F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Musicar Upgrade to HK system review
proTUNING Freaks

01-25-2016, 07:56 AM   #1
mbradlawrence
Rep
Drives: 435 gran coupe xdrive

Musicar Upgrade to HK system review

I have done a review/build log over at DIYMA for a front stage/amp/DSP upgrade. Not a pure Musicar upgrade as I already had the most bus converter/DSP and one of the two amps I used. Also, when trying to find the right spend level, the second amp was purchased instead of underseat woofer upgrade and, WHEN EQ'd the HK woofers can sound great. Without EQ they sounded flabby, like the amp could drive the excursion but not damp the return. The link is here but I will also cut and paste some pics in.....

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...build-log.html

If anyone is looking to do a BMW upgrade, call Ken at musicar first. This is my second time working with him (John is fantastic as well for tech advice by phone during an install and building the kits) and I can't recommend them enough. You are still going to have do some serious work on your end related to pulling the car apart and putting it back together but most folks wont have to do quite the work I did as I wanted to fully active in the doors and that required running new speaker wire -- that can be avoided in almost all other cases and will GREATLY reduce the amount of work. The amp rack they provide fits perfect and while I only used it for the woofers, the harness adapter is a thing of beauty.

I went with a system upgrade that included the morel hybrid 402 components and is driven by 2 arc dsi 600.4 amps. This provides 150 each to every front stage speaker and 300 to a sub. I have some (not a ton) of experience in DSP tuning a system and, with the upgrade and just a quick and dirty level matching and time align tune, have a pillar to pillar stage that puts the lead singer right under the rearview mirror (I actually like the sound shifted slightly left so still playing with that).

I'll stop here and try to copy over parts of my log.....
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 07:57 AM   #2
mbradlawrence
Rep
Drives: 435 gran coupe xdrive

Dammit, it wont let me just cut and paste from DIYMA to here. Anyways, If I get a chance, I will move the pics over but the link above works so if interested, give it a look.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

Pulled the trigger on a DA3 the day i saw this on DIY. Went to install yesterday and the MOST connector doesnt match the BMW connector. Do you know the way around this
Appreciate 0