BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Price Gouging - $10,000 over MSRP at BMW of Dallas

02-19-2016, 11:45 AM   #1
TheNeonTiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Price Gouging - $10,000 over MSRP at BMW of Dallas

This morning, after the review embargo was lifted, I received and email from Ryan at BMW of Dallas:

"Chris,

Thank you for your e-mail. We still don?t have any allocation available at this time. Due to availability and supply demand, we will charge $10K over MSRP.
The decision has just made from our management and dealership.

Please let me know if we can still proceed.

Thank you,
Ryan Chong"

---

My response:

"Hi Ryan,

This is unacceptable and very disappointing news. I am heavily involved in the BMW forums and will be sharing this information with the community. This is also against BMW North America's policy, and I will be notifying them of your management's decision. You should inform management of the repercussions of price gouging. Unless you will honor the European Delivery MSRP, I will need to be taken off of your list.

Chris"

---

So this sucks big time. I was number 6 on the list and prior to this communication was assured an allocation for a September pickup. Please please do not give these dealers the ability to charge such ridiculous prices.

DO NOT BUT FROM BMW OF DALLAS.

Also, if anyone can help me out with a info on a spot on a wait list that respects their customer, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Appreciate 4
      02-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeonTiger View Post
This morning, after the review embargo was lifted, I received and email from Ryan at BMW of Dallas:

"Chris,

Thank you for your e-mail. We still don?t have any allocation available at this time. Due to availability and supply demand, we will charge $10K over MSRP.
The decision has just made from our management and dealership.

Please let me know if we can still proceed.

Thank you,
Ryan Chong"

---

My response:

"Hi Ryan,

This is unacceptable and very disappointing news. I am heavily involved in the BMW forums and will be sharing this information with the community. This is also against BMW North America's policy, and I will be notifying them of your management's decision. You should inform management of the repercussions of price gouging. Unless you will honor the European Delivery MSRP, I will need to be taken off of your list.

Chris"

---

So this sucks big time. I was number 6 on the list and prior to this communication was assured an allocation for a September pickup. Please please do not give these dealers the ability to charge such ridiculous prices.

DO NOT BUT FROM BMW OF DALLAS.

Also, if anyone can help me out with a info on a spot on a wait list that respects their customer, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
This is not unheard of from them actually. Too bad they continue to do this. Best to just get on a list else where.
TBH they are located in an area where a lot of suckers would pay that mark up.

Can't wait for them to find out this isn't a 1 year 740 car production 1M repeat.

Last edited by OG///M; 02-19-2016 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
TheNeonTiger
Private First Class
Rep

I unfortunately don't have a lot of options. The list in Austin, where I live, is over 60 people long. Absolutely ridiculous. I need help!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 12:14 PM   #4
Hankdoll
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2/M3/4/5

$10K! sorry to hear that. I'm expecting the same email from my dealer (who says they're still pondering whether to sell at MSRP or above). Out of pure principle, they'd never get mark-up money from me. I know I would never truly enjoy the car after getting ripped off.
      02-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #5
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Screw that. You can have my build for $9,000 over, which seems more reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

I would print the BMW dealer list and start making calls, or emails. I bet you can find an allocation and do a Fly and Drive. Spend $2,000 on a nice week long vacation instead.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
I unfortunately don't have a lot of options. The list in Austin, where I live, is over 60 people long. Absolutely ridiculous. I need help!
Don't limit yourself to big cities in Texas, not long ago there were HEA cars available in east and west Texas and other rural areas.

If you're not in a hurry to get launch cars, just get on a moderate length list now and wait

IMO all this urgency and frustration is premature. We are still about 2 month away from launch, there will be more information about allocation and order to come.

Everyone seems to be in a rush while BMWNA is following their schedule as they should be and taking their sweet time. 4/16/16 is the day, patience.

Last edited by OG///M; 02-19-2016 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #8
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
My dealer has very short list and charges MSRP
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #9
TheNeonTiger
Private First Class
Rep

Well, the urgency is just because I want to book a flight for ED pickup before it costs my wife and me a small fortune. Each month or so I wait the prices on flights seem to go up another thousand dollars. I would be open to buying it in another city, however, so I might just start calling around.

