F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Which Fitness gadgets are worth buying?
GetBMWParts

12-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Which Fitness gadgets are worth buying?

Wife and family can't think of anything to get me for Xmas and have suggested a Fitbit or even a new Heart rate monitor or something.. but it's ages since i've looked at any of this stuff...

Thoughts and input welcome!

Currently I use a Suunto T6 (ancient!), for which I have both Foot pods and Cycle pods with which to collect data on how far I've cycled and ran, along with heart rate etc. So it's all a bit old school as understand most things are GPS based these days?

Anyway, open to thoughts as to what else may be useful... can the Apple Health monitoring be done via other devices? I'm not really interested in a iWatch.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

You don't need fitness gadgets, just watch this

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

I don't, but it doesn't help with possible xmas presents!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I had a Fitbit it is really good, HR model. Now I know you'll hardly believe this but I sold it and moved on after about 7 months!

The steps, HR and sleep tracking are superb. Also quite good challenge features vs other users. I'd say it's the pick of that type of device circa £100. Get the HR as it has a proper strap, lesser model the Charge has a pop strap.

I work with Garmin in some projects and have an inside guy, he got me a Fenix 3 for less than 1/2 price, (RRP £400 with HR strap fir £163!) amazing bit of kit. Replaced my Fitbit Charge HR, Garmin cycle computer Edge 800 and Garmin running watch with 1 device. Fenix is great if you can stretch to it and run and cycle lots but value for money is the Fitbit HR to me, go for it 10/10 from me and did motivate a lot.

iwatch I agree a bit naff, needs charging every day and won't run iOS in about 18 months no doubt!
      12-13-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris The Manx View Post
I had a Fitbit it is really good, HR model. Now I know you'll hardly believe this but I sold it and moved on after about 7 months!

The steps, HR and sleep tracking are superb. Also quite good challenge features vs other users. I'd say it's the pick of that type of device circa £100. Get the HR as it has a proper strap, lesser model the Charge has a pop strap.

I work with Garmin in some projects and have an inside guy, he got me a Fenix 3 for less than 1/2 price, (RRP £400 with HR strap fir £163!) amazing bit of kit. Replaced my Fitbit Charge HR, Garmin cycle computer Edge 800 and Garmin running watch with 1 device. Fenix is great if you can stretch to it and run and cycle lots but value for money is the Fitbit HR to me, go for it 10/10 from me and did motivate a lot.

iwatch I agree a bit naff, needs charging every day and won't run iOS in about 18 months no doubt!
I've just been looking at the Garmin and Suunto websites and prefer the idea of buying a new watch actually. I have a Rolex which I wear most days but sometimes I think it's a bit conspicuous and would rather wear something more ordinary, especially when just fannying around the house of a weekend, but my current HRM looks utterly dorky! I'd like to have something which can tell me where I've been on a hillwalk without draining the battery on my phone, and so I was just thinking that those Fenix's look decent as well a having a lot of spec that I'd never use fully (exactly how I like to spec things of course!)... sounds like it's a good option...

It looks pretty large though... still comfy to wear as an everyday watch?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 02:13 PM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity
Quote:

I've just been looking at the Garmin and Suunto websites and prefer the idea of buying a new watch actually. I have a Rolex which I wear most days but sometimes I think it's a bit conspicuous and would rather wear something more ordinary, especially when just fannying around the house of a weekend, but my current HRM looks utterly dorky! I'd like to have something which can tell me where I've been on a hillwalk without draining the battery on my phone, and so I was just thinking that those Fenix's look decent as well a having a lot of spec that I'd never use fully (exactly how I like to spec things of course!)... sounds like it's a good option...

Absolutely, wear it day and night and in the shower (Fitbit not fully waterproof I think they back tracked on this).

