BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) New X1 verses New Evoque

01-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #1
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

New X1 verses New Evoque

Somebody please knock some sense into me and stop me from considering a Land Rover Evoque. Yea I know. I know the horrible maintenance history behind Land Rovers and I probably should know better. I've always disliked LR drivers because they're probably the absolute worst drivers on the road. But I'm seriously considering a new Evoque over a new X1.

Yes I test drove the Evoque and actually liked it. Surprisingly it had lots of head room (for the driver) and it wasn't very tall off the ground (I sort of have short legs so that's important to me). The only thing I don't like about the Evoque is that it's probably a full second slower than the BMW X1 in 0-60 acceleration. I can live with the fact it has a Ford engine (the 2.0 ecoboast) but I might be hating life when my BMW friends are passing me on the up ramp to the highway. Because I'm kinda a speed freak.

But everything else I liked about the Evoque. It's interior is quite nice and I like that its door is a nice full size door so my back or thigh isn't rubbing against the b-pillar every time I enter/exit the car, although I don't think that's a problem with the X1. The Evoque's looks aren't bad too. I don't see many of the road and it's kinda cool/futuristic looking (in white. I want to get a white color).

So has anyone else compared an X1 with an Evoque, or am I the only crazy one? By the way I'm looking at the Evoque being maybe $2k more than the X1. Plus I'd have to pay for it routine maintenence. So it costs more and is slower than the X1. Maybe I am crazy.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
ShinySteelRobot
iPhone/iPad Developer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

As long as you're considering British alternatives, what about the new Jaguar F-Pace? IMHO it's beautiful; Ian Callum really knows how to design a nice vehicle. In the USA the F-Pace comes with a complementary 5 year/60K mile warranty and starts at about $41K USD.

There will be a supercharged R version available, IIRC.

01-05-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

There's much to like about the design and styling of the Evoque, but you've hit the nail on the head in terms of maintenance and reliability. Despite great strides, they still rate pretty low on the JDPower ranking, and a good friend of mine has an Evoque that has spent much of the last three months at the service centre because of a cold start issue. Perhaps they're like Alfa Romeos: every car enthusiast needs to own one -- to appreciate beauty comes at a significant cost. Me? I learnt the hard way -- two Range Rovers in the 90's -- the second because trading in on a new one was the only way I could get rid of the original lemon I bought
You have been warned!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 11:04 PM   #4
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Are they close in price there?
There is big price difference here in Australia
X1 XDrive 25i (28i in US) is A$59,990 plus DD and on roads
Evoque 2.0i is A$76,490.00 plus DD and on roads ( it's up around the 90K with the same goodies added as standard on the X1)

I had a Range Rover V8 some time back. Not having a SUV for some time, I was again looking (something a little smaller this time).
The RR was big, thirsty and bloody expensive to service (but very lux to drive)
This time around I didn't need a large SUV, so I test drove several SUVs including an Evoque, Merc GLC250, X3, Audi Q3 and Q5, VW as well as a few others when shopping for the latest drive.
I loved the look of the Evoque and it felt good to drive, however, I noticed several squeaks and rattles were present on the test vehicle when I drove it (not experienced on any of the German SUVs I tested on the same roads) and the rear vision was not good. This put some doubt in mind.
A friend had bought an Evoque some time ago, so I asked him what he though.
He said he likes it, but had a few issues that required a few trips back to dealer.
His only complaint was that the rear vision is poor when driving, and it is not as quick as he would have liked. This, along with the rattles and the price difference took the Evoque off my list.

I settled on the BMW X1 F48 as it was the best drive and had the features I was looking for in a stylish package at a very affordable price.(5 year/ 80K warrantee and all services included)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
li21
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Whats the Evoque like in terms of space? Seems very squashy to me where as the X1 is considered generous in terms of space.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #6
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep

Shineysteel, wow that Jaquar looks nice. I recall seeing the original concept in NYC and it was stellar looking. I like the engines it comes with: V6 when all its basic competitors comes with 4 cyclinders. Nice. However I'm afraid it's a little too big for me. That is Mecan and X3 size and I want something lower to the ground (I have somewhat short legs). The X1 is a nice size for me. Not too tall.

Ausf21, yes here too in the US the Evoque can climb to ridiculous price levels when optioned out with lots of features. But if I can limit myself to the lighting package only I can get it fairly close to an X1 in price. I'd still pay a little more for the Evoque. I don't understand why anyone would pay for a fully loaded Evoque (with a slow 4 cyl engine) when they get a Porsche Mecan for the same price.

Li21, believe it or not, it's not very cramped inside the Evoque. Out of all the compact SUV's I'm considering (mostly Euopean brands) it has the most head clearance. I like the fact that I don't have to remove a baseball hat while driving it. Plus, it's door is nice and large for easy entry exit. And it's not too high off the ground for me for easy entry/exit.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 10:37 PM   #7
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

Joey, good luck in your car search. The Evoque is a real looker however I feel that those looks came at a great cost of ergonomics. Several magazines reviewed the car and said the rear seats where very limited on head room and that the ride was brutal. Hopefully the ride was softened with the LCI. Additionally, as others have mentioned, reliability is a big concern. Also, does Land Rover include maintenance?

In regards to the Macan, I have test driven those at a Porsche launch event. They are not big vehicles and I would compare it more to the new X1 than an x3. It's a blast to drive but very cramped rear headspace and trunk because of roof line. Also, Porsche's are crazy expensive to maintain. I had a small heart attack each time I had to pay for maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 12:35 AM   #8
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep

Today I test drove an Evoque and then an hour later I test drove an X1. The X1 drove better. It provided a more refined ride and its engine didn't flinch when I pressed it really hard. On one occurrence the Evoque's transmission made a noticeable jerk when I pressed it hard. I might test drive the Evoque again just to see if it does that again or if it was a one time freak occurrence. If it does it again then I'll have to rule it out.
Appreciate 0