F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 2015 320D Base Audio upgrade
ARMA SPEED

01-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #1
coolboy007
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D

2015 320D Base Audio upgrade

I recently got myself a sapphire black 320D and it has been one blissful experience so far with the car and that 8 speed ZF. I did not opt for Luxury/Sportsline owing to budget constraints and really miss the upgraded HIFI option. We in India do not have a "Build your own" option and have to be content with 3 different 320D and 1 328i variant options.

I got the Base stereo with 6 speakers (4 in door and 2 6.5" underseat subs") but without an amplifier. The audio quality is pathetic and even my Fiesta which costs 1/4th of this new 320D has a better OEM system, wonder how cheap BMW can be to offer such an audio system in an entry level luxury car. Researched a lot and found out some options for my audio upgrade, need your advise on it. Have already bought a 5 year warranty and service pack so do not want the warranty to get void.

Option 1
Alpine hifi upgrade kit - It would give me 2 new mid bass + 2 new tweeters and a much needed Alpine 6 channel amplifier to drive all the 6 speakers. Need to buy tweeter sill separately which would cost another 100-150 $. The alpine kit with installation here is 1100 $, total should be around 1200 $.
Would face no issues with warranty and BMW can never question as it is an OEM kit.

Option 2
Go for Bavsound stage 1 kit and get it shipped to India. Gives me tweeter sills, 4 mid ranges and 2 tweeters but there is no amplifier to drive them. The kit costs 650 $ shipped and the customs would charge another 200 $ for it, brings the total to 850 $.

I can also add a JL Audio XD600/6 later to power all bavsound speakers + underseat subs but have zero clue on how the wiring needs to be done and am sure that BMW would void warranty for adding an aftermarket amplifier. Since mine is not a HIFI, i need to get the whole wiring done again. The amplifier would cost around 450 $ here and with bavsound, this should cost 1400 $ net.

What would provide a better sound and some punchy bass? Bavsound + JL audio amp looks to be a better option but worried about warranty issues later. Alpine is a plug n play but wondering what kind of improvements can the Alpine amp provide.

Thanks
Appreciate 0