F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 335is to 435i GC - I need words of encouragement
Extreme Powerhouse

03-21-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
liverpool
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i GC w/MPPK+MPE

335is to 435i GC - I need words of encouragement

So, I think I might have made a mistake and need some words of encouragement that it perhaps wasn't so bad. It's probably just a temporary buyer's remorse.

The lease of my 2012 335is in BSM expired and instead of considering buying it I chose to turn it in and lease a 2016 435i GC with MPPK and MPE in Mineral Gray and Oyster leather interior. It's got all the requisite M Sport package, Track Handling package, as well as Technology package, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, and 19inch Orbit Gray wheels.

I thoroughly enjoyed and loved driving the 335is with it's hydraulic steering and turbo overboost. It's only been a day with the 435 but I can already feel it seems to lack some of the soul of the is. Am I being premature and should give it more time before passing judgement? Those of you who own one or have driven one, I would appreciate some words of encouragement of what you love about the car. It's certainly a gorgeous looking car, that's for sure. Should I give it 1200 miles before thrashing it about?

Cheers!
19" M wheel w/perf non-rft
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

The F30 even equipped as you have done is going to lack the driving dynamics of the 335is. The EPS will never be as good as the E90 HPS. One suggestion is to add the BMW M Performance suspension.

Also, instead of disappointment, focus on what the F30 GS does better than your car. It looks better, has a sportier interior, more room, rides better and gets better fuel economy with a better transmission. It's a better everyday driver.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott
The F30 even equipped as you have done is going to lack the driving dynamics of the 335is. The EPS will never be as good as the E90 HPS. One suggestion is to add the BMW M Performance suspension.

Also, instead of disappointment, focus on what the F30 GS does better than your car. It looks better, has a sportier interior, more room, rides better and gets better fuel economy with a better transmission. It's a better everyday driver.
This is pretty much spot on. Per my signature below, I currently own both an E90 330i and an F30 335i (with all the MSport goodies, including the adaptive suspension). The F30 is an improvement in so many areas over the E90. Unfortunately, driving dynamics are not one of them.

Enjoy it for what it is though...and give it several weeks before passing final judgement, as it is a fine automobile.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
^^^ what these guys said. The 335is would be roughly equivalent to an E46 ZHP. It's hard to replace. In two weeks I think you'll love a lot about your Gran Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
Nirvanatude
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I hear you and I was in exactly same position about a year ago. I too came from 335is which I thoroughly enjoyed and then got into 435 GC MPPK+MPE. I was hesitant to sell my 'is' but had to because I needed 4 doors. I can straigh-up tell you it's not the same mainly because F series is different from E. From 335is perspective major differences (not necessarily in a bad way) that are most notable - Exhaust sound and steering feel.

'is' Exhaust vs. F36 MPE in addition with MPPK - 'is' exhaust is slightly higher pitched and you know 'intoxicating' whereas 435 MPE is more deeper but it pops and burbles at each shift in sports mode...and even more when its all warmed up after a spirited ride. did I say it burbles a lot!

Steering Feel - Much has been said about EPS in F series but it has got better since 2015 onwards in 4 series and works well with M adaptive suspension.

DCT vs. 8 speed - This auto is amazing and you wont miss DCT specially in sports mode with paddle shifts

And there are other things I love about my car - dynamic driving settings, M adaptive suspension, hatch door, better interiors, latest idrive, launch control and many more.

Give it some time and the exhaust note gets better after break-in period. Also read about how the exhaust flaps are controlled in MPE.

2015 435xi GC: AW on CR, Premium, Executive, M Performance I
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 04:42 PM   #6
P-Bass
The Ox
Rep
Drives: 2009 Porsche Carrera S Coupe

I'll probably get flamed, I really LIKE my F30, I LOVED my E90. I think I'm an odd duck here; I don't care about the comfort/tech factors etc, I miss my sports sedan. From what I've read here and in the rags, the steering/suspension has gotten progressively better since 2013 and the new cars are great. I hope you grow into yours as others have.

I have a deposit on an M2, don't need a sedan, and I think it will scratch my itch.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #7
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpool View Post
So, I think I might have made a mistake and need some words of encouragement that it perhaps wasn't so bad. It's probably just a temporary buyer's remorse.

The lease of my 2012 335is in BSM expired and instead of considering buying it I chose to turn it in and lease a 2016 435i GC with MPPK and MPE in Mineral Gray and Oyster leather interior. It's got all the requisite M Sport package, Track Handling package, as well as Technology package, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, and 19inch Orbit Gray wheels.

