E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Did anyone successfully modify the E92 door panel ambient light ?

12-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i m6t nav sport

Did anyone successfully modify the E92 door panel ambient light ?

Did anyone successfully modify the E92 door panel ambient light ?

I'm thinking of installing an RGB strip in there instead of the boring orange, did anyone change it ? I need some pictures to see what I would be working with.

2007 335i E92 Sport, CIC, 6MT, DOCRACE6266 Spacegray/Black
2009 335i xDrive Black/Black Nav AT Individual
Gf: 2011 335i Xdrive Mpack,Nav AT Alpine/SaddleBrown
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 05:34 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I replaced the LED's in the Ambient modules with blue to match the rest of my interior, but I don't think that's what you are looking to do if you want to install aftermarket RGB strips?

Basically they have a small module that houses the LED's then there is a 1/8" dia. fiber optic cable that transmits the light along the length. The cable snaps in to many tiny clips in a channel of the door panel strip
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #3
shannonscx10
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I replaced the LED's in the Ambient modules with blue to match the rest of my interior, but I don't think that's what you are looking to do if you want to install aftermarket RGB strips?

Basically they have a small module that houses the LED's then there is a 1/8" dia. fiber optic cable that transmits the light along the length. The cable snaps in to many tiny clips in a channel of the door panel strip
Can you link pics? Curious to see how your ambient light mod turned out
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i m6t nav sport

Quote:

Is it necessary to remove the door panels to access this ? I will obviously have to do it for my wiring but was wondering if I could take a quick look ( if it's clipped on )

2007 335i E92 Sport, CIC, 6MT, DOCRACE6266 Spacegray/Black
2009 335i xDrive Black/Black Nav AT Individual
Gf: 2011 335i Xdrive Mpack,Nav AT Alpine/SaddleBrown
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 03:59 PM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by datbimmer View Post
Is it necessary to remove the door panels to access this ? I will obviously have to do it for my wiring but was wondering if I could take a quick look ( if it's clipped on )
You will have to remove the door panel to be able to see any of it unforunately
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2020, 10:54 PM   #6
GiancarloB
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-Sport Le Mans Blue

Quote:

Can you tell me what size LED you had to use to change yours to blue? I recently wrapped my interior trim in Avery rushing riptide (blue/purple colorshift) and I want to change my ambient lighting to purple if possible
Appreciate 0