If there are any dealers on here, I'll be getting the M2 with all options in LBB. I am also planning on getting the M Performance Grill, rear trunk spoiler, and the mirror caps. PM me if we can work together.

Last edited by TheNeonTiger; 02-19-2016 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #10
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Well, the urgency is just because I want to book a flight for ED pickup before it costs my wife and me a small fortune. Each month or so I wait the prices on flights seem to go up another thousand dollars. I would be open to buying it in another city, however, so I might just start calling around.

If there are any dealers on here, I'll be getting the M2 with all options in LBB. I am also planning on getting the M Performance Grill, rear trunk spoiler, and the mirror caps. PM me if we can work together.
You will have much better luck if you do the work yourself. Go in the M235 forum and pull up the 2-series owners map. Call towns where there is not a high concentration of M235 owners. Spend half a day dialing for dollars and I guarantee you will save yourself most if not all of the $10K.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #11
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

After the reviews came out I reconsidered my options: BMW 340i, Ford GT350, various hot hatches. Keep coming back to the M2 but I'll have to wait. It is unlikely I will get one before the 2017 model later this year. Anyone up for a ED 'Christmas in Bavaria'?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 02:11 PM   #12
TheNeonTiger
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4
You will have much better luck if you do the work yourself. Go in the M235 forum and pull up the 2-series owners map. Call towns where there is not a high concentration of M235 owners. Spend half a day dialing for dollars and I guarantee you will save yourself most if not all of the $10K.
That's smart, I'll give that a shot.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 02:22 PM   #13
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Best of luck. If you do go through with ED you can buy literally anywhere and have the car delivered either PCD or to your local dealer. They will charge you a prep fee (few hundred $) to get the car unpacked and all that shit since you didn't buy from them, but infinitely better than your current option. Otherwise if you skip ED shipping a car SF to NYC is like $1000, so you could buy the damn thing in North Dakota and have it shipped to TX and still come out over $9K ahead.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #14
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Best of luck. If you do go through with ED you can buy literally anywhere and have the car delivered either PCD or to your local dealer. They will charge you a prep fee (few hundred $) to get the car unpacked and all that shit since you didn't buy from them, but infinitely better than your current option. Otherwise if you skip ED shipping a car SF to NYC is like $1000, so you could buy the damn thing in North Dakota and have it shipped to TX and still come out over $9K ahead.
You have to get a local dealer to agree to do courtesy delivery too, not always guaranteed.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #15
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

What is your target day for ED?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeonTiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4
I did exactly what BEM said in June 2011 and got two allocations. I called 200 dealers in a day.

It's definitely not too late but you should get on the phone and start calling. Especially since the last week of the month is coming ..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #17
Thurman Murch
Lieutenant
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: M3

Autobahn is better in the DFW area

Chapman/North Scottsdale are cool

BMW Honolulu is cool too

If you have a good relationship they will hook you up

But I knew long ago people would want this car... So it shouldn't be tragic that there is a mark up especially since there is more retail money transacted in the DFW area than the rest of the USA
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 07:11 PM   #18
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

even at #6 they want 10Gs over? how many are they getting for the year? That's nuts.

when are u planning ED?

I hope it works out for you. the dealers I am working with have changed their tune with pricing too. mostly from out of town buyers I believe. luckily I have some agreements in place (1 written and several verbal). did u have an agreement?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 07:36 PM   #19
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

F that, my dealer never charges over MSRP. There are some greedy bastards feeding on ignorant buyers out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #20
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

Which dealer is it specifically. It's time I tweet it out this message to BMW NA and that dealership.

There is nothing I hate more than Dealer markups.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 10:17 PM   #21
TheNeonTiger
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by igom3
What is your target day for ED?
We were shooting for September 12th as our first choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 10:20 PM   #22
TheNeonTiger
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs
Which dealer is it specifically. It's time I tweet it out this message to BMW NA and that dealership.

There is nothing I hate more than Dealer markups.
The Dealership:
BMW of Dallas
6200 Lemmon Ave.
Appreciate 0