THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions DIY: Burger Tuning short throw clutch stop install

03-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #1
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

DIY: Burger Tuning short throw clutch stop install

While researching my car I noticed that people were complaining about the clutch travel being insanely long. They were right. :/ Prior to purchasing my car I went ahead and ordered this (no affiliation). I finally got around to installing it last night. Install took about 20 minutes, but can definitely be done in less time.

Clutch travel and engagement are soooooooooooo much better after installing this. THis is the way it should have been from the factory lol.

Burger does provide an installation guide, but MY2016 appears to have changed a bit. I'll add pictures after I upload them somewhere. This site is a pain when trying to upload pics.

Tools needed:
A contortionist
10mm socket
Socket wrench
Flashlight

1) Start by removing the 10mm nuts. Burger's install shows three torx screws. Apparently these have been replaced.

2) Using the pull and pray method shimmy yourself under the steering wheel and pry off the plastic panel. I found it easiest to start on the side where the OBDII port is located. Pull down to get the clips at the front of the panel to come loose. Front being the side closest to the driver. Once you get one side it's pretty easy to get the rest to follow. Drop the now free panel down, but not too far. You have some wires to disconnect.

3) Disconnect the blue connector pin on the little speaker. Squeeze on the left side of the connector to get it off.

4) Disconnect the black connector from the light. This was a pain and I thought I was doing something wrong. Wiggle it left to right and it will finally come free.

5) Pull the panel completely out and set it aside

6) Using a flashlight locate the tiny oem rubber clutch stop

7) With the Burger stop in hand shimmy back underneath the steering wheel

8) Pull out the tiny oem clutch stop

9) Push in the new hotness clutch stop

10) Crank up the car and mess with the clutch engagement. Burger suggested using all 3 shims. I found that using all three left like zero clutch travel before clutch engagement. Using two shims was the right answer for me.

11) Park your car (duh)

12) Starting from the back (furthest away from the driver) reinstall the plastic cover. Don't put it all the way in though.

13) Reconnect the speaker and light harnesses

14) Push the panel back up into position until the clips are seated

15) Reinstall the 10mm bolts
Attached Images

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread

Last edited by BentZero; 05-02-2016 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Added pics.....way too many steps lol. I originally uploaded pics in this post as attachments. Then edited the first post and inserted the image tags using the location of the attached pics. Then edited this post and removed the attachments. Luckily the site doesn't delete the pics when removing the attachments. Anyway, hope this was helpful. Happy modding.

Build thread

Last edited by BentZero; 03-20-2016 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #3
SMB F83
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 SMB M4 Convertible

Or toss an LED work light in and lay on your back in the footwell, move the rubber gap filler in that panel around the brake pedal arm (or clutch arm, depending on how far into the footwell you landed) with your fingers so you can see the clutch stop, and pull it with pliers.

I've installed, and then had the BMS clutch stop in and out a couple of times for adjustment without pulling the under dash panels, so it's possible.
      03-21-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert_lover View Post
Or toss an LED work light in and lay on your back in the footwell, move the rubber gap filler in that panel around the brake pedal arm (or clutch arm, depending on how far into the footwell you landed) with your fingers so you can see the clutch stop, and pull it with pliers.

I've installed, and then had the BMS clutch stop in and out a couple of times for adjustment without pulling the under dash panels, so it's possible.
I had actually considered that, but wanted a project so figured I'd do it the hard way lol. I'll keep this in mind should I want to adjust it again. Crap, it killed my images. :/ Guess the attachment clean-up isn't immediate.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 05:49 PM   #5
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Just did this myself. Best $10 mod ever. I removed 1 of the 3 rubber washers as well, and now there's about an inch of play before the clutch grabs. Hard to believe BMW didn't set it up this way from the factory.

Thanks so much for the tip BentZero!
      04-23-2016, 12:05 AM   #6
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Just did this myself. Best $10 mod ever. I removed 1 of the 3 rubber washers as well, and now there's about an inch of play before the clutch grabs. Hard to believe BMW didn't set it up this way from the factory.

Thanks so much for the tip BentZero!
That's awesome! Yeah man, I don't even think about the clutch anymore. It's a lot more natural now and I shift a lot smoother. My next tip.....get an intake. So worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:09 AM   #7
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Thanks for this write up man! Been looking at this mod for a bit but wasn't sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #8
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
Thanks for this write up man! Been looking at this mod for a bit but wasn't sure.
No problem. I need to update this with pics. I forgot that it removed them.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #9
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Have you tried the Clutch Delay valve from Burger? Seems pretty cool as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #10
SMB F83
Private
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately BMW engineered out the external, replaceable (thus deletable) CDV on the 2 series. So we're stuck dealing with the CDV effects.
      05-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #11
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vert_lover
Quote:
Unfortunately BMW engineered out the external, replaceable (thus deletable) CDV on the 2 series. So we're stuck dealing with the CDV effects.
noooooo
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 07:33 PM   #12
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm not familiar with this. What's the issue?

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #13
SMB F83
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
BMW, in their great engineering wisdom, has often decided that we aren't fully capable of controlling clutch engagement on our own.

So they put a valve between the Clutch Master Cylinder and the Slave that restricts the flow of fluid. When you move the clutch pedal, it actually slows the release of the slave cylinder to not be completely linear with the clutch pedal movement. Thus "Clutch Delay Valve"

Coming from 22 years driving Miatas where the clutch is hard-wired to the pedal (especially after you swap out the normal clutch line with a double loop, for a direct SS line) it's a bit odd to have it be so laggy

I've adjusted, but it's annoying not to be able to replace the CDV with one that's been bored out (no restrictions) so it acts like a hydraulic clutch system should, and pedal movement is directly reflected in pressure plate movement.

