E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Please help undestand BMW extended warranty for 2011 plus

11-21-2015, 09:35 PM   #1
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Please help undestand BMW extended warranty for 2011 plus

I went to the dealer today to extend my BMW warranty and the lady gave me some prices

1 extra years - 2500 $
2 extra years - 3500 $
3 extra years - 4500 $

I asked her what was the difference between the 4 year warranty and the extended warranty and she told me they are the same warranty and she gave a list of what is not included which is wear and tear items.

I m doing some research now and I found out cars made 2011 and after have a bmw extended warranty instead of the coverage one the older bmw used to have as extended warranty. I also read that the extended bmw offers is a powertrain plus warranty which does not include a lot of items such as air condition , steering , sunroof , power windows , etc ,etc so its not even close to the 4 year warranty.

Am I missing something here? ....
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100
I found out cars made 2011 and after have a bmw extended warranty instead of the coverage one the older bmw used to have as extended warranty.
??? perhaps you are referring to the fact that a 2011 today might be offered with ...
A) BMW NA backed CPO warranty extension which automatically takes effect after the new car warranty ends.
B) 'the coverage one the older bmw used to have as extended warranty' is simply an insurance policy sold by some 3rd party extended warranty company which is not affiliated with BMW NA in any way ?!

Both A and B exclude items which are covered under the New Car Warranty (bumper to bumper warranty). B might exclude items which are included in A, but you know that only by reading the detailed terms and conditions information which is often never shown to folks on the day they are selling you the policy. (For that matter, the exclusions of the CPO are often undisclosed on the day you buy the CPO car, as they are legalese details which might make the buyer spin out of control for a while during the car selling process).

Furthermore, in addition to the CPO, BMW also does seem to offer several tiers of 'extended warranty',
  • Powertrain Plus
  • Gold
  • Platinum

and the CPO is equivalent to the Gold, unless you pay to upgrade to Platinum, which includes 'electronics' (iDrive, entertainment) coverage.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #3
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
??? perhaps you are referring to the fact that a 2011 today might be offered with ...
A) BMW NA backed CPO warranty extension which automatically takes effect after the new car warranty ends.
B) 'the coverage one the older bmw used to have as extended warranty' is simply an insurance policy sold by some 3rd party extended warranty company which is not affiliated with BMW NA in any way ?!

Both A and B exclude items which are covered under the New Car Warranty (bumper to bumper warranty). B might exclude items which are included in A, but you know that only by reading the detailed terms and conditions information which is often never shown to folks on the day they are selling you the policy. (For that matter, the exclusions of the CPO are often undisclosed on the day you buy the CPO car, as they are legalese details which might make the buyer spin out of control for a while during the car selling process).

Furthermore, in addition to the CPO, BMW also does seem to offer several tiers of 'extended warranty',
  • Powertrain Plus
  • Gold
  • Platinum

and the CPO is equivalent to the Gold, unless you pay to upgrade to Platinum, which includes 'electronics' (iDrive, entertainment) coverage.
CPO is certifed pre owned. I m talking about the extended warranty BMW offers after your 4 year warranty is over. I have read that the extended warranty offered by BMW is not the gold warranty , is actually the powertrain plus which does not cover a lot of items suchs air conditioning, electrical , any components related to brakes and steering wheel.

I guess what I m trying to get at is that the lady that gave me the prices said that the extended warranty covers the samething the original warranty covers except for schedule maintenance ( oil changes , etc)

I m buying a third car now , and I m debating whether to get it or not , but at 5500 $ for an extra 3 years I just do not know if its even worth it. My car only has 35000 miles
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
Wilt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
CPO is certifed pre owned. I m talking about the extended warranty BMW offers after your 4 year warranty is over. I have read that the extended warranty offered by BMW is not the gold warranty , is actually the powertrain plus which does not cover a lot of items suchs air conditioning, electrical , any components related to brakes and steering wheel.

