I need to.
Appreciate 0