E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Stable Power Supply for Coding

01-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #1
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Stable Power Supply for Coding

Seems many people have problems with bricked modules, or battery dying when coding. I have a feeling they need a good, stable power supply (NOT a charger) to keep the battery at a clean, constant running voltage of 13.6 V. So equivalent to the vehicle running, not just the 12.6 V of a fully charged battery.

I work at Acura and this is the power supply we use when reprogramming modules now. We have had many modules (especially gauges) bricked when trying to update with the vehicle on just a normal battery charger, as they do not supply a constant voltage, it is a sine wave voltage with the negative portion of the wave cut off, so the voltage sweeps from 0 to full voltage back and forth.

http://www.midtronics.com/shop/produ...ttery-chargers

Quote:
Midtronics PSC Power Supply/Battery Chargers provide clean and reliable power for charging and maintaining battery state-of-charge during service reflash, complex maintenance and in the showroom.
Reliable Power Supply during Service or on the Showroom Floor
PSC Series Power Supply/Battery Chargers keep the battery fresh throughout vehicle demonstrations, which can make significant demands on the battery.
In power supply mode, the PSC converts 120 volt AC line input into a virtually noise-free, nominal 13.4 volt DC output.
In battery charger mode, the PSC delivers current up to the rated value for charging any voltage-depressed 12 volt lead-acid battery.
Once the battery is fully charged, the PSC converts a 120 VAC line input into a virtually “noise free,” 13.6 VDC output.
I decided to post this because I checked on Amazon, and was nicely surprised by the price of this unit.

Not cheap, but $400 is a lot cheaper than replacing an FRM new.

http://www.amazon.com/Midtronics-PSC...midtronics+psc

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 01-05-2016 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #2
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Looks like a suitable alternative to the Schumacher INC-700A if you only need 55A. The PCS 700 is even more expensive than the Schumacher.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
jpregione
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

ok, here's a question (or two), if you use a power supply during programming / flashing what prevents the battery from overcharging? Also, since the power supply provides constant power what would be the difference between using a power supply or a manual battery charger with similar amp output?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 12:11 AM   #4
.Limitless
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Slow

Here's another question, how come people don't just keep the engine running while coding?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 04:21 AM   #5
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
Looks like a suitable alternative to the Schumacher INC-700A if you only need 55A. The PCS 700 is even more expensive than the Schumacher.
I picked up the inc-700 because it is dual voltage 120-240v. It has some really nice features too.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 08:12 AM   #6
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpregione View Post
ok, here's a question (or two), if you use a power supply during programming / flashing what prevents the battery from overcharging? Also, since the power supply provides constant power what would be the difference between using a power supply or a manual battery charger with similar amp output?
You can only overcharge a battery, if the voltage is kept constantly over 14.2V. The power supply for coding/flashing should be set to 13.5 Volt constant voltage.
A battery charger usually doesn't supply "clean" power, meaning there is some ripple on the voltage that can disturb the data communication on the CAN bus. During coding/flashing you don't want to have problems with data communication as it can easily brick your module.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 08:14 AM   #7
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Limitless View Post
Here's another question, how come people don't just keep the engine running while coding?
That question has been answered many times before. It is possible to use the engine as a power supply. However, after coding and flashing the modules that are being coded need to be reset. If it is your CAS (car access system) or any related ECU that the engine needs for running it could have some unforeseen effects.
Appreciate 0