F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328d feels like it's missing
Studio RSR

11-23-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

328d feels like it's missing

This has been something that's been going on for the last couple of months, but at first start up for the day, it seems like it has a misfire at idle. Now after I drive a couple of miles, it stops doing it, and on a warm start after its been ran, it doesn't do it. Anyone have any ideas on what's going on, it only has 43k on it, so it shouldn't be anything major, just thought I'd ask, especially given that this engine has been in Europe for quite some time now.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 08:10 AM   #2
Gabreigns
Major
Rep
Drives: F3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamr916
This has been something that's been going on for the last couple of months, but at first start up for the day, it seems like it has a misfire at idle. Now after I drive a couple of miles, it stops doing it, and on a warm start after its been ran, it doesn't do it. Anyone have any ideas on what's going on, it only has 43k on it, so it shouldn't be anything major, just thought I'd ask, especially given that this engine has been in Europe for quite some time now.
Curious. I have the same engine with about 47000 miles but have not had an issue like you mentioned. But then again most of our daily starts are in a garage where the minimum and max temperature is always between 64 and 82. Subscribing to this post to see what others respond.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

I would say one of two things:
1) Glow plug not working - but that should trip the SEL. Might want to have them checked, however.
2) Bad diesel with too low cetane. Try to find something with at least 50 cetane to see if it goes away. Or try a cetane booster.

Most diesel in TX metro counties should be 48: https://www.tceq.texas.gov/airqualit...eandiesel.html
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
JoePark
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 428D Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamr916 View Post
Bad diesel and $9500 engine fuel system refit required.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep

I doubt that, I only fill up at shell stations(not the stop and robs, the nice stations), and it runs fine after its warmed up. I filled up at a different station last night, so I'll have to see how that does when I take it out tomorrow. It stays parked in a garage and I use my truck as a daily. It gets driven only on the weekends and if I go out during the week after work.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #6
JoePark
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 428D Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamr916 View Post
I doubt that, I only fill up at shell stations(not the stop and robs, the nice stations), and it runs fine after its warmed up. I filled up at a different station last night, so I'll have to see how that does when I take it out tomorrow. It stays parked in a garage and I use my truck as a daily. It gets driven only on the weekends and if I go out during the week after work.
Hope and assume you're right. My bad diesel batch came from Shell
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePark View Post
Bad diesel and $9500 engine fuel system refit required.
What a load of absolute crap.
If you can really diagnose such huge failures from a minimal description - and from an engine which, as described, runs absolutely fine when warm then you have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever.

The most likely causes are the fuel filter getting clogged up, or a glow plug failing.
Please note that unlike our 'expert' above, I don't guarantee that's going to cover the problems, but I'd say it's a fairly decent bet.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #8
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well, so far with the first day with this new tank, it seems to have stopped missing, and it sounds normal when accelerating now.
Appreciate 0