ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
erdoran
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4si

Question about '08 navi & bluetooth

Hi, I'm new here. The bug has bit HARD and I'm negotiating a deal on a new Z4. Here are my questions:

1. The $1800 optional navi--I've ready everything I could find on it, both posts here and the minimal amnt I can glean off a google search. If I get that AND the optional Sirius in-dash radio, can I get realtime traffic via the Sirius service? And does anyone know how this compares to Honda's in-dash navi? I have an '03 Accord EX now with factory navi that I'm real used to, and this sounds similar in terms of capabilities.

2. Does the Z4 $1800 navi include Bluetooth? If I want Bluetooth & get the navi, will I have Bluetooth without buying BMWAssist/BT for $695 or the overpriced premium package?

Thanks in advance--I really need advice from a more reliable source than the dealership!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Black///Mamba
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a beast

forget the nav and put that money towards getting the ///M.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
erdoran
Private
Rep

M?

How is the M in rain? And is there a gas guzzler tax on it? Dealer said M isn't the right car for me if I need it as an almost everyday car, which I do.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

You do pay a $1K gas guzzler tax on the M (and the mileage and range will indeed be worse than the vanilla Z). That said, life is short. If you're buying the car to maximize fun just get the M. If you're buying the car to be 80% daily driver and 20% fun and expect to spend a significant amount of time in traffic or on less than perfect road surfaces (as was the case for me) then the non-M may work better for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
You do pay a $1K gas guzzler tax on the M (and the mileage and range will indeed be worse than the vanilla Z). That said, life is short. If you're buying the car to maximize fun just get the M. If you're buying the car to be 80% daily driver and 20% fun and expect to spend a significant amount of time in traffic or on less than perfect road surfaces (as was the case for me) then the non-M may work better for you.
+1 I got the 3.0si cause I didn't have the finds for an M. I am glad I didn't because I get 32 MPG highway and about 24 MPG city where the M gets about 10-16 overall from what I hear. I drive 60 miles a day commuting and this is my DD so it all worked out for the better for me. The 3.0si is a lot of fun and I doubt you will regret your decision either way.

I would not expect the NAV to be anywhere close to what Honda offers, sorry but it just isn't quite there, much harder to navigate the menus. If I am not mistakes I think you HAVE to get the Premium package in order to get the NAV package.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
erdoran
Private
Rep

Does anyone know if installing an in-dash aftermarket navi & satellite radio will affect any of the BMW factory & extended warranties? thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 01:46 AM   #7
Zeddy4Me
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 09, AW E90 M3 6MT

get the M, no regrets here... Its my Daily Driver and i have no regrets...
      02-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #8
erdoran
Private
Rep

OK you M owners--local dealer who has no reason to lie says stay away from the M because it doesn't handle well even in rain, and I'm in the northeast here--rain & snow, and this is going to be my daily drive. Any comments about that? Is the dealer right?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 02:17 AM   #9
Zeddy4Me
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 09, AW E90 M3 6MT

Its handled fine for me... but then again, I drive pretty cautiously in the rain or anytime its wet, I would think most people do... M or non M. Hhmm.. driving in the snow, well I'm sure any car except the 4x4's... wouldn't fair too well driving as if you were in normal conditions...

It is a fast lil beast and you MIGHT be slippin and slidin if not careful... I personally wouldn't drive anything less than an M car... but thats just me...
      02-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #10
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Wet handling is primarily about the tires and there are tires much better than the stock ones on the Z4Ms. If your dealer's only driven a Z4M on the Contis in the wet, I can see why he'd feel that way.

As far as mileage. My Z4M was getting ~12mpg in city driving when I first bought it, but after 2500 miles I'm now getting 15mpg and my size 15 feet have a high lead content, iykwim.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 11:06 PM   #11
Alpine M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver/Red Z4MC

The Continental tires on the M are garbage in the rain, but if you are set on the 3.0si .. you'll be fine in that.

Anyhow .. the BMW nav is no where near as good as the Honda/Acura nav system, especially the interface. I am not sure of the BT feature and such, but I am certain your dealer will be able to give you those details.

Jim
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 01:42 AM   #12
plasmasmp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
1991 Isuzu Rodeo S  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [0.00]
Garbage in the rain? Just control the slide

Seriously, with stock tires I've never had the traction control light come on, but I have gone a little sideways around curves. Just keep it slow or change the tires and you'll be fine.