F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 2016 X3, where to power the dash-camera ?thanks
proTUNING Freaks

11-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
gofunner
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3

2016 X3, where to power the dash-camera ?thanks

I had a new model of 2016 X3 recently. I want to install a dash-camera of the BlackVue( 2 Channel ,DR650GW). When I bought this camera from Amazon, this order also came with a product “power magic pro” for free.
No matter what kind of car people drive,lots of them did “ hardwire the fuse box ” to continuously give the power supply to the camera for couple more hours of recording or even longer, after car engine is OFF and in parking mode.

However, In my case, all I need from the camera is recording the live traffic status when car is running on streets. After car ignition is OFF and parked, I don’t need recording anymore. The camera can be powered OFF then. For this purpose, friends, do I really have to hardwire the “power magic pro” with some fuse ? I don’t want to ruin this brand new car and risk of losing the warranty if I touch and change any electric purposely myself.

I am thinking, another simple way to serve my purpose, would be to plug the camera 12V jack into the spare cigar jack socket in the trunk. I barely use this spare socket usually. When this car engine is shut off completely, the cigar jack would be powered OFF soon within 20-30 min(may be wrong ),so is the dash camera simultaneously. Also, I don’t need to unplug the camera each time to avoid draining out the battery in the long term.

The main reason I want to choose the cigar jack in the trunk is because, lots of people are using the cigar jacket at front under the dash/radio because of convenience. However, personally I believe this physical connection at front is visible and not a nice looking. So I presume, connecting to the trunk cigar outlet may “ hide” the physical connection and also save the cigar jacket under the radio board for portable GPS or something else.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 05:19 AM   #2
rasg
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11

I have an older version of your Blackview that I have been using for at least a coupe of years. I have one front and back in an F11, 520 D.

I have the rear camera power coming from the cigarette lighter socket in the back of the car. The camera in the front takes power from the power socket in front of the back seats.

I have never used the Black Magic box. The cameras draw so little power, I never really understood what the box was for and I paid extra for it!

If you don't want the Parking Mode just switch it off in the Blackview software when you set the SD card up. Many, many settings to choose from in there.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
Broadsword
Sustinendum Victoriam
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 335i

You would only use the PowerMagic Pro if you want 24 hour recording. If you don't need 24 hour recording just use a cigar jack. Check and see if there is a cigar jack under your glove compartment. My F30 335i has a jack there and the F15 X5 does not.

For the F30, I ran the wire along the roof liner on the windshield then down the weather stripping along the A-Pillar into the jack under the glovebox. For the F15, I ran the wire down the B-Pillar under the passenger seat into the power jack behind the center console.
Appreciate 0