THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Just got JB4 and ER chargepipe installed. Some questions

03-18-2016, 07:20 AM   #1
BimmerLOVER1234
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 718 CAYMAN S

Just got JB4 and ER chargepipe installed. Some questions

Recently collected my 228i, and to be honest, a little underwhelmed at the performance. Love the way the car handles though. Running an automatic transmission.

So i decided to look into possible tunes, talked to a few workshops, and ended up with JB4 and the ER chargepipe.

Noticed alot of users here are contemplating on a tune but like me, are not sure if they want to take the leap, so i'll be chronicling my experience for others.

First i have a few questions i hope some veterans here like mike can assist with.

I'm a little confused about JB4 versus BMS stage 1 and the whole thing with stages in general.

my questions:

I'm currently running JB4 on map 1.

Most importantly, is this safe to run JB4 MAP 1 without any other modifications ? (Everything else is stock)

Is map 1 considered a stage 1 tune? What then is considered stage 2 with JB4? Or even better, would be great to understand what defines each stage:

JB STAGE 1
JB4 Stage 1
JB4 Stage 2
JB4 Stage 3

Current: ER CHARGEPIPE + JB4
NEXT: WAGNER COMPETITION EVO1 INTERCOOLER
NEXT : IGEN INTAKE

I did a dyno at stock and am planning to do another dyno run with each drop in added so i can see the benefits each time i add an item as well as share my impressions.

STOCK (no mods nothing)

JB4 MAP 1 + ER CHARGE PIPE

[DYNO COMMING SOON]

Impressions: Torque comes in faster and longer. The torque increase is also extremely pronounced, and the throttle response is far improved. I'll be doing a dyno right before the next mod.

Last edited by BimmerLOVER1234; 04-16-2016 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 07:45 AM   #2
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Not sure what you expected from map 1, and the charge pipe would do nothing for performance, but you should have a little more "punch" on the low end.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 07:51 AM   #3
BimmerLOVER1234
Enlisted Member
Rep

i didn't expect anything actually (or rather just didn't know what to expect? i just wanted it to be better than stock). but was pleased with the result. the dyno i linked is totally stock before map 1. i will do another dyno for map 1 with the jb4.

The main questions i have is to understand the difference between the varous stages, and which stage does map 1 represent? (Also is it safe to run map 1 with almost everything else stock.)

i see people saying their JB4 is stage 2, but what exactly is JB4 stage 1 or 2? is it the maps?

Last edited by BimmerLOVER1234; 03-18-2016 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerLOVER1234 View Post
i didn't expect anything actually (or rather just didn't know what to expect? i just wanted it to be better than stock). but was pleased with the result. the dyno i linked is totally stock before map 1. i will do another dyno for map 1 with the jb4.

The main questions i have is to understand the difference between the varous stages, and which stage does map 1 represent? (Also is it safe to run map 1 with almost everything else stock.)

i see people saying their JB4 is stage 2, but what exactly is JB4 stage 1 or 2? is it the maps?
Stage 1 means it connects to MAP and TMAP sensors and adds boost

Stage 2 connects to the Canbus, which gives it access to RPM, Fuel, AFR,etc...

Yes you can run map 1 with a stock car .. Jb4 offers the same map as JB stage 1 on map 1

Here is a full list of maps
Map 0: JB4 disabled.
Map 1: PWG models absolute target 21psi peak, EWG models additive 4psi peak over stock.
Map 2: PWG models absolute target 22psi peak, EWG models additive 6psi peak over stock.
Map 3: Progressive Methanol Injection. Requires BMS methanol kit or BMS FSB for meth pump control.
Map 4: Stock performance, JB4 on
Map 5: Absolute targeting map with a peak boost 17psi. Suitable for 320 & 520 applications.
Map 6: User definable absolute target map. Suggested for troubleshooting by professionals only.
Map 7: Race gas absolute target map. Peak boost 23psi. This is a fairly aggressive map and increases engine damage risk. Use with caution.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2016, 09:02 PM   #5
Csmoove195
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is AW/CR 6 Speed

Both the injen intake and charge pipe don't do much for preformance, but more for better protection in case you plan to run higher boost(charge pipe) or maybe a bigger turbo in the future(only then you'll benefit/add power from the injen intake)
If you already have the jb4 in and don't feel as if map 1 is adding that extra push, the downpipe/exhaust/93 octane combination will give you the full benefits of map 2 (which you should only use with those mods installed if you weren't aware) That will definitely increase your power, not " just feeling like it's faster".
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 02:46 AM   #6
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

Any updates on your after dyno?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
BimmerLOVER1234
Enlisted Member
Rep

Will be going this fri or sat to do a dyno with jb4, than another.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

Quote:
Will be going this fri or sat to do a dyno with jb4, than another.
Looking forward to it! I'm kind of surprised with the amount of these units in peoples hand, that there isn't more dyno graphs and 1/4 times to validate the purchase of this tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 06:49 AM   #9
BimmerLOVER1234
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just got the ER downpipe installed:

First Impressions are that the car is less refined, with more rumble. The workshop told me that it will get better after 2 days. anyone had any experience with this? Would be great if other ER downpipe users could share their experience.