It used to be external and you could just swap it for one with that was modified so it provided no restrictions. In the 2 series, it's been integrated into the bell-housing/clutch, so not an easy external replacement/fix/hack/whatever.
      05-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #14
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
BMW, in their great engineering wisdom, has often decided that we aren't fully capable of controlling clutch engagement on our own.

So they put a valve between the Clutch Master Cylinder and the Slave that restricts the flow of fluid. When you move the clutch pedal, it actually slows the release of the slave cylinder to not be completely linear with the clutch pedal movement. Thus "Clutch Delay Valve"

Coming from 22 years driving Miatas where the clutch is hard-wired to the pedal (especially after you swap out the normal clutch line with a double loop, for a direct SS line) it's a bit odd to have it be so laggy

I've adjusted, but it's annoying not to be able to replace the CDV with one that's been bored out (no restrictions) so it acts like a hydraulic clutch system should, and pedal movement is directly reflected in pressure plate movement.

It used to be external and you could just swap it for one with that was modified so it provided no restrictions. In the 2 series, it's been integrated into the bell-housing/clutch, so not an easy external replacement/fix/hack/whatever.
Good grief. That sounds horrible.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #15
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

I just ordered my clutch stop thingy today, looking forward to installing it. Thanks for the write up.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #16
SMB F83
Private
Rep

Quote:
It's just a matter of getting used to the clutch engagement. About the only real downside is I find that when I'm really driving aggressively I have to tone down my shifts just the tiniest amount to allow for the delay.

In day to day driving, it actually makes things a bit more relaxed and smoother.

(There's a reason why people love Miatas so much, there being such a direct connection between the driver, controls and car.)
      05-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #17
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's just a matter of getting used to the clutch engagement. About the only real downside is I find that when I'm really driving aggressively I have to tone down my shifts just the tiniest amount to allow for the delay.

In day to day driving, it actually makes things a bit more relaxed and smoother.

(There's a reason why people love Miatas so much, there being such a direct connection between the driver, controls and car.)
Yeah, I was gonna ask if this is why I have to mind my shifts when I get aggressive.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #18
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Just installed it. Super easy. I went ahead and did it with two shims, as you guys have said. I gotta run to the store later so I'll see how it feels then.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #19
AKPAB
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Just did this mod by feel, basically. Put my hand up and behind the clutch pedal, yanked the stock piece, and put in the new unit minus one shim. Went for a drive, used both comfort and sport, decided the clutch engagement was a bit abrupt, so back at the ranch, removed one more shim.

One shim plus the thicker/wider face seems to do the trick for me and my car. Overall a worthwhile and easy mod. The total number of shims will be user dependent, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 04:36 PM   #20
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Whats the point of making a long throw clutch from factory if its just dead space ?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:27 PM   #21
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I've owned my M235 6MT since early February. Two weeks after getting the car, I made my own "clutch pedal stop" with a piece of 1/2" by 1/2" 1/4" high durometer rubber and 3M tape.

I've been driving manuals since 1993 and found the clutch engagement on the M235 to be off at times, specifically starting in 1st and the 1-2 shift. It's like the engagement point moves around a bit. Basically I could occasionally be a abrupt when leaving in 1st or on the 1-2 shift. I found this annoying and a bit ego shattering considering how long I owned and competitively raced manual transmission cars.

After learning a bit more about how these CDVs work and most importantly, BMW's clutch system design that maintains the engagement in the same overall area as the clutch wears, last week I decided to remove my clutch stop and see if there was a change. To my amazement, it's far easier to modulate the clutch and I'm smooth all the time. Yes, the OEM clutch travel is a bit excessive, but it makes for much easier and consistent modulation. Given this, I do have doubts about the overall effectiveness of the clutch stop and it's operation in relationship to BMW's clutch system design. I can also see how even just a 3/8" thick clutch stop could potentially negatively effect the life of the clutch assembly.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #22
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I've owned my M235 6MT since early February. Two weeks after getting the car, I made my own "clutch pedal stop" with a piece of 1/2" by 1/2" 1/4" high durometer rubber and 3M tape.

I've been driving manuals since 1993 and found the clutch engagement on the M235 to be off at times, specifically starting in 1st and the 1-2 shift. It's like the engagement point moves around a bit. Basically I could occasionally be a abrupt when leaving in 1st or on the 1-2 shift. I found this annoying and a bit ego shattering considering how long I owned and competitively raced manual transmission cars.

After learning a bit more about how these CDVs work and most importantly, BMW's clutch system design that maintains the engagement in the same overall area as the clutch wears, last week I decided to remove my clutch stop and see if there was a change. To my amazement, it's far easier to modulate the clutch and I'm smooth all the time. Yes, the OEM clutch travel is a bit excessive, but it makes for much easier and consistent modulation. Given this, I do have doubts about the overall effectiveness of the clutch stop and it's operation in relationship to BMW's clutch system design. I can also see how even just a 3/8" thick clutch stop could potentially negatively effect the life of the clutch assembly.
Well, it's a good thing that I kept the stock clutch stop then. I'll swap it out if I run into warranty issues. That said, this mod has been around for years and I've yet to see a report saying that it negatively affected the clutch. Could be that I didn't search hard enough though. :/

Build thread
Appreciate 0