BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

BPM

03-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
JuniorDee
Captain
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Test drove the M3 today

I just drove the IB m3 at passport. Put 1 mile on the car Now it has 5 miles on it . Tests are limited to 2 miles. Salesman said i was the first one to drive it, came back and the other salesmen were saying that they werent even allowed to drive it yet. I guess haveing you deposit down for 8 months at the dealership gets you something.

A very interesting drive. It felt like the power delivery was much different than my 335i, either way, it was nice.

My M3 has finished production and it should be here in 2-3 weeks
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
bills742
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C, '08 M3, '20 323Ci

FYI, Passport also has a Jerez black in their showroom. Price = $10,000 above MSRP, about $80,000.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
BCMPOWER
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Silverstone II M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills742 View Post
FYI, Passport also has a Jerez black in their showroom. Price = $10,000 above MSRP, about $80,000.
you would expect that the first allocations would be to customer cars and not public sale, unless they were selling their demo.
      03-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
Boost3dm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills742 View Post
Could you explain this a little more 10k above msrp?

Thank goodness most of us are getting msrp (those that are on the waitlist at least).
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
bills742
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C, '08 M3, '20 323Ci

10K higher than MSRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost3dm3 View Post
Could you explain this a little more 10k above msrp?

Thank goodness most of us are getting msrp (those that are on the waitlist at least).
I think the dealers call it "Adjusted Market Value" if you wanted to get the car in the showroom. From reading the board, most dealers are marking up the cars that were not pre-ordered and are currently available for purchase at their dealership. Very few (if any) are paying the markup if the car was pre-ordered by a customer. For those willing to pay extra and who don't mind what options come on the car, I guess they have a nice option of getting a car right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
MTrizzy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

I was at VOB Rockville this weekend..they had a Sedan and a Coupe for sale. Witnessed a guy pull in his F430 and purchase the sedan...I wouldn't be surprised if he paid 10k over MSRP... ;-)

Make me so glad I ordered mine (just went in to Production last week!)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrizzy View Post
I was at VOB Rockville this weekend..they had a Sedan and a Coupe for sale. Witnessed a guy pull in his F430 and purchase the sedan...I wouldn't be surprised if he paid 10k over MSRP... ;-)

Make me so glad I ordered mine (just went in to Production last week!)
F430 baller, M3 is probably his 12th car for Tuesday commutes.
      03-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
Boost3dm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

im just saying how could passport do this. I was assured by one of the head honchos at passport when i put down my deposit last year that they always sell at msrp. guess it was the salesman in him and not quite the truth.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
Blip Bavarian
salivator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 GT4, 14 X5 V8 & 91 E30 LS1

I got to drive the demo from my dealership this weekend. They let me take it out alone, which was hugely unexpected. I have to agree that the power delivery feels much different than that of my 335. The 335 feels faster around town because of all of the low end torque, however, once you get the m3 above 5000rpms, it screams.

The clutch pedal in the m3 is extremely light; I was expecting it to be heavier than my 335's, and it is far lighter.

Another one of my main concerns with the m3 was answered. I was highly sceptical about the servotronic steering being less enjoyable than the steering in my 335. It is very light in normal mode, but feels nice and hefty in sport mode. Just seeing the car in person was amazing.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
JuniorDee
Captain
Rep

I too had the same impression that my 335i felt faster around town with far less anouncement that I was coming.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
Boost3dm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Did you guys have heads turning when you passed by?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #12
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
... I started the engine today at Fairfax BMW and I thought it was hot! but did some one say he test drove at Passport
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #13
BCMPOWER
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Silverstone II M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blip Bavarian View Post
I got to drive the demo from my dealership this weekend. They let me take it out alone, which was hugely unexpected. I have to agree that the power delivery feels much different than that of my 335. The 335 feels faster around town because of all of the low end torque, however, once you get the m3 above 5000rpms, it screams.

The clutch pedal in the m3 is extremely light; I was expecting it to be heavier than my 335's, and it is far lighter.

