E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > back to square 1

11-21-2015, 02:51 PM   #1
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

back to square 1

I was almost sure I was going to be driving a 2016 M235i early next year. I went today to close the deal and the dealer offered me 15 000$ for my car as a trade in and it was just too low !!. They are selling my car for 23k -24k on the lot so I was hoping to get at least 17 k since there is almost no work to be done on my car but still the dealer did not want to do more. Private sale was not an option since I would be waiting 3 months for the new car to arrive. I was going to be in debt for 38 000 after trading in my 2011 328XI with only 35 000 miles, so as much as I like the M235 , it was just too dumb of a deal to make for me ( maybe if I was single I would ve done it)

Anyways now I ve decided to keep my car and use it as a daily and winter ( canadian winter), low miles and AWD , plus it has decent power for everyday driving. In the other hand I have 20 000 $ budget to buy a weekend car that I can mess with . The only condition is that I keep it for 10 years ( Im sure after 8 I can push for another one). I m looking for something out of warranty that I m not afraid to put headers or lowered , etc, etc.

There is a lot of options in the used car department for that price n54 335 coupe, genesis coupe V8, 370z, challenger r/t, mustang gt, camaro SS, subaru wrx sti. I would like something somewhat reliable and easy to work on , with a lot of aftermarket support and with at least 300 HP range to start. I m thinking mainly straight line performance as track can get really expensive. Although I would like to do the odd track day for fun once a year

I m leaning towards the challenger R/T as it looks bad ass but I keep reading it handles like a boat and I m not sure I would like that, 370z looks bad ass too but only 2 seat may be a problem as I have a toddler and I may need to use this car once in a blue moon to pick her up. Camaro SS would be nice but I m not convince about the outside and they are really common here. Mustang GT looks very outdated but is probably the best one handling and straight line, N54 335i is the one I like the most but maintenance cost really scares me as I already have a BMW and I know out of warranty they can be really expensive to maintain. Subaru wrx sti I like a lot but I already have a 4 door AWD . Genesis is the cheapest and it looks nice too but is still a hyunday !.

I m 32 , married with kids so I want something I can keep for the next 10 years as I highly doubt I ll be able to buy another toy for 20k anytime soon .

Any suggestion would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Last gen WRX/STI hatch.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
335commuter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

If you really want a weekend sports car. The only real option is Cayman or boxster in the rice range. You mentioned straight line speed, but the sound and handling of those two will win you over. You at least need to test drive them. As fr as kids, do you really want to put them in a sub 20k sports car? Mine won't even ride in the 335 (although if it was a sedan, I would let them).
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 04:14 PM   #4
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335commuter View Post
If you really want a weekend sports car. The only real option is Cayman or boxster in the rice range. You mentioned straight line speed, but the sound and handling of those two will win you over. You at least need to test drive them. As fr as kids, do you really want to put them in a sub 20k sports car? Mine won't even ride in the 335 (although if it was a sedan, I would let them).
I agree. I dont plan on putting my kid in this car, however there may be the odd time where I m going to be force to do it. I keep going back and forth as I would really like to consider a C5 corvette, 370z , cayman. boxter ,

I dont want to be irresponsible ... I just found a couple of 370z that looks great for that price rance. Have not even look at cayman or boxter but I would imagine they are also around that price range
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #5
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Last gen WRX/STI hatch.
I will not be able to find a STI for that price however WRX are in my price range. However they need some work to get them running close to what I want. I want something a little more special I guess.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

You want something special? In Canada here they are a dime a dozen, but in the US, a skyline GTR is pretty rare, or anything you can get under the 25 year rule over there, that might be something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 08:15 PM   #7
335commuter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
I agree. I dont plan on putting my kid in this car, however there may be the odd time where I m going to be force to do it. I keep going back and forth as I would really like to consider a C5 corvette, 370z , cayman. boxter ,

I dont want to be irresponsible ... I just found a couple of 370z that looks great for that price rance. Have not even look at cayman or boxter but I would imagine they are also around that price range
You really should at least look at them. The handling and sound is just that good. None of the other cars you mentioned compare from a true sports car perspective.
Appreciate 0