Also, i noticed low end torque seems to actually be less, while high end power and mid range power seems more potent. will do more testing.

The dyno was packed with people waiting so i've made an appointment next week to run

:JB4 OFF with downpipe
:JB4 ON with downpipe
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Just got the ER downpipe installed:

First Impressions are that the car is less refined, with more rumble. The workshop told me that it will get better after 2 days. anyone had any experience with this? Would be great if other ER downpipe users could share their experience.

Also, i noticed low end torque seems to actually be less, while high end power and mid range power seems more potent. will do more testing.

The dyno was packed with people waiting so i've made an appointment next week to run

:JB4 OFF with downpipe
:JB4 ON with downpipe
As long you have no leak and product is installed correctly you should not be losing any power anywhere in the RPM range

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:44 AM   #11
Csmoove195
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is AW/CR 6 Speed

I have had ER Downpipes and Jb4, intake etc.. in for 5k miles or so, and the power increase imo is noticeable in low, mid, and high end, but definitely in mid/high end more than anything. The sound is such an impressive growl even for a 4 cyl, and will be slightly louder on start up/warm up as you break it in.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #12
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Recently collected my 228i, and to be honest, a little underwhelmed at the performance. Love the way the car handles though. Running an automatic transmission.

So i decided to look into possible tunes, talked to a few workshops, and ended up with JB4 and the ER chargepipe.

Noticed alot of users here are contemplating on a tune but like me, are not sure if they want to take the leap, so i'll be chronicling my experience for others.

First i have a few questions i hope some veterans here like mike can assist with.

I'm a little confused about JB4 versus BMS stage 1 and the whole thing with stages in general.

my questions:

I'm currently running JB4 on map 1.

Most importantly, is this safe to run JB4 MAP 1 without any other modifications ? (Everything else is stock)

Is map 1 considered a stage 1 tune? What then is considered stage 2 with JB4? Or even better, would be great to understand what defines each stage:

JB STAGE 1
JB4 Stage 1
JB4 Stage 2
JB4 Stage 3

Current: ER CHARGEPIPE + JB4
NEXT: ER INTERCOOLER
NEXT : IGEN INTAKE

I did a dyno at stock and am planning to do another dyno run with each drop in added so i can see the benefits each time i add an item as well as share my impressions.

STOCK (no mods nothing)

JB4 MAP 1 + ER CHARGE PIPE

[DYNO COMMING SOON]

Impressions: Torque comes in faster and longer. The torque increase is also extremely pronounced, and the throttle response is far improved. I'll be doing a dyno right before the next mod.

What was the cause of the dip from 3400-3600rpms? That's strange to me...it recovers power-wise..but still stands out.

So what were the stock numbers? 240rwhp??
      04-07-2016, 06:41 AM   #13
BimmerLOVER1234
Enlisted Member
Rep

That image is the stock numbers. i haven't done the run with the other items yet.

Been trying to settle in with the ER DP, but not too happy so far as the change in the amount of vibrations felt in the car is pretty drastic. May even consider removing it.

Basically, the seat and the floor vibrates everytime i go past the 2.5k rpm mark, it just feels really rough, and the car vibrates at idle after some driving. Takes the fun out of this pretty much.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 10:56 AM   #14
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
That image is the stock numbers. i haven't done the run with the other items yet.

Been trying to settle in with the ER DP, but not too happy so far as the change in the amount of vibrations felt in the car is pretty drastic. May even consider removing it.

Basically, the seat and the floor vibrates everytime i go past the 2.5k rpm mark, it just feels really rough, and the car vibrates at idle after some driving. Takes the fun out of this pretty much.
Not sure on your model, but on the 235 it should not give you a noticeable change in physical vibrations on the car or in the cabin.

Sounds like you might have an install issue. Maybe a bad exhaust leak or it's vibrating against something under the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 01:44 PM   #15
BimmerLOVER1234
Enlisted Member
Rep

Some updates. found a spot where the fitment was touching, vibration is gone!

Had the wager evo competition intercooler installed as well.

Changed rims to 7 KG advan Rs rims

Power delivery is smooth, consistent and significantly more potent. A dyno is coming now that i'm satisfied with the result!

Next up! , Big brake kit and KW DDC coilovers!
Appreciate 0