Another one of my main concerns with the m3 was answered. I was highly sceptical about the servotronic steering being less enjoyable than the steering in my 335. It is very light in normal mode, but feels nice and hefty in sport mode. Just seeing the car in person was amazing.
You were allowed to get the car past 5000 rpm! wow my dealer had to ask the gm to start the car for me, and it was only they had in the showroom so I couldn't drive it.
      03-14-2008, 09:07 AM   #14
JuniorDee
Captain
Rep

Passport has 2 vehicles the Jerez in the showroom and the IB on the roof.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #15
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
i almost test drove an M3 last night, but when he got the keys out for the test drive his manager came and announced it's in the process of being sold. sure enough, 20 min's later it was picked up by some gentleman.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #16
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yesterday I was surprised to be able to test drive the new 2008 M3 Coupe with manual transmission over at Passport BMW. Having first look at the car at Sterling and then able to start its engine at Fairfax BMW and now THIS !

Wow! What a Country! Truly the land of opportunity, I’m sure these CAs knows that such favors given also has opportunities in return. But I really didn’t think such, because most of us are friends of Passport, and I was treated no differently. There was no pressure except the pressure I put on myself. BK ! a sedan wasn’t available for the test, so I hope this coupe test drive will answer some of your curiosity.

Initial Impression:

Yves Badji the CA drove the car from the rooftop to the lower lot because of insurance purposes. My biggest dissapointment, as I’ve said earlier, was that there was not special interior attributes compare to earlier e46/39 M platforms. There was no special bulkiness of the door and seats, the shift M knobs doesn’t lite up and no special gauges readily distinguishable that’s you’re in a /M.

Bland! You’re inside a regular e92, or 90 for the matter. I’ve even stalled the engine on the parking lot trying to move, since I’m so accustomed to the e46 heavy clutch pedal release. The new M foot pedals are feather weights, as I slowly try to get use to it driving it slowly out from the dealer lot. But, I had a smile, because I had to savor every moment as I slowly open the cookie jar J Vroom! Vroom! roommmmm! roommmmm as I stop at the light twds the beltway.

Red! Yellow! Go!

There was no mid-speed in mind for now on, a slam from first to second as soon as I could. as I maneuver the car to the ON ramp. Unknowingly driving with DSC disabled, the pushed car to third gear, while increasing its speed towards the curve apex. Solid! a slight downshift into second was smooth while maneuvering/preparing for the 495 traffic merge. SLAM! into third, in a flash of the eye I was going (1*#)mph + and every car on the rear mirror was disappearing like vanishing point. Yes! Kowalski is alive and on the passing lane in 3.5secs. Well! whatever is was, it was a split seconds it seems.

It was Rock solid pushing this weapon, while you savor the sight of the front hood whale hump. The split-secs responsive acceleration, the view of its elevated front hood and the sight of cars disappearing on the mirror was the only time I knew I was driving a time bomb. <grin>

Personal notes:

I am also never an especially aggressive driver, and I was careful on this drive. The car was stable, even during cornering ramps as it simply tells me I’m the new M3, I’m an awesome car to drive and forget the loyalty to the e46 that you left behind.

One of car most charming and adorable traits is its sound. It’s a sexy, subtle but not over powering growl. You punch it, and its like a battered wife asking for more. You feel devious and evil as you know you’re about to do something bad. Your head can jerk as much as Ashley Alexandra Du’pre as you apply more. Be cautious for your heart rate can climb fast into anaerobic rate as it tops tachs gauge lactic threshold. ”Wow! Was is as good with you as it was for me” asked the new M3.

To me its truly a sports car, it acts like one and feels like one. There was no momentary lag unlike its rival TT siblings. I’ve driven both and like them both. But this car to me feels has the soul that the other is lacking. When your foot drops ... all your reservation and comparison to all 3 series are dead. I agree with another comment that the new M3 delivered a deep body blow of power … freaking great!

Clearly, expectation and feel of 4.2 liter V8 is simply much more different and fully satisfying. Its worth will only be gauge by pocketbooks, testerones and egos. Now I feel that I’ve cheated my e46 the lust once promised.

At the end of the test drive, my head was spinning, adrenaline rush, expecting the everyone I see are in the same euphoric state as I was when I talk. Excusee me ! and How can they? When a M3 test drive is limited to a few.

