E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Angel Eyes Not Functioning At All After Coding in NFRM

12-16-2015, 11:09 PM   #1
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

Unhappy Angel Eyes Not Functioning At All After Coding in NFRM

***Cross-Posted from M3Post***

Hey Everyone,

A couple of days ago I was coding in my NFRM to enable euro headlights (AHL2_enable to aktiv) and after I coded it in I lost all angel eye function. The angel eyes don't come on with welcome lights, DRL, or headlights (auto or manual). I've tried reversing the coding, rewriting the whole NFRM module to OE specs based on vehicle order, and even trying to reset the FRM via EDIABAS (not sure if I did tat correctly though). Basically, I'm at a loss as to what to try next to regain function of my angel eyes.

A little background that may help:
-The car is a 2008 E90 M3.
-My angel eyes are OE bulbs and always have been.
-I have no bulb out warnings at all.
-I have coded many other things in the past and haven't had issues so I don't think it's a coding issue but it definitely could be.
-I can't find any error information in INPA.
-I've checked all fuses in the off chance something blew but all fuses are OK.

If anyone has any insight or ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
      12-16-2015, 11:27 PM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws
***Cross-Posted from M3Post***

Hey Everyone,

A couple of days ago I was coding in my NFRM to enable euro headlights (AHL2_enable to aktiv) and after I coded it in I lost all angel eye function. The angel eyes don't come on with welcome lights, DRL, or headlights (auto or manual). I've tried reversing the coding, rewriting the whole NFRM module to OE specs based on vehicle order, and even trying to reset the FRM via EDIABAS (not sure if I did tat correctly though). Basically, I'm at a loss as to what to try next to regain function of my angel eyes.

A little background that may help:
-The car is a 2008 E90 M3.
-My angel eyes are OE bulbs and always have been.
-I have no bulb out warnings at all.
-I have coded many other things in the past and haven't had issues so I don't think it's a coding issue but it definitely could be.
-I can't find any error information in INPA.
-I've checked all fuses in the off chance something blew but all fuses are OK.

If anyone has any insight or ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
When you say you've tried 'rewriting whole NFRM' do you mean coding it back to default with expert mode? I no, try this first.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 12:12 AM   #3
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I tried that using this procedure and it didn't work for me.

Quote:
1. Load NCSExpert.
2. Load Profile and select Expertmode
3. F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA)
4. F3 (ZCS/FA f .ECU)
5. Choose E89 (for the E9X)
6. Select CAS
7. F6 (BACK)
8. F4 (Process ECU)
9. Select the Module I want to Revert back to Stock.
10. F2->Choose "SG_Codieren->ok
11. F3->to start coding the ecu with factory settings according to the vehicle VO.
      12-17-2015, 03:41 AM   #4
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, I tried that using this procedure and it didn't work for me.

Quote:
1. Load NCSExpert.
2. Load Profile and select Expertmode
3. F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA)
4. F3 (ZCS/FA f .ECU)
5. Choose E89 (for the E9X)
6. Select CAS
7. F6 (BACK)
8. F4 (Process ECU)
9. Select the Module I want to Revert back to Stock.
10. F2->Choose "SG_Codieren->ok
11. F3->to start coding the ecu with factory settings according to the vehicle VO.
Were any of your other previously coded items reset after you default coded the FRM, so that you know for sure that process worked?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #5
dannyjones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport

Tried disconnecting the battery for a while? I think I read somewhere that the NFRM module never completely restarts, so maybe it could help?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy View Post
Were any of your other previously coded items reset after you default coded the FRM, so that you know for sure that process worked?
Unfortunately it did work. I lost some of the other coding options I had in there.

Also, I haven't heard that bit about disconnecting the battery. Interesting. I'll definitely try that when I get home. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
dannyjones
Lieutenant
Rep

Curious if disconnecting the battery worked for you or not?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 06:10 PM   #8
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjones View Post
Curious if disconnecting the battery worked for you or not?
It has not unfortunately. If the FRM had a short signal would it cause bulb out error? I'm wondering if that's the issue and it needs to be reset via EDIABAS Tool32. I tried that but I'm not sure I did it correctly and some of the guides I've seen didn't really make sense.
      12-22-2015, 05:34 AM   #9
Evo400
Rep
Drives: 335D

You could try toolset32 and read ecu for kurschlusz errors and see if anything comes up and try reseting it.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #10
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm not very familiar with it but I'll search around and try that again. If that was the issue (errors in the frm) wouldn't it give any error lights/bulb out errors?
      12-27-2015, 02:51 AM   #11
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

***FIXED!***

I coded back to stock doing SG_CODIEREN (spelling?) using a blank .MAN file rather than doing FA_WRITE. I don't know why that worked but it did. I also updated DATEN files to the latest instead of V50.x (I forgot the exact version). That may have something to do with it but I can't imagine why. I have both a PRE and a POST TRC file saved so I'll examine them and try to find the difference for future reference.

Thanks for the whelp everyone!
      12-27-2015, 07:28 AM   #12
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
***FIXED!***

I coded back to stock doing SG_CODIEREN (spelling?) using a blank .MAN file rather than doing FA_WRITE. I don't know why that worked but it did. I also updated DATEN files to the latest instead of V50.x (I forgot the exact version). That may have something to do with it but I can't imagine why. I have both a PRE and a POST TRC file saved so I'll examine them and try to find the difference for future reference.

FA_WRITE only writes the VO info, it has nothing to do with the coding values within that module.

SG_CODIERN in expert mode default codes that module based on the values in your VO.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #13
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy
Quote:
***FIXED!***

FA_WRITE only writes the VO info, it has nothing to do with the coding values within that module.

SG_CODIERN in expert mode default codes that module based on the values in your VO.
Good explanation! There should be a sticky of how to code a module back to default VO. I've seen the blank MAN method corrupt the coding data before so that not all option are visible. Expert mode all the way
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #14
dannyjones
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Good explanation! There should be a sticky of how to code a module back to default VO. I've seen the blank MAN method corrupt the coding data before so that not all option are visible. Expert mode all the way
I'd love to see a sticky with an explanation of each of the job types and the basic functions. I can follow walkthroughs, but they rarely tell you exactly what you're doing.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #15
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy View Post

Your explanation makes perfect sense. Thanks!

I was under the understanding that FA_WRITE will perform the same function as SG_CODIEREN with a blank MAN file. Also, some values within the module did change when I performed the FA_WRITE so that led me to believe that it had worked, it just didn't solve the problem, which is why it took me so long to try the SG_CODIEREN way.

Either way, I'm glad it's fixed. I learned how to use Toolset32 (out of desperation) as well so that's a silver lining I guess, haha.