E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Finally FBO / Looking for Recommendations for a tune ? (Now Trebila Tuned)

12-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #1
Armadyllo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

Finally FBO / Looking for Recommendations for a tune ? (Now Trebila Tuned)

Just got the car back from mechanics with everything now installed, car is going nicely running JB4 map 2, I’m liking the sound and the new found power.

Now it’s time to maximise those goodies and get a custom tune.

I know I’ll get max power if I go down the Ethanol path, but it’s my daily driver and really can’t be bothered blending fuels on a weekly basis.

So I need a tune to suit 98 petrol only, I’ve been reading a little on here about the MHD tune and have also heard a few of you mention Trebila who utilizes the JB4 (I think), but I am not set up
to flash my car and to be honest I find that side of things a little daunting. In saying that I will do what’s required for the desired outcome.

It would be handy if I could take the car to someone local to look after but I may not get the best results this way.

I guess the question is, am I better of getting a local dyno tune or going with Trebila or MHD ?

List of Mods to date
JB4
VRSF FMIC
VRSF CP
VRSF Catless DP's
New Hybrid turbos / Hi Flowed
Turbo smart DV’s
Air Intake
RB PCV
Koni FSD’s
M3 Rear subframe bushes

Thanks

Dyll

Last edited by Armadyllo; 03-01-2016 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
timot
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F31 340i M Sport

No catless DPs? I think you need those for FBO status haha.

But seriously, just pump in about 20L of E85 and switch JB4 to Map 7 and you will go flying. Map 5 is cool but Map 7 is nek level.
At least until you find a proper custom tune
Sold - 2003 BMW E39 530i M SPORT - CLASSIC Q
Sold - 2004 AUDI B6 S4 AVANT - THE UNICORN
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 04:48 PM   #3
Armadyllo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timot View Post

But seriously, just pump in about 20L of E85 and switch JB4 to Map 7 and you will go flying. Map 5 is cool but Map 7 is nek level.
Hey mate forgot those of the list, VRSF catless DP's.

Really ? is that safe without any other changes ?

Sounds fun.

I think there is a free JB4 flash but I could be guessin here
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 05:45 PM   #4
tawfeeqh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e90 335i

Some sort of custom tuning would benefit you the most. These days most people are moving towards either flash only (COBB, MHD) then getting a remote custom tune done by Wedge Performance or ProTuning Freaks. Guys are also running stacked JB4 + Backend flash (BMS or MHD) setups as well with good results.

In terms of local dyno tune you will need to find a tuner that either uses COBB ATR or ATP software to tune vehicle (you will need a COBB AP) OR TunerPro which is what is used with MHD type flashes. Other software can also be used however you won't have the ability to switch maps, log/ monitor etc features that COBB and MHD have

Pros/ Cons exist for both remote and local dyno tune so it just depends on the individual. Remote tune you'll have to provide 3rd/ 4th gear logs of your car. It may take 5 to 6 iterations to get car dialed in. Advantage of remote tune is that the US tuners are quite experienced with this platform so can get really good results. Local tuners may not be as experienced with our platform, however you could still get a good results with a good tuner the "traditional" way using a dyno. Means you don't need to provide logs etc. Finally remote tune prob cheaper than local

Where are you located by the way?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
bmwheath
11 second stock turbo club. 11.6@120mph
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timot View Post

If your going to run map7 you will need alot more that 20ltrs per tank, from memory an E50 mix is about 35-36 liters of E85 per tank...
Once you go E85 you will never go back, unless your full blow gay as
JB4 ISO - 3" Catless Downpipes - RB Inlets to be fitted - BMS DCI - VRSF 7" intercooler - Charge pipe & Raceport BOV - BMW PE exhaust - Stage 2 fuel pump - BMS E85 Flash/ E50 mix, running map7 - NGK Plugs - BMS Catchcan - RB pcv valve - Quaife LSD - 19'' Beyern wheels - Msport suspension - M3 rep sideskirts - Aero front lip - Lux V5's - Mid kick rear spoiler - Dark tint - Msport steering wheel with M3 paddles & trim
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #6
bmwheath
Rep

If your just staying pump fuel on stock turbo's then just stick with map2 or map5, otherwise you really need some more octane
JB4 ISO - 3" Catless Downpipes - RB Inlets to be fitted - BMS DCI - VRSF 7" intercooler - Charge pipe & Raceport BOV - BMW PE exhaust - Stage 2 fuel pump - BMS E85 Flash/ E50 mix, running map7 - NGK Plugs - BMS Catchcan - RB pcv valve - Quaife LSD - 19'' Beyern wheels - Msport suspension - M3 rep sideskirts - Aero front lip - Lux V5's - Mid kick rear spoiler - Dark tint - Msport steering wheel with M3 paddles & trim
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #7
tawfeeqh
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwheath
If your just staying pump fuel on stock turbo's then just stick with map2 or map5, otherwise you really need some more octane
His got some sort of hybrid/ high flow turbos
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 06:01 PM   #8
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
You're missing inlets for a complete FBOs... buy mine and get a custom tune by Trebila
      12-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #9
Armadyllo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfeeqh View Post
Some sort of custom tuning would benefit you the most. These days most people are moving towards either flash only (COBB, MHD) then getting a remote custom tune done by Wedge Performance or ProTuning Freaks. Guys are also running stacked JB4 + Backend flash (BMS or MHD) setups as well with good results.