Wearing at night gives you the sleep stats Sad I know but i love some good metrics

It also has developer app support too so, ahem, has an Oyster Perpetual face as well as a few others so you can sell the bling I have a very technical face on show normally that shows loads, it's a true gadget geek watch. The watch itself is pretty big as the bezel is the satellite GPS antenna, picks up Glossnass or whatever the Ruski version is so is very accurate and fast getting a signal.

My Tag and Omega haven't seen the light day for at least 12 months since I got the Fitbit. There are loads of YouTube reviews of the Fenix 3' suggest have a look through these and see if you'd get full use.

I've been running about 5 days in every 7 along with permanent step and sleep tracking on and th watch lasts about 2 weeks on battery. It is a hefty outlay at full price though, I was happy with what I paid but not certain about full RRP. It might be cheaper by now, price aside highly highly recommend.

Oh finally it uploads to Gamin Connect and then into Strava via home wifi so no cable faff needed either, this was a big plus to me as I love Strava but less so faffing for cables. By the time I get out the shower and changed its all done and ready to see how slow I've just been
      12-13-2015, 02:59 PM   #7
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris The Manx
Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely, wear it day and night and in the shower (Fitbit not fully waterproof I think they back tracked on this).

Wearing at night gives you the sleep stats Sad I know but i love some good metrics

It also has developer app support too so, ahem, has an Oyster Perpetual face as well as a few others so you can sell the bling I have a very technical face on show normally that shows loads, it's a true gadget geek watch. The watch itself is pretty big as the bezel is the satellite GPS antenna, picks up Glossnass or whatever the Ruski version is so is very accurate and fast getting a signal.

My Tag and Omega haven't seen the light day for at least 12 months since I got the Fitbit. There are loads of YouTube reviews of the Fenix 3' suggest have a look through these and see if you'd get full use.

I've been running about 5 days in every 7 along with permanent step and sleep tracking on and th watch lasts about 2 weeks on battery. It is a hefty outlay at full price though, I was happy with what I paid but not certain about full RRP. It might be cheaper by now, price aside highly highly recommend.

Oh finally it uploads to Gamin Connect and then into Strava via home wifi so no cable faff needed either, this was a big plus to me as I love Strava but less so faffing for cables. By the time I get out the shower and changed its all done and ready to see how slow I've just been
Cheers that's very useful. I see there is a mineral glass version- do you have that or the standard one? What's it like if so?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris The Manx
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers that's very useful. I see there is a mineral glass version- do you have that or the standard one? What's it like if so?
Didn't bother with the quartz one as I think you have to size the band via the links and I prefer an adjustable strap, seem to expand in the heat! Went fir the red strap one to stand out a bit.

Here it is with my VO2 Max reading, up 51 now so a little outdated oh yeah go me
Attached Images

12-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #9
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Cheers Chris, I think I'm going to have a look at one in the shops, see how it feels on the wrist. Hopefully it's not too big... once tried on a Panerai and it looked daft on me!

How do you recharge the battery? Is it just the little clasp thing and connected to the power socket? That's how my Garmin golf watch works...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #10
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

MS Band 2, better than the clunky first attempt:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.326158600

Come on I need my Christmas bonus!

And if anyone wants a new year training programme I can recommend StrongLifts 5 x 5:

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

You don't have to be a monster (I'm certainly not) but it keeps you interested and you have goals to achieve which is important as gym work can be boring.
      12-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Cheers Chris, I think I'm going to have a look at one in the shops, see how it feels on the wrist. Hopefully it's not too big... once tried on a Panerai and it looked daft on me!