I guess what I m trying to get at is that the lady that gave me the prices said that the extended warranty covers the same thing the original warranty covers except for schedule maintenance ( oil changes , etc)

I m buying a third car now , and I m debating whether to get it or not , but at 5500 $ for an extra 3 years I just do not know if its even worth it. My car only has 35000 miles
I don't know what level of BMW extended warranty is offered to the original buyers of the new car...Powertrain vs. Gold.
But I can say with certainty that it certainly is NEVER 'same as new car warranty'. Read these PDFs for specifics

http://content.bmwusa.com/microsite/...P_brochure.pdf

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...contracts.aspx on this web page there is a link to download the 'Extended Service Contract Coverage Guide' PDF

...a PDF of a BMW NA brochure on their extended warranty offers, and you see in the Coverage Levels graphic on page 2 that the New Car Warranty is larger in scope than even the most expensive (Platinum) policy. As I said earlier, the CPO warranty is equivalent to the Gold coverage.

The CPO broadly excludes (things which ARE included in New Car warranty) these areas (summarized) (in my official CPO owner documentation)
  • Suspension
  • Body
  • Interior
  • Accessories

Last edited by Wilt; 11-22-2015 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #5
m42stanle
N52B25
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI (323i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post

I guess what I m trying to get at is that the lady that gave me the prices said that the extended warranty covers the samething the original warranty covers except for schedule maintenance ( oil changes , etc)

Guys, note OP is in Canada so the extended warranty is a little different up here. Contrary to what some other posters have said, the Canadian product (unlike CPO in US and Canada) actually *is* a simple extension of the new car limited warranty.

I am looking at my extended warranty agreement right now (I purchased this in Dec 2013) and the contract is two pages and worded fairly simply: "This Agreement, unless terminated earlier pursuant to the provisions hereof, extends the New Car Limited Warranty that would otherwise apply to the Vehicle, until the end of the Term." The exclusions are very limited and no real surprises (does not cover body panel/glass damage, squeaks, tire/wheel damage, damage due to participation in "race events" etc). OP, if you PM me I can send you my PDF warranty agreement signed by BMW so you can see what you would be buying.

In terms of pricing, note there is a LOT of profit for the dealer in these products and there is room for negotiation. List price at the time I bought was as follows for 3-series: (all prices CAD$)
$2,799 - 6 yr / 160k km
$2,899 - 6-yr / 200k km
$3,699 - 7-yr / 160k km
$3,799 - 7-yr / 200k km
(5-yr/200k km is a new version of the product, was not available when I bought)

FYI I bought mine online right from BMW corporate (bmwshop.ca) not a dealer in Dec 2013 with a $450 discount code (they mail you these codes almost every year your car is under warranty if you are original owner). I paid $3,671.37 all in (incl HST) for 7-yr/160k km. If you are buying from a dealer they should be able to match or beat this discount.

Overall I would recommend this product if you plan to keep the car for a while. I have claimed against it a couple of times, but I would view it as an insurance policy. Don't expect to get your money back in repairs as non-turbo E90 are generally pretty reliable.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #6
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m42stanle View Post
Guys, note OP is in Canada so the extended warranty is a little different up here. Contrary to what some other posters have said, the Canadian product (unlike CPO in US and Canada) actually *is* a simple extension of the new car limited warranty.

I am looking at my extended warranty agreement right now (I purchased this in Dec 2013) and the contract is two pages and worded fairly simply: "This Agreement, unless terminated earlier pursuant to the provisions hereof, extends the New Car Limited Warranty that would otherwise apply to the Vehicle, until the end of the Term." The exclusions are very limited and no real surprises (does not cover body panel/glass damage, squeaks, tire/wheel damage, damage due to participation in "race events" etc). OP, if you PM me I can send you my PDF warranty agreement signed by BMW so you can see what you would be buying.

In terms of pricing, note there is a LOT of profit for the dealer in these products and there is room for negotiation. List price at the time I bought was as follows for 3-series: (all prices CAD$)
$2,799 - 6 yr / 160k km
$2,899 - 6-yr / 200k km
$3,699 - 7-yr / 160k km
$3,799 - 7-yr / 200k km

FYI I bought mine online right from BMW corporate (bmwshop.ca) not a dealer in Dec 2013 with a $450 discount code (they mail you these codes almost every year your car is under warranty if you are original owner). I paid $3,671.37 all in (incl HST) for 7-yr/160k km. If you are buying from a dealer they should be able to match or beat this discount.