In terms of local dyno tune you will need to find a tuner that either uses COBB ATR or ATP software to tune vehicle (you will need a COBB AP) OR TunerPro which is what is used with MHD type flashes. Other software can also be used however you won't have the ability to switch maps, log/ monitor etc features that COBB and MHD have

Pros/ Cons exist for both remote and local dyno tune so it just depends on the individual. Remote tune you'll have to provide 3rd/ 4th gear logs of your car. It may take 5 to 6 iterations to get car dialed in. Advantage of remote tune is that the US tuners are quite experienced with this platform so can get really good results. Local tuners may not be as experienced with our platform, however you could still get a good results with a good tuner the "traditional" way using a dyno. Means you don't need to provide logs etc. Finally remote tune prob cheaper than local

Where are you located by the way?
Thanks Mate

I'm in Donvale (Near Doncaster / Ringwood)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #10
Armadyllo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwheath View Post
Is map 5 safe to use ? I've heard some people mention on the forums it can have problems
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #11
Armadyllo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTN View Post
You're missing inlets for a complete FBOs... buy mine and get a custom tune by Trebila
What sort of $$$ are you thinking and would they make much difference for the amount of work to install them ?

Trebila sounds good, does he utilize the JB4 ?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #12
Armadyllo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Turbos have the lighter billet comp. wheel and clipped, apparently 20% more flow. I think thats similar to a stage 1 RB or Vargas (could be wrong though)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 08:34 PM   #13
tawfeeqh
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadyllo
Quote:
Turbos have the lighter billet comp. wheel and clipped, apparently 20% more flow. I think thats similar to a stage 1 RB or Vargas (could be wrong though)
Nice - did you get done locally? ATP?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #14
Armadyllo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Nice - did you get done locally? ATP?
Spot On tawfeeqh, Kyp does some nice work
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #15
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Definitely want to get inlets to make the most of those higher flowing upgraded turbos.

If you haven't already I would probably recommend getting new plugs and walnut blast before custom tuning.

Will be interesting what you get on the dyno!
      12-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #16
Armadyllo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Definitely want to get inlets to make the most of those higher flowing upgraded turbos.

If you haven't already I would probably recommend getting new plugs and walnut blast before custom tuning.

Will be interesting what you get on the dyno!
Hey VTL

Thanks for the input, just had plugs and coils replaced, car has only done around 65k, do you think I should still get the walnut blasting done ?

I wanted to make it to the dyno day earlier in the year to get some post turbo fit figures before installing the rest of the kit but couldnt make it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 09:58 PM   #17
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadyllo View Post
Hey VTL

Thanks for the input, just had plugs and coils replaced, car has only done around 65k, do you think I should still get the walnut blasting done ?

I wanted to make it to the dyno day earlier in the year to get some post turbo fit figures before installing the rest of the kit but couldnt make it.
Yeah would I would think it would be a good idea to blast it, especially if you are custom tuning it. You would want to dial the tune in on an engine with clean valves, not caked up ones.

Based on what I've seen, I'd recommend walnut blasting around the 50-60k mark. Depends on the car and type of driving but have seen cars with 60k on them with globs of buildup on the valves.
      12-17-2015, 02:49 AM   #18
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Just got the car back from mechanics with everything now installed, car is going nicely running JB4 map 2, I’m liking the sound and the new found power.

Now it’s time to maximise those goodies and get a custom tune.

I know I’ll get max power if I go down the Ethanol path, but it’s my daily driver and really can’t be bothered blending fuels on a weekly basis.

So I need a tune to suit 98 petrol only, I’ve been reading a little on here about the MHD tune and have also heard a few of you mention Trebila who utilizes the JB4 (I think), but I am not set up
to flash my car and to be honest I find that side of things a little daunting. In saying that I will do what’s required for the desired outcome.

It would be handy if I could take the car to someone local to look after but I may not get the best results this way.

I guess the question is, am I better of getting a local dyno tune or going with Trebila or MHD ?

List of Mods to date
JB4
VRSF FMIC
VRSF CP
VRSF Catless DP's
New Hybrid turbos / Hi Flowed
Turbo smart DV’s
Air Intake
RB PCV
Koni FSD’s
M3 Rear subframe bushes

Thanks

Dyll
MHD enuf said
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 03:11 AM   #19
bmwheath
Rep

Quote:
Is map 5 safe to use ? I've heard some people mention on the forums it can have problems
Map5 adapts to your cars mod's, octane, IAT etc etc... Map 5 is perfectly safe, your car may just feel a bit quicker/slower depending on the conditions!
I ran a 12.4 quarter mile on map5 with E50 mix
Put it on map7 & some slicks and ran a 11.6 with E50 mix
Try Tribela if you want to go a custom tune
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 03:12 AM   #20
bmwheath
Rep

Also, if you havn't got Scrooops fitted then your not FBO yet lol
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 04:54 AM   #21
Mayuri Krab
The Cheap Arse Asian
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & R33 Skyline GTS-T

You can get the MHD backed flash in conjunction with JB4 which will bump the boost level up in each of the different maps.

I recently got this, while outright power hasn't increased much, it made the car much more smoother to drive at low/moderate throttle compared to running on JB4 along, which were always a bit jerky at low/moderate acceleration.

Also make sure to do the euro MHD backend flash mod yourself to get rid of the annoy check engine light caused by flashing a straight us based bin file.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 05:41 AM   #22
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwheath View Post
Also, if you havn't got Scrooops fitted then your not FBO yet lol
OMG scoooops dats sooooo funny