E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Can't turn on car's bluetooth

06-10-2005, 12:12 AM   #1
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Can't turn on car's bluetooth

Okay, so I'm trying to set up a bluetooth link between my Treo 650 (after downloading the latest CarKit update from Palm) and I can't figure out why my phone doesn't find the car. At first glance from the "Phone" menu in the car, I thought I had BT on. After carefully reviewing the Phone Manual (it isn't overly clear), I determined that in fact what I was seeing was the designation of the button to turn BT on. Problem? Nothing happens when I push this button.

What I see when I hit the phone button is a screen in which the upper menu says something like "Turn Bluetooth on to make a call." In the lower screen area directly above a middle button is displayed "BT-ON". The right side of the lower screen only displays the "return" key.

Obviously, the display "BT-ON" immediately above a button denotes that this is what you are to depress to turn it on. To support this, it appears in the manual that when BT is on, it should be displayed in the lower screen to the right side, directly adjacent to the "return" key.

I've pushed, prodded and poked this button for 30 minutes, and nothing happens. I've tried it with the car off, car on, radio off, and any number of combinations. And yes, I have the Premium package and yes, this button works under other menus.

Obviously, something is not working and this likely warrants a trip to the dealer. Any advice from anyone? Anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2005, 11:35 AM   #2
schneur
Rep
Drives: 325i 2006

have you turned the phone's bluetooth on?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2005, 11:53 AM   #3
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

AudiA4,

I had a hard time setting up my Treo 650 with the car and I did not find any directions about how to do it (none of the car printed information talked about that). I think you have to put the car in discoverable mode (not called that) from the setup menu for the first time. I'll try to find the right menu for you in about an hour when I'm in my car again and I'll give you some instructions.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #4
schneur
Rep
Drives: 325i 2006

When i was at the dealership i tried with my treo 650 and no matter what button i pushed it would not find it, It did eventually find it for a few seconds somehow but then when i tried to pair it, it lost it.. i was attempting this in a Non Nav car with premium package, (which has bluetooth) anyone know the instructions for non nav, treo 650 - bluetooth setup...?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2005, 12:15 PM   #5
silverado
Captain
Rep

OK, here are the instructions to put the car in Connectable mode:

1) From the main menu (with the four main options showing), push down on the center button (the i option).
2) Choose Communications Settings
3) Move the selector to the top choice list in this window then choose "Bluetooth"
4) In the second choice list from the top choose "Phone"

Now in the main part of the window you should see: "Bluetooth connectable in this menu"

You are now ready to to start searching for the car from the phone. When you find the car and enter a passoword, just choose any password and make sure you enter the same one on the car and the phone.

Good luck!

BTW, as you can see, the difficulty has nothing to do with the Treo; it's just an obscure menu on the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2005, 01:15 PM   #6
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneur
When i was at the dealership i tried with my treo 650 and no matter what button i pushed it would not find it, It did eventually find it for a few seconds somehow but then when i tried to pair it, it lost it.. i was attempting this in a Non Nav car with premium package, (which has bluetooth) anyone know the instructions for non nav, treo 650 - bluetooth setup...?
I also need this info for the non navi
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2005, 01:37 PM   #7
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado
OK, here are the instructions to put the car in Connectable mode:

1) From the main menu (with the four main options showing), push down on the center button (the i option).
2) Choose Communications Settings
3) Move the selector to the top choice list in this window then choose "Bluetooth"
4) In the second choice list from the top choose "Phone"

Now in the main part of the window you should see: "Bluetooth connectable in this menu"

You are now ready to to start searching for the car from the phone. When you find the car and enter a passoword, just choose any password and make sure you enter the same one on the car and the phone.

Good luck!

BTW, as you can see, the difficulty has nothing to do with the Treo; it's just an obscure menu on the car.
Wow...thanks for all of the feedback, but let me be clear: I do not have iDrive, but have the Premium package with Bluetooth. When following the instructions from the Phone Manual in the car, there appears to be one button to push to turn BT on, and when I attempt to do this, nothing happens. It's as if the button itself doesn't work (though it does on other screens/situations).

So...unless there's another menu or something I should be turning on first for "discoverable" mode - and I didn't find anything in the manual on this - then something about this mode in my car is not working properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2005, 01:43 PM   #8
silverado
Captain
Rep

Oops... didn't realize you didn't have iDrive

On iDrive, there is a phone menu that behaved sort of like what you described and I spent a lot of time there thinking that's where I should do it. This is the place to be AFTER you have paired your phone with the car. BT might be on, but it is not discoverable; it is on to communicate with already paired devices.