I thoroughly enjoyed and loved driving the 335is with it's hydraulic steering and turbo overboost. It's only been a day with the 435 but I can already feel it seems to lack some of the soul of the is. Am I being premature and should give it more time before passing judgement? Those of you who own one or have driven one, I would appreciate some words of encouragement of what you love about the car. It's certainly a gorgeous looking car, that's for sure. Should I give it 1200 miles before thrashing it about?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Bass View Post
I'll probably get flamed, I really LIKE my F30, I LOVED my E90. I think I'm an odd duck here; I don't care about the comfort/tech factors etc, I miss my sports sedan. From what I've read here and in the rags, the steering/suspension has gotten progressively better since 2013 and the new cars are great. I hope you grow into yours as others have.

I have a deposit on an M2, don't need a sedan, and I think it will scratch my itch.
I won't flame you, but I'll ask a couple of questions. Does your xDrive have the adaptive suspension?

Why won't an M235i scratch your itch? If you're moving to an ///M2 that says quite a bit about what qualifies as sporty enough to satisfy you.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #9
Paz1
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3

OP, u made a mistake.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #10
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

Ive never owned an e90 or e92 but i agree that these newer generation 3 series has lost its feel and connectedness to the road. Its just how car companies are moving forward from now on and i dont think bmw are going back to old hydraulic steering racks. I had a 2003 g35 that had some of that soul and feeling that you are talking about and i did immediatey notice the dofference when i bought my f30 in 2013. 3 years later i barely even think about the difference. Maybe cuz im getting old (32yrs) or ive gotten so comfortable drivin around with the electronic steering that it doesnt bother me much anymore. In fact as a daily driver the electronic steering is loads easier on my body and is precise enough. Correct me if im wrong but arent the m2,m3, m4 all electronic steering as well??
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 04:57 PM   #11
P-Bass
The Ox
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by __ View Post
I won't flame you, but I'll ask a couple of questions. Does your xDrive have the adaptive suspension?

Why won't an M235i scratch your itch? If you're moving to an ///M2 that says quite a bit about what qualifies as sporty enough to satisfy you.
Yes, it's loaded, DHP. First and last x-drive for me. A good set of snows, which I also have used on this car, are all I need. Before the DINAN springs, bump stops and shockware, I was not happy. Yes I test drove it, but it was an auto and the car didn't wallow as much between gears as the manual, the nose actually bounced up and down between gears. The Dinan mods really woke it up. The engine, as always, is fantastic. It just isn't as eager to play as the 2011 E90 was. I thought about a M235, and was seriously considering one. As soon as I heard about the M2 I said why not? More of what the M235 is, which is an excellent car. I haven't driven a 340 yet, and from what I've read, it is an excellent car, so I will reserve judgement.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 05:13 PM   #12
P-Bass
The Ox
Rep

LOL, you're old? I'm 53, still love to drive, I actually look forward to driving. And yes the new M's are electric. I've driven the new M3/4, steering is better, still not what it used to be ,as you said, it's a new world. I think the M5 and maybe the M6 are still hydraulic, I'd have to check.

To the other question, yes I want a much more aggressive car this time. I miss it and want it back. That old 2011 E90 M-Sport was a blast, I want that sensation back again. I'm actually considering a Camaro SS, let the flames begin!

Last point: My wife has a 2012 E93, I told her we are NEVER selling it, the steering is sublime.

Last edited by P-Bass; 03-21-2016 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #13
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpool View Post
SShould I give it 1200 miles before thrashing it about?
So... you are judging your new car without really driving it hard yet?

It is quite possible you'll like your E92 better OP, but at least give your new car a fair shot and hammer it hard before judging it
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 06:25 PM   #14
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Think you're jumping the gun here, you've had it a day.

Also I got the feeling you're equating steering weight to feel..which is not correct. I could be wrong but that's how I understood it. E9x to any mode F3x will seem very light. The feel or lack there of will be noticed in more spirited driving.

That being said if you're going to make the jump to an F3x chassis, you should have gone with the updated 340. Some feel definitely came back but every other steering characteristic of the electric steering is better.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 06:29 PM   #15
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ji99lypuff View Post
Ive never owned an e90 or e92 but i agree that these newer generation 3 series has lost its feel and connectedness to the road. Its just how car companies are moving forward from now on and i dont think bmw are going back to old hydraulic steering racks. I had a 2003 g35 that had some of that soul and feeling that you are talking about and i did immediatey notice the dofference when i bought my f30 in 2013.
Do you have a square setup of low rolling resistance all season tires on your xDrive? I'm gonna guess yes. Do you have the adaptive suspension on your xDrive? I'm gonna guess no.

