THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Weird music playback from USB drive - anyone know how to reset?

11-30-2015, 02:56 AM   #1
neilr_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue

Weird music playback from USB drive - anyone know how to reset?

I've just taken delivery of my 2016 228i and I'm seeing something weird when I play music from a USB flash drive: MP3 albums are playing in alphabetical order, not track order. AAC albums play in track order, as expected.

More weird: after updating the firmware, new MP3 albums play in track order, but the previously problematic albums still play in alphabetical order. I've verified the metadata for my music and every file has "track X of Y" set correctly.

I don't have the Tech, Premium, etc. package, nor the HK sound system.

I read that the car will recognize up to 4 USB drives (can't find it in the online owner's guide again). I suspect that this will correct itself if I can force the car to reindex the drive. Anyone know how?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #2
Grave
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 220D M-Sport

Hi, excuse my poor english

You don't need reindex,

if you select "genre" then "artist", then directly "tracks" they are playing in alphabetic order even if there are more than one album

if you choose album even if only one is selected, it plays in track order.

Bmw system use ID3Tags so you need to use your system as described before or rename all your tracks including the track number and it's an aberration.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #3
neilr_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave View Post
Hi, excuse my poor english

You don't need reindex,

if you select "genre" then "artist", then directly "tracks" they are playing in alphabetic order even if there are more than one album

if you choose album even if only one is selected, it plays in track order.

Bmw system use ID3Tags so you need to use your system as described before or rename all your tracks including the track number and it's an aberration.
I will verify when I get off of work, but what I remember doing is this: reset my search parameters, select Album, choose the album that I want to play, then select Play. I made a specific point of resetting the search parameters between playing each album.

The MP3 albums that I played before the software update don't play in track order. MP3 albums that I added/played after the software update do play in track order. AAC albums always play in track order.

Update:
Confirmed the behavior that I remembered: choosing a new MP3 album plays in track order; choosing an old MP3 album plays in alphabetical order.

Last edited by neilr_; 11-30-2015 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Update after checking the behavior again
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 12:51 PM   #4
lesterb64
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235

My iDrive doesn't see all the audio files on my flash drive. It initially did, but after a search for an artist, it now only sees 500 out of 613 files. Help?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
Y0tsuya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT, 2016 340i 8AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterb64 View Post
My iDrive doesn't see all the audio files on my flash drive. It initially did, but after a search for an artist, it now only sees 500 out of 613 files. Help?
Yeah I had that happen to me. Took a fair amount of head-scratching. I'm going off memory here, but you should go into the search menu, choose Track, then All Tracks. That should bring everything back.
Appreciate 0