Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

01-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
dashcam installers/suggestions?

hey guys,

Anyone locally have a front/rear dashcam installed? I'd love to be able to take a look - got bit last night, so now trying to make a purchasing decision and find someone solid to do a quick install.

Thanks,
Mark
Instagram: IMrMark
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 03:54 AM   #2
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328xi, '16 F82 (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMrMark
hey guys,

Anyone locally have a front/rear dashcam installed? I'd love to be able to take a look - got bit last night, so now trying to make a purchasing decision and find someone solid to do a quick install.

Thanks,
Mark
I currently have a dash cam setup on my convertible. It's only front but I'm going to fit a front and rear dash when my M4 comes.

I have a BlackVue 650 1ch for the vert and 2ch for the M4

Imo, it looks like a straight-forward diy.
      01-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
HokieM4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Mineral Grey Metallic

I have the Blackvue 650 front and back installed in my M as well. It's extremely easy to DIY. If you want it to work in parking mode, you'll need to run the front power to the rear because that's where the fuse box is.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieM4 View Post
I have the Blackvue 650 front and back installed in my M as well. It's extremely easy to DIY. If you want it to work in parking mode, you'll need to run the front power to the rear because that's where the fuse box is.
Hello Fellow Hokie!

If you plan to do this method, I think you'll need to get a CellLink Battery because the battery doesn't provide any power after the car is stopped for 30 minutes.
      01-02-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ul View Post
Hello Fellow Hokie!

If you plan to do this method, I think you'll need to get a CellLink Battery because the battery doesn't provide any power after the car is stopped for 30 minutes.
Not true actually - you need to ensure you have the right fuse connections (I actually had to figure this out on my car as the recommendation from the BlackVue folk was actually wrong for my car). I just got my car back from the dealership with 1.5 weeks of continuous video onboard - works like a charm and has the safety cutoff should there be too much draw from the battery.
      01-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #6
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
Not true actually - you need to ensure you have the right fuse connections (I actually had to figure this out on my car as the recommendation from the BlackVue folk was actually wrong for my car). I just got my car back from the dealership with 1.5 weeks of continuous video onboard - works like a charm and has the safety cutoff should there be too much draw from the battery.
Could you provide more details on proper fuse connections?
      01-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #7
stranger
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Subbed as I'm also thinking of this
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 07:06 PM   #8
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Quote:
I think this was my concern as well. Thanks for the responses guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #9
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

155 for power and 141 for the cellink battery.
Dont run wires into your fuses like this guy does - buy a 'add-a-circuit' plug. Dont cram wires down into the fuse area and plug the fuse in. That's an ammateur install. You can get these for about $6 at autozone. The below can be used as reference to install any dash cam.

Last edited by EALm4; 01-02-2016 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2016, 07:40 PM   #10
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Also for those that want to use the Cellink battery:
The Cellink battery also needs to be hooked up to power source that is only active when the car is on... say headlights to charge itself. Otherwise when in parking mode, the cam would draw all the battery's power then be unable to recharge when driving around.

Running the wires for a clean install will most likely be the most time consuming part of the install. Get yourself a cheap trim removal tool kit off amazon for like $8
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #11
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
Dont run wires into your fuses like this guy does - buy a 'add-a-circuit' plug. Dont cram wires down into the fuse area and plug the fuse in. That's an ammateur install. You can get these for about $6 at autozone. The below can be used as reference to install any dash cam.

Hey, neat! I'll try this out. If you ever decide to do the JB4 install party, and I need help with this, do you mind if helping me out?
      01-02-2016, 08:35 PM   #12
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey, neat! I'll try this out. If you ever decide to do the JB4 install party, and I need help with this, do you mind if helping me out?
Sure thing man.

I also finally got the JB4 Stage 3 completely installed less the EWG connectors. The fuel mass sensor was impossible for me to reach by myself so I had my cousin come over. We were able to install the fuel mass connector in about 5 min during halftime of the Cotton Bowl lol. Prior I had just been running Map 1 with only the MAP and T-MAP sensors plugged in.

When you get back from PCD and ready for install just hit me up. Are you getting the JB4 connect as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #13
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure thing man.