I've driven a 2003 G35. It turned out not to be the 3er killer many speculated it might be.

I'm sorry, gotta disagree; the sport package F30 320i has more soul and feeling than any G ever had. I'm a former '96 G20 owner.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #16
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, it's loaded, DHP. First and last x-drive for me. A good set of snows, which I also have used on this car, are all I need. Before the DINAN springs, bump stops and shockware, I was not happy. Yes I test drove it, but it was an auto and the car didn't wallow as much between gears as the manual, the nose actually bounced up and down between gears. The Dinan mods really woke it up. The engine, as always, is fantastic. It just isn't as eager to play as the 2011 E90 was. I thought about a M235, and was seriously considering one. As soon as I heard about the M2 I said why not? More of what the M235 is, which is an excellent car. I haven't driven a 340 yet, and from what I've read, it is an excellent car, so I will reserve judgement.
How well do you think adaptive suspension and shockware would satisfy most buyers? I've heard very good things about it. Probably from you! How much was the shockware?

Quote:
LOL, you're old? I'm 53, still love to drive, I actually look forward to driving.
Me, too! I'm pretty sure I'll be driving a 3er or 4er when I'm 95! Maybe a 2er Gran Coupe if they'll give us one. Hoping.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 07:00 PM   #17
P-Bass
The Ox
Rep

Quote:
How well do you think adaptive suspension and shockware would satisfy most buyers? I've heard very good things about it. Probably from you! How much was the shockware?

Me, too! I'm pretty sure I'll be driving a 3er or 4er when I'm 95! Maybe a 2er Gran Coupe if they'll give us one. Hoping.
I installed the Shockware at least 2 years ago ( I got it as soon as it came out so whenever that was), I think it was just below $500 installed (1/2 hour labor), I honestly don't remember. And yes, that plus the springs and bump stops should satisfy most people, Dinan really has BMWs dialed in. The steering feel is immediate, not as much slop, tighter. While that does not translate into road feel, it helps. I think it actually rides better, better damped, and looks much better. A very good friend who has a 2005 911 (bought new) and who has spent a lot of seat time in my cars over the years, noticed it immediately and loved it. He said the car was "fixed", I agree.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #18
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Did you have the shockware any time before the springs and bump stops? If just the shockware could produce noticeable improvement for xDrive I think that could make the adaptive suspension even more enticing.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #19
P-Bass
The Ox
Rep

Quote:
Did you have the shockware any time before the springs and bump stops? If just the shockware could produce noticeable improvement for xDrive I think that could make the adaptive suspension even more enticing.
Yes. I had it solo for quite a while and it's great on it's own. I highly recommend it, best $500 you can spend on your car. The only reason I had it so long w/out the springs is the 1st time I put the springs on they failed (my dealer and Dinan worked it out, no charge to me). They didn't seat right on the right side, made horrible creaking, rubbing noises. I had them removed, waited a couple of months and tried again, 2nd time was the charm. There's a long thread on here, Dinan fail? It happened to a couple of other people, again, Dinan and my dealer were great, did the right thing, no hassles.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 08:09 PM   #20
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Bass
Quote:

I installed the Shockware at least 2 years ago ( I got it as soon as it came out so whenever that was), I think it was just below $500 installed (1/2 hour labor), I honestly don't remember. And yes, that plus the springs and bump stops should satisfy most people, Dinan really has BMWs dialed in. The steering feel is immediate, not as much slop, tighter. While that does not translate into road feel, it helps. I think it actually rides better, better damped, and looks much better. A very good friend who has a 2005 911 (bought new) and who has spent a lot of seat time in my cars over the years, noticed it immediately and loved it. He said the car was "fixed", I agree.
I thought Dinan (or anyone) couldn't modify the EPS, or are you saying the suspension modifications impacted the steering response?

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #21
P-Bass
The Ox
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
I thought Dinan (or anyone) couldn't modify the EPS, or are you saying the suspension modifications impacted the steering response?
Not the suspension mods, Shockware. It's a download that stiffens up steering and suspension, EPS, in each mode, so Comfort is now closer to Sport etc. That alone was noticable. Couple it with the new springs and bump stops and the car really transforms, no hyperbole, much more composed. Check out the link below.

http://www.dinancars.com/product/d90...ries&mid=1205/
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:33 PM   #22
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

If it is of any consolations, You are not alone in the switch...
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1237395
Appreciate 0