F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > CCTV systems
proTUNING Freaks

12-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
Andy30D
Captain
British Antarctic Territory
Rep
Drives: 330D M sport fully loaded

CCTV systems

Okay, in light of recent burglaries, I definitely want to set up some CCTV at our stables.

I am not very techy, so it may be the late night and 10 hours of driving today, or it may be my stupidity...likely the latter.

We have no BT line or internet at the stables, and poor 3g/4g signal.

My question is...what system to get? we have power obviously, but thats really it, and don't want to get into installing BT lines or internet from the main house.

Ideally I want to install 3 cameras... help!

Thanks in advance you knowledgeable BMW drivers
2004 Honda CBR 600-RR.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Do you want to just have as evidence after the event or to actively monitor th stables and area around them?

There were some threads recently on wifi extenders.

Using wifi enabled cameras maybe simplest.

A couple of people have some very good systems on the forum.

Also consider having a security review carried out, ask your insurance company, they may do it as part of service.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

What's the distance between the stables and the house, and do you have line of sight ?
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy30D
Okay, in light of recent burglaries, I definitely want to set up some CCTV at our stables.

I am not very techy, so it may be the late night and 10 hours of driving today, or it may be my stupidity...likely the latter.

We have no BT line or internet at the stables, and poor 3g/4g signal.

My question is...what system to get? we have power obviously, but thats really it, and don't want to get into installing BT lines or internet from the main house.

Ideally I want to install 3 cameras... help!

Thanks in advance you knowledgeable BMW drivers
Not sure where you are in Essex but can give you details of a guy I've used a couple of times for alarms/cctv. He's based near Southend, but works all over the South East.
Let me know and I'll ping you a PM if you want.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 02:52 AM   #5
mrbmwx3
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Garage List
Quite difficult without knowing exact details. However i have a couple of IP Cameras from HIKVision and rate them highly, however you do need network point. Where's the power coming from, you might be able to use Ethernet over power lines so you plug one in the stable and one in your house and you will then have network in your stable, it does need the power lines to be coming from the house though.
Other alternative as already stated is to use wifi cameras and a wifi extended so it reaches your stable, or go for stand alone kit not networked. HIKVision have one.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #6
Andy30D
Captain
Rep

Helpful stuff thanks everyone. Going to speak to the main household (not our house, it has about 15 bedrooms!) we just rent the stables/land. They do have CCTV and believe its wireless, but as its a few acres of field between the house and he stables I'm unsure of a booster working etc.

Thank you
2004 Honda CBR 600-RR.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 08:29 AM   #7
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Some suggestions :

Wired camera(s) at the stables recording to a NAS as a purely stand-alone system. NAS could be concealed in a secure area of the stables. If you could install a WiFi router as well you could connect remotely but this would require remote access via the householder's network which they would probably not be happy about.

CCTV camera with memory card recording on continuous loop. Perhaps less robust as if the camera is smashed off the wall the card can be smashed/stolen.

A stand-alone digibox-based CCTV system, where the digibox can be secured in the stables.

Electronics in outdoor situations can be problematic (reliability, dirty lens, general pfaffing) so perhaps better physical security measures should be the place to start ?
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 08:47 AM   #8
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

About this time of year, there is bound to be some bloke and his pregnant Doris looking for a place to stay.

Do the right thing, let them stop at your stables, sorts the security and the lack of accommodation as well.

Just watch out if they have dodgy mates coming to visit.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #9
alpine330D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430D GC

A stand alone system is only really good for a deterrent. All youl see if you have another break in is recorded footage of a few cunts wearing hoodies stealing your stuff. The system needs to be online with a monitoring station so when they get an activation they contact you or the police. They may not touch a stable though if theres people coming and going frequently due to all the activations.

powerline adapters back to the owners house should work for the network connection if theyre on the same phase. You could then open ports on their router just for your dvr/nvr assuming they would allow that.

The most cost effective solution at the moment is HDCVI (HD video over coax or cat 5 with baluns). Additional lighting and cameras with good IR/dsp are required to see anything other than shadows at night.
      12-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #10
Andy30D
Captain
Rep

Thanks all,

Having a chat with the land owners over the weekend see if we can get CCTV, tbh I know it is only as much as a deterrent as a false camera, but if it does catch a number plate or face it would be more helpful than the situation we find ourselves in at the moment. You'll be surprised how stupid these cnuts are!!

Although the got through some serious locks and two big gates, I am thinking of having the parking posts installed in front of the main gate which is off the little lane we are on, Same as we have on our drive at home, reflective so they will go along the side of the road and completely block off the entrance itself.

The riding for the disabled place theyve also done over, due to their CCTV, they broke in via the fields to the rear of the farm and drove off road to get into the yard, rather than go through the obvious route!

Will let everyone know what we do/how we do it, thanks again for all your input, who knew BMW drivers are helpful and kind...bet Aldi drivers aren't!

Cheers guys
2004 Honda CBR 600-RR.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #11
Andy30D
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
About this time of year, there is bound to be some bloke and his pregnant Doris looking for a place to stay.

Do the right thing, let them stop at your stables, sorts the security and the lack of accommodation as well.

Just watch out if they have dodgy mates coming to visit.
No spare stables, premier inn down the road, you get a good night guarantee there too, I assume that means no straw beds!
2004 Honda CBR 600-RR.
Appreciate 0