http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1234652
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 07:18 PM   #2
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Nice comparison. My take-away: M3 looks aggressive, M2 looks athletic.

BTW, the front of that M3 is too low, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #3
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams View Post
Nice comparison. My take-away: M3 looks aggressive, M2 looks athletic.

BTW, the front of that M3 is too low, IMO.
The M3 is lowered from stock and has M components on it. It does look beautiful in these pics. Very nicely done by OP of original thread!

The M2 is not lowered and is pretty much stock I assume. I can't wait to see the M2 lowered and have some CF stuff on it. It's going to be downright nasty!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
The M3 is lowered from stock and has M components on it. It does look beautiful in these pics. Very nicely done by OP of original thread!

The M2 is not lowered and is pretty much stock I assume. I can't wait to see the M2 lowered and have some CF stuff on it. It's going to be downright nasty!
Some lowered cars look OK but this M3 looks way to low IMO.A stock M3 looks way
better.I definitely will not be lowering my M2.The ride height looks perfect on
the M2
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #5
ConR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi S3

Those pics do make me happy that I've gone with AW.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #6
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
the M2
Yes indeed, agree 100%

M3 looks too slammed from the front, like it's on air ride suspension...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #7
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Those M2 fenders

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
the M2
Yes, I can agree with this. The OP's M3 might be a tad too low for some tastes, correct.

However, I do plan to lower the ride height on the M2 a little. I am used to the GT4 ride height and smaller wheel gap, so aesthetically it would be tough for me not to lower the M2 a tiny bit. But nothing too crazy... just tasteful.

I am planning to get the M Perf suspension anyway, although the M2 stock height is not bad at all. I agree there.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #9
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
Those M2 fenders

That's one of the best parts of the M3 right there, and in this case, I don't think the M2 can compete. It will win in other categories, but not the fender flare contest

Quote:
Yes, I can agree with this. The OP's M3 might be a tad too low for some tastes, correct.

However, I do plan to lower the ride height on the M2 a little. I am used to the GT4 ride height and smaller wheel gap, so aesthetically it would be tough for me not to lower the M2 a tiny bit. But nothing too crazy... just tasteful.

I am planning to get the M Perf suspension anyway, although the M2 stock height is not bad at all. I agree there.
Are you adding the M2 to the GT4 or replacing?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #10
MTHRAR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConR View Post
Those pics do make me happy that I've gone with AW.
The M3 in this pic is Mineral White. Just wanted to give you the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #11
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Are you adding the M2 to the GT4 or replacing?
Unfortunately, the GT4 had to go. My wife and I are moving out of the city and buying our first home after years of renting. We have been moving city to city and are finally settling down soon.

So, financially and emotionally it is a no-brainer for me to get the M2. Pretty much an instant decision after hearing the new Caymans will go turbo 4 and will still cost a lot more than the M2 (the 718 S will, and that's closest in performance to the current GT4). The M2 is half the price of the GT4, yet will still be such an enjoyable car, albeit different driving experience. It really is such a good value proposition for enthusiasts.

My only regret was not tracking the GT4 this spring/summer as I had planned to. But I had the car for half a year and thoroughly enjoyed it even through break-in. I babied it (xpel, paint correction, etc), but still took long trips in it, and drove it hard..

All the hype was warranted on the GT4, but I have always had BMWs, so I know the M2 is going to be a fun car in its own right. I am also considering the M3 with Comp Pkg if I go 4 door. Either way, I am excited for either M car.

As for the M2, due to its great pricing, it's going to leave me with some extra money to put some fun mods on it.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #12
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Unfortunately, the GT4 had to go. My wife and I are moving out of the city and buying our first home after years of renting. We have been moving city to city and are finally settling down soon.

So, financially and emotionally it is a no-brainer for me to get the M2. Pretty much an instant decision after hearing the new Caymans will go turbo 4 and will still cost a lot more than the M2 (the 718 S will, and that's closest in performance to the current GT4). The M2 is half the price of the GT4, yet will still be such an enjoyable car, albeit different driving experience. It really is such a good value proposition for enthusiasts.

My only regret was not tracking the GT4 this spring/summer as I had planned to. But I had the car for half a year and thoroughly enjoyed it even through break-in. I babied it (xpel, paint correction, etc), but still took long trips in it, and drove it hard..

All the hype was warranted on the GT4, but I have always had BMWs, so I know the M2 is going to be a fun car in its own right. I am also considering the M3 with Comp Pkg if I go 4 door. Either way, I am excited for either M car.

As for the M2, due to its great pricing, it's going to leave me with some extra money to put some fun mods on it.
Sorry to hear you had to sell your GT4. It was on my very "short" list of cars, but due to only 2 seats available, I had to scratch it out.

Looking forward to your M2 review compared to the GT4!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #13
csbear
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
Sorry to hear you had to sell your GT4. It was on my very "short" list of cars, but due to only 2 seats available, I had to scratch it out.

Looking forward to your M2 review compared to the GT4!
Yeah, it was a great car! But priorities are priorities...

Also, a big reason I am getting the M Performance suspension on the M2, is so I can get the firm ride I was accustomed to on the GT4.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #14
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

I love the Rear of the M3. Always have. Always will, but the front of the M2 is growing on me everyday. I would take the m2 front. M3 Ass.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #15
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs, NSX.

Cross-posting my response from that forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku
The "hips", IMHO, are the 2nd worst design pain point of the M3.
(The worst pain point being the headlights-stuck-to-grille, which creates far too much tension.
Looks like an angry cartoon character.)

The problem with the M3's rear fenders is that BMW M is not allowed to create special "M doors."
So the standard 3-Series doors must be used. Unfortunately that leaves only 3" between door and rear wheel arch.
This causes the leading edge of the rear fender flares, to me anyway, to look like they've been pried out with a crowbar.
If special "M doors" were allowed, then the trailing edge of the doors could begin the flare, which could
continue into the rear fenders in front of the wheels. A more sophisticated and elegant solution. But no.

The 4-Series doesn't suffer from this problem because its doors end about 9 inches in front of the rear wheel arch.
So the fenders can be flared gradually. Just like the M2.
Just my $0.02.
Agreed. I would like to make a few points..First, the M2's bulged/flared fenders (not just fender lips) work very well for what it was supposed to be: a muscular, sports coupe inspired by the e30 M3, which itself has bulged/flared fenders. In this sense, it's design is a nice evolution of the e30M3.

Second, the M2 and it's flared/bulged fenders does give it the more muscular look. Sure, the M3 with it's flared fender lips does look nice, but personally, for a sports coupe/car, I'd want the flared fenders and rest of the body. (In contrast, flared fender lips work very well on the M3 and on sedans.) It takes a lot more creativity to incorporate "flaring" not only into the fenders, but also into the rest of the car's body as well (compared to just flaring the fender lips and leaving the rest of the car's body the same as it's standard counterpart). How many exotics and high-end sports cars have flared fender lips as opposed to flared/bulged fenders? For this, I praise BMW for being more bold in the design, even though it could still have been better.

The M2, once lowered and with even bigger wheels (like the OP's M3), will look extremely muscular and menacing. It has plenty of potential, as can be seen here:

For those posting hips of girls or commenting on them, I personally want my car to look muscular and aggressive (like any owner of a sports car or exotic would want), not like a cute girl with hips. j/k
Appreciate 1