BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) iDrive version in the F48

12-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #1
newf48
Registered
Rep
Drives: F48

Thumbs down iDrive version in the F48

I was recently comparing the infotainment system in my X1 (with Technology Package) with my friend's 2015 X5 (with Navigation) and we noticed a couple differences. My friend sees options for BMW Online Widgets for his split screen and an additional "Pictures at Destination" menu option in the "Start Guidance" screen (while I need to dig through ConnectedDrive to get to that option).

I reached out to BMW Genius and they mentioned the difference is due to my friend's X5 having iDrive 4.2 and the X1 having "Navigation System Professional".

Have you guys noticed the same thing? Is there anywhere I can look to see the differences in functionality between these two systems? It seems strange to me that the systems look and feel so similar but they have differences that seem so superficial and unrelated to the actual car.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 05:27 AM   #2
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

I guess it comes down to the more expensive the model, the more you get.
The X5 has more features and a higher trim quality too.
The problem is how long the manufacturer now waits before newer variations come out and eventually supersede the existing version.
The good news for us is that the F48 is a new generation platform and is in a very competitive market sector so we are getting a lot of the goodies that were options not so long ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Actually, while it's a new platform for the X1, the current F series platform is actually quite "old", in the X1's case having its genesis with the 2nd generation MINI. BMW's next generation platforms will have be the G series, the first being the just-released G10 Carbon core chassis 7 series, which has some serious smarts in its iDrive systems among other areas. It's worth having a look at the new 7 series just to see what we can expect to trickle down to lower model ranges.
Appreciate 0