F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 330d PPK review
Studio RSR

02-17-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

330d PPK review

Had the PPK fitted to my 330d yesterday at Cotswolds Gloucester. It took all day, but they persevered and finished by 17:30. I deliberately took it to Cotswolds because people had recommended Phil Ennis in Parts on the forum and I knew that they’d done a few PPK’s and wouldn’t be phased by some of the coding issues, which tend to happen. The parts and service guys are friendly, professional and knowledgeable so more than happy to recommend the dealership. I’ve driven 250 miles since leaving Gloucester, mainly on motorways and fast A roads.

Initial impressions… It certainly doesn’t transform the car, the differences are subtle. With the gearbox in Normal, there are no obvious clues, although the engine does feel smoother and sounds quieter above 60mph. Driving at low speeds, however, it feels a bit more docile, and you seem to have to use the throttle more as there's a bit of lag. In Sport mode, however, the differences are more pronounced. The car feels quicker, and gear changes are lightning quick – possibly no quicker than before, but they certainly feel it. So, it's more of a Jekyll and Hyde vehicle than before, which is no bad thing.

Am mainly driving on country B roads over the next few days so I’ll use the Sport option with steering, gearbox and dampers all in Sport mode and will push the car more - when the boys in blue are still in bed
      02-17-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
b1gandy
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f30 330d M Sport + EBII + MPPK

Glad it all went well for you. I like the way you have described the performance, its how I would/should have said it. My wife drives it in ECO all the time and doesn't notice anything different but when I drop it into sport it really does feel completely different now.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Many thanks.

Been driving again this afternoon. I don't know what they've done with this remap, but the throttle response in Sport is immense. Some of the diesel gruffness has been ironed out too, in both modes.

I hadn't appreciated how much software updating was involved in the upgrade but it involves all modules, as well as the ECU apparently - or DDE as its known in the case of the diesel. The car is at the latest firmware level now across the board, including multimedia, Bluetooth, maps, TPMS etcm
      02-20-2016, 01:23 PM   #4
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gandy
Glad it all went well for you. I like the way you have described the performance, its how I would/should have said it. My wife drives it in ECO all the time and doesn't notice anything different but when I drop it into sport it really does feel completely different now.
B1gandy - did you notice your mileage till next service in your oil service indicator plummet after your PPK was installed? Mine has and I can only assume it's down to the new ECU config
      02-23-2016, 08:33 AM   #5
b1gandy
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f30 330d M Sport + EBII + MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
B1gandy - did you notice your mileage till next service in your oil service indicator plummet after your PPK was installed? Mine has and I can only assume it's down to the new ECU config
It may have dropped a bit but nothing I noticed unduly. I am about 11,000 away from my next oil service and the kit has been on for the last 6-7k miles so I don't think its anything to worry about. I think I mentioned previously that I had to reset all my trip computer values and anything else I could find because the reported economy was drastically different but in real life it wasn't using anywhere near as much fuel as the computer said it was. It seems to settle down after a thousand or so miles. Make a note of how many gallons/litres you are putting in and how far you get, thats a lot more accurate than the ECU'S first guesses at your actual range.
It does settle down in time, don't worry too much unless you really are burning a lot of oil or fuel.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gandy
Quote:
It may have dropped a bit but nothing I noticed unduly. I am about 11,000 away from my next oil service and the kit has been on for the last 6-7k miles so I don't think its anything to worry about. I think I mentioned previously that I had to reset all my trip computer values and anything else I could find because the reported economy was drastically different but in real life it wasn't using anywhere near as much fuel as the computer said it was. It seems to settle down after a thousand or so miles. Make a note of how many gallons/litres you are putting in and how far you get, thats a lot more accurate than the ECU'S first guesses at your actual range.
It does settle down in time, don't worry too much unless you really are burning a lot of oil or fuel.
Thanks for the reassurance. Mpg seems fine and oil level is fine, it's just that the ECU is telling me that the car needs an oil change a lot sooner than prior to having the PPK fitted. No matter, must be a consequence of the remap.
      03-02-2016, 08:16 AM   #7
NeilT
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport MPPK

This is interesting, and in some ways I am glad I am having the PPK fitted prior to delivery, which is this Saturday so I cant be disapointed by any negative impact it may have.

I have only driven one F30 330d, and that was with the salesman so didnt extend it too much, so I wont get to compare like some of you have.
      03-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilT View Post
This is interesting, and in some ways I am glad I am having the PPK fitted prior to delivery, which is this Saturday so I cant be disapointed by any negative impact it may have.