Overall I would recommend this product if you plan to keep the car for a while. I have claimed against it a couple of times, but I would view it as an insurance policy. Don't expect to get your money back in repairs as non-turbo E90 are generally pretty reliable.
thank you , please send me a pm with the agreement

Im still debating on whether it is worth it as I do plan on keeping the car for a while however if it becomes a pain in the butt i would just sell it . I dont want to keep going to the dealer to get stuff fix even if it is still under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
easy66
Private
United_States
Rep

Not quite sure if it's worth it. If it doesn't cover wear and tear items, brake pads and rotors are not included either... if you had no leaks or problems with your car in the past three years, i suggest you not to buy.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 06:00 PM   #8
dannyhavok
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 328xi 6MT

When I bought my CPO car a few weeks ago, it wasn't an additional charge, just part of the sticker price, which was quite competitive compared to similar local cars. Is it normal to offer CPO as an add-on?

I have two years of CPO coverage, and I did opt to buy four years of 3rd party coverage beginning at the end of the two year BMW warranty, for $2250.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #9
AX75F92
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

What are some good 3rd party options?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 11:04 PM   #10
B.M.W.
Something Danger Zone
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E46 M3

Route 66 is my preferred warranty. Cheaper, easier to work with, will work on modified cars (they don't send someone to checkout your car) and have great customer service.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #11
Wilt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Guys, note OP is in Canada so the extended warranty is a little different up here.
the key to the whole issue!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 03:11 AM   #12
AX75F92
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Ty for the info
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 08:18 AM   #13
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

My CPO warranty expires soon, so I just purchased a Route 66 from my credit union yesterday. Cost $2499 for 3 years coverage.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #14
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Honestly, I don't see how their warranty is even worth it. When I was buying out my car, I asked them about it, and the 3 years was $4500 (like the OP listed). I told the guy that if I expected that I'd need $4500 in repairs on a "new" car in 3 years, I'd light it on fire, and push it off a cliff.

Really, if you're willing to spend that dough on warranty, you'd be better to put the $2k/yr away in your sock drawer in case you have a problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 07:42 PM   #15
CookMaster
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 TB

I think that once your outside of your original warranty or cpo warranty that you would only buy an extended or third party because you can't afford a big expense. That said, the manufacturers and third party company know what your exposed risk is, so they are willing to "offer" you a good deal in case a high priced failure occurs. They know and you normally don't. That's why truly reading the threads about maintenance issues puts you in the driver seat, not the sucker payola seat. Don't fall for these pitches. Save the money you would have paid for this coverage for your rainy day. Despite their sales pitches, our cars are pretty reliable if modestly maintained.
      11-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #16
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

It's an insurance policy - no more, no less. I've had 3-4 repairs under CPO that would've each cost well over $1K:
- Fried FRM module
- Fried instrument cluster
- Sheared engine mount bolts

My water pump hasn't died (yet), so I assume that's in my future. And who knows what else.

Plus, I really like my car and want to keep driving it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #17
dannyhavok
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookMaster View Post
I think that once your outside of your original warranty or cpo warranty that you would only buy an extended or third party because you can't afford a big expense. That said, the manufacturers and third party company know what your exposed risk is, so they are willing to "offer" you a good deal in case a high priced failure occurs. They know and you normally don't. That's why truly reading the threads about maintenance issues puts you in the driver seat, not the sucker payola seat. Don't fall for these pitches. Save the money you would have paid for this coverage for your rainy day. Despite their sales pitches, our cars are pretty reliable if modestly maintained.
My warranty is partially refundable and I think a lot of companies offer this kind of option. Of the $2500 I paid, if I don't use the warranty I can choose three options.

1) Take $1000 cash
2) Take $2000 credit at the BMW Dealership i bought it from (parts, service, down payment on a new car, whatever.)
3) Take $2500 and apply it as a warranty to a new car

At the end of the day the total cost of "peace of mind" is so low I couldn't see a reason to not get it. With labour rates of $140/h it doesn't take long to get $2500 worth of repairs over four years. Just replacing a few leaky hoses on the MINI was something like $1100 (covered by extended warranty.)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #18
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:

$2,799 - 6 yr / 160k km
$2,899 - 6-yr / 200k km
$3,699 - 7-yr / 160k km
$3,799 - 7-yr / 200k km

Note that 7 years means 3 years past the original 4 years. 6 years means 2 years extra, etc. I don't like the terminology.

I'm planning to buy my car in a few months when my lease is up, and I'm also looking at warranty coverage and options. I will check the website. The prices quoted by my dealer are notably higher than those above :-(
Appreciate 0