F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > HK system - Underseat Subwoofer upgrade
Extreme Powerhouse

12-08-2015, 07:02 AM   #1
UtilisaE9
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

HK system - Underseat Subwoofer upgrade

I have the HK kit on my F36 and I am looking for an efficient way to upgrade this system.
I'm rather dissapointed by the bass (though not an audiophile)

So I am planning to upgrade only the Underseat Subwoofer.
BAV makes a pnp kit for +-500$ (pair).
  1. Is it worse to only upgrade the sub?
  2. Did someone have experience with Bavsound Ghost Subwoofer?
  3. Is there other kit that you can recommend (i saw that Focal did the same for the e90 model)?

Thank for your input
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
ScubaSteve
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive M Sport

I am eagerly awaiting to hear the reviews on these subs. From reading another thread I ordered a technic pnp harness to add a sub in the trunk and power the oem under seat Suns with an aftermarket amp which apparantly makes a huge difference. I am going to start with that as I'm not crazy of having a big clunky sub in my trunk. I would probably buy a musicar box if one comes up for sale in the classifieds section.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 06:17 AM   #3
Billy Cheeseman
Fender bender
Rep
Drives: Sky Grey 330e tour msport pro

I have hk and am hugely impressed - the bass is incredibly detailed if you tune it - I did spend a good hour though tuning the graphic equaliser and the normal bass and treble sliders to get it right - the wrong settings will make it sound like crap
      12-10-2015, 06:43 AM   #4
UtilisaE9
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettChinery View Post
I have hk and am hugely impressed - the bass is incredibly detailed if you tune it - I did spend a good hour though tuning the graphic equaliser and the normal bass and treble sliders to get it right - the wrong settings will make it sound like crap
Nice!
Can you share you settings?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
Billy Cheeseman
Fender bender
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtilisaE9
Quote:
Nice!

Thx
I can when next in car - however I would say you are better finding a setting that works for your ears and taste in music - my settings for rock might sound like crap if you listen to classical or dub step
      12-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #6
Billy Cheeseman
Fender bender
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nice!

Thx
Start with a totally flat setting and add or subtract the frequencies your ears dictate - I like a real solid bass and went for a classic smile curve with added/boosted bass and treble
      12-10-2015, 12:07 PM   #7
Tgdc
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xdrive

I attempted to set mine using a calibrated mic and a pink noise file to try to get a flat response. I was surprised how far off from the defaults I had to go to try to get the reported response curve flat. This is on a brand new car 2016 340i w HK) so I also wonder if it will change at all as the drivers break in. This is where I ended up for now. YMMV.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
kromix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 340i AW MSport

Garage List
2016 340i (F30)  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgdc View Post
I attempted to set mine using a calibrated mic and a pink noise file to try to get a flat response. I was surprised how far off from the defaults I had to go to try to get the reported response curve flat. This is on a brand new car 2016 340i w HK) so I also wonder if it will change at all as the drivers break in. This is where I ended up for now. YMMV.
Not even sure what any of this means but I'm copying it into my HK system when my 340i arrives and using it as a baseline, then changing numbers as my ears dictate Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #9
RyanMv4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 440xi

Interested to see peoples settings
      12-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #10
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
I have the HK kit on my F36 and I am looking for an efficient way to upgrade this system.
I'm rather dissapointed by the bass (though not an audiophile)

So I am planning to upgrade only the Underseat Subwoofer.
BAV makes a pnp kit for +-500$ (pair).
  1. Is it worse to only upgrade the sub?
  2. Did someone have experience with Bavsound Ghost Subwoofer?
  3. Is there other kit that you can recommend (i saw that Focal did the same for the e90 model)?

Thank for your input
Better quality speakers almost always have a lower sensitivity. It is a trade off for better performance.

I would be concerned about the under-seat drivers getting out of balance with the rest of the system. Bavsound seems to elude that this isn't an issue but physics is a bitch. I am skeptical... Especially after I have read their mid/tweeter kit has lower sensitivity (as expected) than the OEM drivers. How can the Bavsound woofers be in balance with both the OEM and Bavsound mid/tweeters?