F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Good call by the High Court.
Extreme Powerhouse

01-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Good call by the High Court.

Pleased the high court did not go all jelly like and actually backed the existing law.

Was expecting someone reversal here and saying criminals had human rights.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/hi...-a3158101.html
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #2
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

thank fuck for that
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT 330D M Sport Plus

Undeniably good news.
      01-16-2016, 04:17 AM   #4
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

A 3ft maglite in my car, a baseball bat at the back door and a flick-stick in the bedside table, and nothing worth stealing. Come at me pikeys
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2016, 05:51 AM   #5
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Always makes me think this, when we were burgled last year we arrived home a couple of minutes after they had left, they ran down my drive with all my stuff, I know that if I had arrived when they were running down my drive I absolutely would have run the twats over, no doubt about that it but I reckon I'd have been bent over by the legal system for it big time.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 05:59 AM   #6
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
Always makes me think this, when we were burgled last year we arrived home a couple of minutes after they had left, they ran down my drive with all my stuff, I know that if I had arrived when they were running down my drive I absolutely would have run the twats over, no doubt about that it but I reckon I'd have been bent over by the legal system for it big time.
Yeah it gets very iffy once someone is off your property even if they are carrying your stuff with them.

Always drag the bodies back inside
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #7
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
The statement added: "Denby's family continue to believe that the current law insufficiently protects a member of the public from extreme violence being used in self-defence where, for example, the person is left in a coma or is killed because they're treated, rightly or wrongly, as an intruder into someone's home.QUOTE!!!

Bit of advice here - don't break into people's homes and you won't get put in a coma.

Step outside the law and don't come crying back to the same law to protect you.
      01-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #8
TheLiverBird
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435D M-Sport EBII

Good result, but still leaves you open to the possibility and the stress of someone trying to charge you. IMHO someone steps on/in your property with any sort of malicious intent you should be able to defend self, family and property as you see fit - and if that puts some scumbag in a coma so what - only downside I can see is the NHS (to which he's no doubt never contributed!) picking up the bill.

Ridiculous situation at the school where I teach means some scrote is currently trying to sue us after he fell off the roof when he was trying to break in over the summer and punctured a lung. Apparently it was our fault as we didn't have sufficient signs up warning him not to try to break into the school via the roof or enough vandal grease / gutter spikes.

Far too many rights given to the criminals.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #9
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLiverBird View Post
Good result, but still leaves you open to the possibility and the stress of someone trying to charge you. IMHO someone steps on/in your property with any sort of malicious intent you should be able to defend self, family and property as you see fit - and if that puts some scumbag in a coma so what - only downside I can see is the NHS (to which he's no doubt never contributed!) picking up the bill.

Ridiculous situation at the school where I teach means some scrote is currently trying to sue us after he fell off the roof when he was trying to break in over the summer and punctured a lung. Apparently it was our fault as we didn't have sufficient signs up warning him not to try to break into the school via the roof or enough vandal grease / gutter spikes.

Far too many rights given to the criminals.

A good few years ago, 2 blokes decided to break in to factory where my dad worked.

The company had just replaced one of their very big presses.

This left a large area of about 30 feet long, 15 ft wide and 20 ft deep.

It had warning signs up and posters on wall telling people to keep clear.

However, these two cnuts broke in at night, fell down the gap and both broke legs and 1 an arm I think.

They were found by police (they noticed open window and my dad was called out to open factory).

Anyhow, their solicitor pushed for suing the company for negligence as the factory was too dark at night when closed and there was not solid barrier around the gap lol.

It got kicked out.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 01:35 AM   #10
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Anyhow, their solicitor pushed for suing the company for negligence as the factory was too dark at night when closed and there was not solid barrier around the gap lol.
Any solicitor dumb enough to come up with that plan needs to be incarcerated along with the toerags he's defending

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 02:40 AM   #11
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Any solicitor dumb enough to come up with that plan needs to be incarcerated along with the toerags he's defending
Yes there needs (there may well be) some level of professional competence for certain cases.

This would cull some of the ambulance chasing brigade.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 05:08 AM   #12
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

WoW

The apple clearly did not fall far from the tree.

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 05:25 AM   #13
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
There's too much no fee no win and where there's blame there's a claim culture going on that allows and encourages any sort of potential claim bypassing common sense once the pound signs light up

When I used to work for one of the larger pharmacy chains in my role I came across several "dispensing errors" which had been clearly done by the patient in order to try and get some compensation - with little or no regard for the person on the other end of the complaint.

No action was ever taken against any of the fraudulent claimants.