How do you recharge the battery? Is it just the little clasp thing and connected to the power socket? That's how my Garmin golf watch works...
I had an S1 too a while back, it's similar to that but a different mechanism. It's about 20% larger than an S1/2 type watch if you know them. Good luck, happy shopping.
      12-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #12
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
TBH Terry, most of the fitness gadgets are a waste if space. Get Mrs Terry to buy you a gym membership when you move into your new house. Go at least three times a week an hour a time and see the difference. I'd also recommend pilates as a compliment to working out.
Nah I like my gadgets Nick, they're only a waste if you don't do any exercise! I do have a gym membership and I do actually go to Pilates already!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 01:27 AM   #13
Lewis Mc
Manners cost nothing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1993 Toyota Supra Turbo

I've got the fitbit HR, which is great little thing, picked it up for £64 on an amazon lightning deal so even better for the money, Always been with in 2 meters of my distances when i do the treadmill, bit iffy with cycling but I just go off calories burnt and edit the distance manually. Its surprisingly comfy and secure at times i forget i have it. Most importantly it does what it says on the tin and thats what you want!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 04:03 AM   #14
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia

Looks like we have some fitness guys on here so maybe I could get some advice. I have always been quite slim but over the past 3 years I reckon 20lbs have sneaked on and the wife keeps mentioning it.

We are looking at going away in mid January as usual for our beach holiday, probably Phuket or Bali and would like to get as much off as possible by then.

We have Gym membership but it is rarely used by me nowadays.

Any diet/exercise pointers would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 04:04 AM   #15
Lewis Mc
Manners cost nothing
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Do you have a certain number of calories you need to burn in a week?
It asks you when you set it up what your aim is to do... be it gain weight or lose weight, it then takes all your data such as weight , age height and gives you varying degrees of how you want to to do it for example.

easiest - 0.2kg a week loss
medium - 0.5kg a week loss
kinda hard - 0.7kg a week loss
Hardest - 1kg a week loss

It then works out from all your info what calories you should be eating each day and your target to burn/eat. Which then accumulates for a week/month/year info view. Of course this is all editable, so currently it gave me a daily allowance of 1,895 calories to eat and to burn 3191 a day to keep on track of my target but i could edit them to what i want if i felt like its not hard enough or working for me.
F32 435i- EBII Sold
E92 335i- Sparkling Graphite Sold

Last edited by Lewis Mc; 12-14-2015 at 04:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 04:14 AM   #16
Lewis Mc
Manners cost nothing
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Do it tell you when you can shag the missus for bonus calorie burn?
doesn't tell you when but it tells you your heart rate , nothing better than being behind her shouting "My heart rate is 136 !!"
F32 435i- EBII Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 04:18 AM   #17
Lewis Mc
Manners cost nothing
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1966 View Post
Looks like we have some fitness guys on here so maybe I could get some advice. I have always been quite slim but over the past 3 years I reckon 20lbs have sneaked on and the wife keeps mentioning it.

We are looking at going away in mid January as usual for our beach holiday, probably Phuket or Bali and would like to get as much off as possible by then.

Id just get a healthy diet with more exercise...simple as that!

I use to be 18 Stone and after my step-dad passed away at 35 i thought i best get my ass in gear. Being as fussy eater the diet was the hardest part for me as i don't like many foods. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing as i love chicken and turkey...perfect for a diet. I basically lived off peas, greenbeans, carrots and turkey or chicken. I was going through 5 breasts a day with my greens and protein shakes. So a easy to follow and simple diet works wonders if you don't mind the same repetitive things, but if your a man of many tastes you can find other meals to suit you, as long as you hit a 50%protein 30% carb 20% fat macro a day that should be sufficient diet wise.#

Exercise wise id hands down praise the "Insanity workout" that combined with swimming,cycling and jogging, will drop the weight off you in weeks. I lost 4 stone in 3 and a half months doing insanity everyday then cycling to work and swimming on my days off. If you don't have time for all that then insanity on its own is 45 mins - 1 hour and will definitely shed the pound while toning and building muscle, Or any High intensity interval training will work wonders while being short and effective
F32 435i- EBII Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 04:39 AM   #18
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Mc View Post
Id just get a healthy diet with more exercise...simple as that!