I have only driven one F30 330d, and that was with the salesman so didnt extend it too much, so I wont get to compare like some of you have.
So how's the car NeilT? Pics please

Last edited by JOE YOUNG; 04-04-2016 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 02:37 AM   #9
NeilT
Private
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport MPPK

I did post some pics on another thread, but here they are

Loving the car, it still amazes me how quick it feels, just the slightest twist of the accelerator and it seems to just waft along at silly speeds.
Attached Images

03-29-2016, 06:51 AM   #10
Teezy_F30
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F30 LCI 320d

very nicely specd car man .. im sure u loving the extra power now aswel!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #11
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilT View Post
I did post some pics on another thread, but here they are

Loving the car, it still amazes me how quick it feels, just the slightest twist of the accelerator and it seems to just waft along at silly speeds.
Thanks for the pics. Very nice colour combo.
      04-14-2016, 10:11 AM   #12
simnew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GranCoupe MSport

Interesting observations. I don't have the PPK fitted, but I would say that the difference in the standard car from comfort to Sport mode is immense from a throttle response perspective. Makes you wonder whether they had really dulled the throttle in Comfort to get better fuel figures. My previous LCI E91 330d felt more responsive in some ways that my current car but not when it is in Sport mode. Thats where my current GC feels much faster
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #13
ASTRO BOY
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport - White

I've ordered my MPPK and looking to have it installed in the next week or so with Cotswold BMW, Gloucester. Following all the MPPK threads I've read thus far I don't think I'll be expecting a great game changer in performance, but I am expecting the throttle response with a bit sensitivity and hope the extra Bavarian ponies will be felt. I'm assuming and extra 30-40bhp???

I used to have a Vauxhall Astra (150bhp) with tuning box which took it to 180-190bhp and although it wasn't crazy power it was the throttle response that made the difference of delivering the power as and when required.

So...just expecting the car will be a lot more active / alive shall we put it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #14
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTRO BOY
I've ordered my MPPK and looking to have it installed in the next week or so with Cotswold BMW, Gloucester. Following all the MPPK threads I've read thus far I don't think I'll be expecting a great game changer in performance, but I am expecting the throttle response with a bit sensitivity and hope the extra Bavarian ponies will be felt. I'm assuming and extra 30-40bhp???

I used to have a Vauxhall Astra (150bhp) with tuning box which took it to 180-190bhp and although it wasn't crazy power it was the throttle response that made the difference of delivering the power as and when required.

So...just expecting the car will be a lot more active / alive shall we put it.
Good luck, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Power delivery is more linear and acceleration even more effortless. You have to watch your speed as its deceptive. Have had mine for 6 months and I often find myself having to break really hard when approaching a roundabout or junction simply because the speed gain is so quick and I haven't appreciated it. Without the Ppk, the car was no slouch but the new mapping gives it a real edge
      12-07-2016, 06:55 AM   #15
Wallace330d
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCI M sport

I recently picked up an F30 330d and pretty sure it has the PPK already fitted (the sports display reads up to 320hp) although is there an obvious difference to the intercooler or way to check?

I'm disappointed with the MPG at the moment, do others find it dropped after the PPK was fitted? I'm only managing 40mpg on my commute whereas my E90 330d with no map was up at 45mpg - according to the onboard trip computers.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #16
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace330d View Post
I recently picked up an F30 330d and pretty sure it has the PPK already fitted (the sports display reads up to 320hp) although is there an obvious difference to the intercooler or way to check?

I'm disappointed with the MPG at the moment, do others find it dropped after the PPK was fitted? I'm only managing 40mpg on my commute whereas my E90 330d with no map was up at 45mpg - according to the onboard trip computers.
Should be a small metal M Performance plaque on the engine cover and a yellow sticker on top of the radiator to say that the larger intercooler has been joined to bottom of radiator with adhesive or something like that
If in doubt, check with any BMW dealer and they will confirm whether your car has had the upgrade using chassis number as only BMW can supply and install the MPPK

As for mileage, anything over 40mpg is a bonus, IMO. I get 42 on a mixed cycle, with some long journeys thrown in
      12-07-2016, 04:03 PM   #17
Wallace330d
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCI M sport

Quote:
Should be a small metal M Performance plaque on the engine cover and a yellow sticker on top of the radiator to say that the larger intercooler has been joined to bottom of radiator with adhesive or something like that
If in doubt, check with any BMW dealer and they will confirm whether your car has had the upgrade using chassis number as only BMW can supply and install the MPPK

As for mileage, anything over 40mpg is a bonus, IMO. I get 42 on a mixed cycle, with some long journeys thrown in
I thought they were meant to get a plague but couldn't find one, I'll have a look for the sticker though.

It's certainly had a lot of m performance parts put on it ie the whole catalogue thrown at it so I'd be surprised if it doesn't have the PPK but will contact the dealer as you say.

MPG sounds about right then... I think it's just that my E90 trip lied whereas this one is accurate!
Appreciate 0