I also finally got the JB4 Stage 3 completely installed less the EWG connectors. The fuel mass sensor was impossible for me to reach by myself so I had my cousin come over. We were able to install the fuel mass connector in about 5 min during halftime of the Cotton Bowl lol. Prior I had just been running Map 1 with only the MAP and T-MAP sensors plugged in.

When you get back from PCD and ready for install just hit me up. Are you getting the JB4 connect as well?
Hah, what happened to waiting till Spring? I am getting the JB4 Connect. I'll plan to install it sometime late Spring, early summer.
      01-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #14
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hah, what happened to waiting till Spring? I am getting the JB4 Connect. I'll plan to install it sometime late Spring, early summer.
Mod bug bit hard bruh

haha

One thing I noticed about the JB4 connect is that you cant use the flap controls on the fly via the left stalk. Also the app doesnt have the menu options within so you'll still need to understand the way to adjust things, like turning off active sound/halo brightness... etc.. Maybe there will be an update.

The connectors that come with it are garbage and small. I'm powering off the jumper terminal and grounding on the shock tower. Currently using the connectors that came with it but switching to the below so it'll be more secure. Love it so far but havent had a chance to get a 'real' pull since the weather has been shit and traffic up here has been terrible. Turning off active sound is an absolute must and my god is cold start with open flaps is LOUD.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 09:40 PM   #15
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mod bug bit hard bruh

haha

One thing I noticed about the JB4 connect is that you cant use the flap controls on the fly via the left stalk. Also the app doesnt have the menu options within so you'll still need to understand the way to adjust things, like turning off active sound/halo brightness... etc.. Maybe there will be an update.

The connectors that come with it are garbage and small. I'm powering off the jumper terminal and grounding on the shock tower. Currently using the connectors that came with it but switching to the below so it'll be more secure. Love it so far but havent had a chance to get a 'real' pull since the weather has been shit and traffic up here has been terrible. Turning off active sound is an absolute must and my god is cold start with open flaps is LOUD.
Looking forward to it
      01-03-2016, 04:12 PM   #16
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger View Post
Subbed as I'm also thinking of this
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMrMark View Post
I think this was my concern as well. Thanks for the responses guys!
Quote:
Quote:
Also for those that want to use the Cellink battery:
The Cellink battery also needs to be hooked up to power source that is only active when the car is on... say headlights to charge itself. Otherwise when in parking mode, the cam would draw all the battery's power then be unable to recharge when driving around.
Whilst I entirely agree with EALm4 that attaching the powered wires of the BlackVue (or any) dash cam to OEM fuses in place is not as neat or 'professional' as building a dedicated circuit/fuse hook-up, I in fact did this originally as a temporary setup as shown in the attached pic - but to be honest, after 4 months of it in place with continuous video I have not had one single issue with the units performance nor with anomalous draw from my car's battery - so have stayed with my 'amateur' install for now .

However I also agree that the video link EALm4 provided is misleading at best and in fact incorrect w.r.t. the correct fuses to use (always on vs temporarily on etc.) for the M4 convertible (and it appears for certain other coupes/sedans).

In respect drawing power from the car's battery in park mode I have had zero issues also as I use the Power Magic controller (the little box in my pic with the green light on). This unit basically monitors the battery voltage/draw by the dash cam and will cut draw to the dash cam below a defined limit (preferred this to the celling battery as it has its own set of issues imo). For reference, had the Dash Cam on when the car was at the dealership recently for close to two weeks and no issue with the battery and full video recorded.

Again, I would always recommend as EALm4 has, to do a more pro job with the wiring but as I say, this works for me for now. The main point of showing this pic was to highlight the fuses used as again the instructions and online advice from BlackBox my car (linked with BlackVue) are incorrect for the F83.

Hopefully helpful!

Cheers, C.
Attached Images

01-04-2016, 07:37 AM   #17
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Quote:
Hey, when you go to do this install give me a buzz, I'd love to see it and help out!

Great info in the thread to everyone, I think I know what I'll be up to this next paycheck. I've done the Awron gauge install on my own, so I've got a good trim kit and not afraid to go elbow deep... I'm just mostly worried about finding the right fuse spot to wire everything up I think. Add a circuit makes a lot of sense. Fingers crossed
Appreciate 2
      01-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #18
iM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 AH3M

I'd love to see it as well. Perhaps we should do an unofficial cars & coffee meetup!