BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Few questions from a potential owner

01-26-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
manub
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M Sport 20d

Few questions from a potential owner

Hi everybody,

I drove a X1 (xDrive 2.0 auto) last Saturday and I really liked the car. I'm looking for an elegant family car (first baby on the way!) and it ticked all my boxes.

I have a few questions from owners or people who are generally more experts about cars than I am...

- Do you think the HUD alone is worth the Navigation Plus upgrade? It seems very appealing to me, although I never used it.
- The camera that informs you of speed limits works also with kilometers instead of miles? I'm based in UK (imperial) but I'll possibly drive through Europe (metric).
- Has anybody experience of a long drive with the X1 (around 1,000 miles)? Is it comfortable enough? Relatives living in Southern Italy so I may take the trip around Xmas time...

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #2
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

HUD - Absobloodylutely. It's probably my most favourite option, closely followed by matt oak trim.

Camera - Yes. It reads the digits on the sign. Needless to say, if you're in a country with MPH signs, what you see on the dash/hud is in MPH, and so on.

I had a 400 miles round trip from Guildford to Sheffield and back in one day (3 hours stay in between; 2x non-stop 3hr long drives). I have the standard seats. Didn't feel tired at all. If you order the Sport Seats (standard with Sport and M Sport, option with xLine and SE), you'll have more side support + thigh extension. But softness of the seats is the same. It's difficult choice to be honest. Depends on your built, how tall and heavy you are, how you normally sit (high up, low, etc.)... if you can, test both standard and sport seats before your final decision. That's for the seats...

As for the ride, it all depends on what you're ordering. Softest choice is 17" + DDC + regular tyres. Sportiest and the most stiff ride is 19" + DDC (when in Sport mode) + RFT. No DDC means a balanced suspension. Not too soft, not too stiff.

I have the standard 18" + DDC + RFT. Stiffer Sport driving mode aside, it's a very comfortable ride even on horrible UK roads when you're in Comfort and Eco-Pro. I would definitely avoid 19" if you live in the UK, unless you really really really like the way it looks! You don't have to order RFTs with 18". But with the first baby on the way (congrats), the under floor boot space will come in handy. It's massive. I personally think it's worth the compromise: tyre noise vs boot space.

Last edited by KPD; 01-26-2016 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
manub
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M Sport 20d

Thanks KPD I'm thinking of the Brushed Aluminium trim. I'm a bit of a tech geek and that reminds me of MacBooks aluminum

Re camera: my question is just really how it recognises it's miles and not kms. If I'm in Italy, i.e., and there is a 50 sign - how the car knows it's kms and not miles? There's no km/h or anything like that on the sign, just plain numbers...

Rides and seats - I was thinking of going for the standard 18" + RFT as well, but adding the EDC. I'm looking more for comfort, but without renouncing to the occasional sportiness. I'm 1.71, normal build. The car I drove had leg extension so I guess those were the Sport seats. I'm test driving other couple of cars but I'll probably go for the X1, will check then with the dealer...

Wife complained seats were a bit hard... I guess she's used to the crap ones on the current car

Out of interest - I noticed you're from Surrey as well. Which dealer you've been to? I've been to Sytner in Sunningdale (though that's Berkshire) and I was very pleased with their service.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Camera simply reads the digits. It's up to you to determine whether they're in MPH or KPH. If you're in the UK, they'll be in MPH obviously and you will then have to use the MPH speedo dial as reference. In Italy, it's the KPH dial. The outer speedo dial in UK models is MPH, smaller inner dial is KPH. If you're asking whether the HUD info switches between MPH and KPH, I'm assuming that it will be automatically converted whenever satnav detects you're in mainland Europe. But I'm not really sure about that. It should be automatic, really. Would be a bit stupid if it was only in MPH!

My only complaint about 18" + DDC + RFT is tyre noise. Sidewalls aren't that short (50mm). So even without DDC, you will still have a relatively soft ride. DDC in Sport mode will become very rigid, which is of course as intended. It's great on a good road. But a bit too much on crappy roads. I mainly drive in Comfort or Eco-pro modes.

RE seats, I had to drop keyless entry and Sport seats from my options list because I really wanted the pano roof. But if you can fit Sport seats in your budget, go for it. If you're buying Sport or M Sport, you won't even have to worry about it. It's standard in the UK.

I bought mine from Vines of Guildford. Sales rep was surprisingly knowledgable (the exact opposite of the incompetent clown that showed me the GLA). I test drove the 25d in Germany back in August (a journo mate had the car for a couple of days and I happened to be there at the time). Loved it and pre ordered my petrol 20i as soon as I got back. Picked it up on launch day. Here are some more comments and photos if you're interested: http://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1187939
Appreciate 0