I would look for some setup menu that has to do with bluetooth, not the phone menu.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2005, 07:10 PM   #9
Matsola
Rep
Drives: e90

So can the Treo work perfectly well with the BMW?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2005, 07:12 PM   #10
Matsola
Rep

....so is the Treo 650 completely compatible with the the BMW 330i?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2005, 08:26 PM   #11
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Is the Treo on the BMW aaproved list? I do not believe that it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2005, 09:45 PM   #12
jiggax23
Private First Class
Rep

if u press the button and nothing happens, im thinking bmw didnt activate ur bluetooth setting. thats what happened to me, took it to them, they activated it, and worked perfectly fine
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2005, 05:29 AM   #13
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just found out BMW knows about this problem with non-idrive cars, its a small software glitch

Tell your dealer to look at "Service Measure B84 213 05 "

It says dealer must "Encode the complete car with CIP16.1 or later"
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2005, 09:04 PM   #14
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Just found out BMW knows about this problem with non-idrive cars, its a small software glitch

Tell your dealer to look at "Service Measure B84 213 05 "

It says dealer must "Encode the complete car with CIP16.1 or later"
Wow...thanks so much for the help on this! I guess I can have this serviced alongside my non-functioning A/C (see other post). Sorry for the delay in my response, I've been out for a week on vacation.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2005, 04:53 AM   #15
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4
Wow...thanks so much for the help on this! I guess I can have this serviced alongside my non-functioning A/C (see other post). Sorry for the delay in my response, I've been out for a week on vacation.
Keep us updated on both issues
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2005, 09:54 AM   #16
volsfan0911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI

Has anyone here successfully paired the Treo 650 w/ the BMW? Palm says that the BMW kit is not approved and you will have intermittent connections periods, etc. BMW doesn't list it as an approved phone. Currently have a T600 but am considering moving up to both the Bimmer and a 650. If I can't use the 650 w/ a 330i non-IDrive, then that's going to be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2005, 12:39 PM   #17
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan0911
Has anyone here successfully paired the Treo 650 w/ the BMW? Palm says that the BMW kit is not approved and you will have intermittent connections periods, etc. BMW doesn't list it as an approved phone. Currently have a T600 but am considering moving up to both the Bimmer and a 650. If I can't use the 650 w/ a 330i non-IDrive, then that's going to be a problem.
Apparently, Palm just released a firmware update for Sprint's Treo 650 which adds full support for BMW bluetooth (there is a recent post on this). I use Cingular, so hopefully they'll follow shortly thereafter.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2005, 02:25 PM   #18
volsfan0911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4
Apparently, Palm just released a firmware update for Sprint's Treo 650 which adds full support for BMW bluetooth (there is a recent post on this). I use Cingular, so hopefully they'll follow shortly thereafter.
Excellent - I'm on Verizon currently (for some reason, Sprint sucks here in N. Jersey - works great everywhere else ) so if they've got the fix in for Sprint - I can either go back to them (moving soon I hope) or wait for Verizon to follow suit and patch up their Treos. Both Sprint & Verizon need to be taken out behind the woodshed anyway for their pathetic lack of BT offerings and support. Puhlease - CDMA generally blows away GSM in reception and service here in the States (in my experience at least) but lag so far behind the GSM guys in features and hardware.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2005, 03:43 PM   #19
Tor330
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006_330i

Cingular 650 and E90 - 330i without Idrive

did you ever get the cingular 650 to work. I can pair but not use the address book.... :mad:
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2005, 11:22 AM   #20
Jon_Hanson
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I took a test drive in a 330 with the Premium Package (Bluetooth included) and initially had some problems getting my unlocked Treo 650 to see the car but eventually they did and paired just fine. My sales advisor even showed me how to use the voice activation to dial phone numbers. The only numbers that will transfer to the car are the speed dial ones; your address book will not transfer.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #21
SHRTLL
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

This Fixed mine

Can't turn on car's bluetooth
Okay, so I'm trying to set up a bluetooth link between my Treo 650 (after downloading the latest CarKit update from Palm) and I can't figure out why my phone doesn't find the car. At first glance from the "Phone" menu in the car, I thought I had BT on. After carefully reviewing the Phone Manual (it isn't overly clear), I determined that in fact what I was seeing was the designation of the button to turn BT on. Problem? Nothing happens when I push this button.

What I see when I hit the phone button is a screen in which the upper menu says something like "Turn Bluetooth on to make a call." In the lower screen area directly above a middle button is displayed "BT-ON". The right side of the lower screen only displays the "return" key.

Obviously, the display "BT-ON" immediately above a button denotes that this is what you are to depress to turn it on. To support this, it appears in the manual that when BT is on, it should be displayed in the lower screen to the right side, directly adjacent to the "return" key.

I've pushed, prodded and poked this button for 30 minutes, and nothing happens. I've tried it with the car off, car on, radio off, and any number of combinations. And yes, I have the Premium package and yes, this button works under other menus.

Obviously, something is not working and this likely warrants a trip to the dealer. Any advice from anyone? Anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Had the same problem, in my BMW 650i and after searching many solutions, and complicated searching around for replacement parts as suggested by you tubers, I thought my last resort was to surrender my self to the dealership, which I am sure would be delighted to relieve me of some hard earned money.
there were suggestions of replacing the Bluetooth system or ulf module, which would be available on eBay used for @ $200.

Here is my fix and it worked, disconnect the negative from the battery, in my case contained in the trunk (boot) and leave for about half an hour, reconnect and delighted as I was, once reconnected I heard chimes that door was open, I put key in ignition and Screen started to boot, music played as normal and phone contacts started to update. All that should happen at this point did.
Happy to say all is fixed and at no cost besides a little patience.
Hope this works and saves all a bit of money.
Appreciate 0