I use to be 18 Stone and after my step-dad passed away at 35 i thought i best get my ass in gear. Being as fussy eater the diet was the hardest part for me as i don't like many foods. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing as i love chicken and turkey...perfect for a diet. I basically lived off peas, greenbeans, carrots and turkey or chicken. I was going through 5 breasts a day with my greens and protein shakes. So a easy to follow and simple diet works wonders if you don't mind the same repetitive things, but if your a man of many tastes you can find other meals to suit you, as long as you hit a 50%protein 30% carb 20% fat macro a day that should be sufficient diet wise.#

Exercise wise id hands down praise the "Insanity workout" that combined with swimming,cycling and jogging, will drop the weight off you in weeks. I lost 4 stone in 3 and a half months doing insanity everyday then cycling to work and swimming on my days off. If you don't have time for all that then insanity on its own is 45 mins - 1 hour and will definitely shed the pound while toning and building muscle, Or any High intensity interval training will work wonders while being short and effective
Thank you very much for that. I am practically retired now so I have all the time in the world.

The diet plan was porridge made with water and no sugar for breakfast, tinned mackerel and salad for lunch and as you say a hunk of steamed fish or chicken with loads of vegetables for dinner.

Going to start off walking/running to the gym and back every afternoon for some light weights the total round journey is 7 miles. I will have a chat with them in the Gym about some organised sessions too, not sure what 'Insanity' is unless you are talking about my 26 year old marriage

Thank you again.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 05:06 AM   #19
Lewis Mc
Manners cost nothing
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you very much for that. I am practically retired now so I have all the time in the world.

The diet plan was porridge made with water and no sugar for breakfast, tinned mackerel and salad for lunch and as you say a hunk of steamed fish or chicken with loads of vegetables for dinner.

Going to start off walking/running to the gym and back every afternoon for some light weights the total round journey is 7 miles. I will have a chat with them in the Gym about some organised sessions too, not sure what 'Insanity' is unless you are talking about my 26 year old marriage

Thank you again.

Sounds like the basis of a good routine going so far Well 26 years could be class as insanity ....but i mean this ...

Excuse the cheesiness of it ! but it does work and i have my T shirt haha! i actually thew up on my first session as it was that hard on me , but after a week you pick it up quick and get going. Although i did it at my pace and not the super fit people on the dvd !

Just make sure after a week or two to retake your weight and anything else that your tracking. If after 2 weeks nothing has changed then just up the intensity a little bit as the diet seems spot on anyway ! As eating too less is counter productive as it'll store the little food thinking its in "starvation mode"

Also... Lay off alcohol !
F32 435i- EBII Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 02:54 AM   #20
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Maybe just get a plan in place Mark, something you tick off each day up to the event in January. Mix it up between runs/Cardio and usual gyms weights etc.

Best sessions I have reallt got into recently have been cross fit stuff. Its very very good and most gyms/sessions will work you very hard in these.

As another member has posted its almost pointless if your eating isn't under control, keep the goodies in check, nigh on impossible over xmas but otherwise it can be like 1 step forward and 2 steps back.
      12-16-2015, 03:50 AM   #21
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I'm not really interested in a iWatch.
HR monitor was a key feature we wanted to have - the "iWatch" was a winner for us but I see you dont want to hear further
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #22
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris10Bimmers View Post
Maybe just get a plan in place Mark, something you tick off each day up to the event in January. Mix it up between runs/Cardio and usual gyms weights etc.

Best sessions I have reallt got into recently have been cross fit stuff. Its very very good and most gyms/sessions will work you very hard in these.

As another member has posted its almost pointless if your eating isn't under control, keep the goodies in check, nigh on impossible over xmas but otherwise it can be like 1 step forward and 2 steps back.
Thanks for the post Chris.

I am not a great one for food and don't usually eat a great deal differently at Xmas than I do over the rest of the year. My problem I think is mainly a slowing down of my metabolism due to 'old' age

Anyway had porridge for breakfast, walked and ran total of 9 miles and did some light weights in the Gym. Had 2 boiled eggs for lunch and have chicken and cabbage for dinner
Appreciate 0