I'm calm now :angel:

Tech Notes:

! DSC off and Pwr buttons stds, EDC button opt w/ ZTP
!! BMW AG results 4.7 secs. Pls obey speed laws and traffic rules
!!! M Drive optional, ZTP, personalize you driving feel
!!!! DSC delivers ptimal traction but with M Drive
!!!! DSC can also be set to track-oriented M Dynamic Mode (MDM) – more yaw angle and wheel slips
!!!!! EDC Electronic Damping Control – set to comfy, sport, normal ride
Attached Images

Last edited by ase2dais; 03-17-2008 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #17
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
thks for the headsup JuniorDee, I got my time in under the belt today w/ Yves@Passport BMW

UNFREAKING BELIEVABLE DRIVE

... future owners may need a special license to drive this deadly weapon
Attached Images

Last edited by ase2dais; 03-17-2008 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #18
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
M coupe configurator is back UP btw

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ModelCode=0837

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 10:38 AM   #19
JuniorDee
Captain
Rep

Glad to hear you got to drive it. I only took a left out of the dealership and went past the branch Ave metro around the roundabout then back to the dealership on both tests. Never got it past 60 or over 5000 rpm's. I could not really get a good gauge for the car in the whole mile I drove it, but i sounds like you did.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2008, 12:44 PM   #20
MTrizzy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
You punch it, and its like a battered wife asking for more. You feel devious and evil as you know you’re about to do something bad.
...classic line...simply classic.

AW E92 M3|E92 LuX|Piaa GTX H3| Rear Fog Light Mod | Ventureshield (Raja)
|Eisenmann Race Exhaust |Macht Schnell Filter | Black Grills | Black Sides | H&R Springs | Fabspeed X-Pipe & High Flow Cats| CF VRS II rep diffuser|Most powerful Scoops in the world|
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #21
Boost3dm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Initial Impression:

Yves Badji the CA drove the car from the rooftop to the lower lot because of insurance purposes. My biggest dissapointment, as I’ve said earlier, was that there was not special interior attributes compare to earlier e46/39 M platforms. There was no special bulkiness of the door and seats, the shift M knobs doesn’t lite up and no special gauges readily distinguishable that’s you’re in a /M.
I thought the shift knob does light up according to interior night shots ive seen.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94552
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #22
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

Quote:
Yesterday I was surprised to be able to test drive the new 2008 M3 Coupe with manual transmission over at Passport BMW. Having first look at the car at Sterling and then able to start its engine at Fairfax BMW and now THIS !

Wow! What a Country! Truly the land of opportunity, I’m sure these CAs knows that such favors given also has opportunities in return. But I really didn’t think such, because most of us are friends of Passport, and I was treated no differently. There was no pressure except the pressure I put on myself. BK ! a sedan wasn’t available for the test, so I hope this coupe test drive will answer some of your curiosity.

Initial Impression:

Bland! You’re inside a regular e92, or 90 for the matter. I’ve even stalled the engine on the parking lot trying to move, since I’m so accustomed to the e46 heavy clutch pedal release. The new M foot pedals are feather weights, as I slowly try to get use to it driving it slowly out from the dealer lot. But, I had a smile, because I had to savor every moment as I slowly open the cookie jar J Vroom! Vroom! roommmmm! roommmmm as I stop at the light twds the beltway.

Red! Yellow! Go!

There was no mid-speed in mind for now on, a slam from first to second as soon as I could. as I maneuver the car to the ON ramp. Unknowingly driving with DSC disabled, the pushed car to third gear, while increasing its speed towards the curve apex. Solid! a slight downshift into second was smooth while maneuvering/preparing for the 495 traffic merge. SLAM! into third, in a flash of the eye I was going (1*#)mph + and every car on the rear mirror was disappearing like vanishing point. Yes! Kowalski is alive and on the passing lane in 3.5secs. Well! whatever is was, it was a split seconds it seems.

It was Rock solid pushing this weapon, while you savor the sight of the front hood whale hump. The split-secs responsive acceleration, the view of its elevated front hood and the sight of cars disappearing on the mirror was the only time I knew I was driving a time bomb. <grin>

Personal notes:

I am also never an especially aggressive driver, and I was careful on this drive. The car was stable, even during cornering ramps as it simply tells me I’m the new M3, I’m an awesome car to drive and forget the loyalty to the e46 that you left behind.

One of car most charming and adorable traits is its sound. It’s a sexy, subtle but not over powering growl. You punch it, and its like a battered wife asking for more. You feel devious and evil as you know you’re about to do something bad. Your head can jerk as much as Ashley Alexandra Du’pre as you apply more. Be cautious for your heart rate can climb fast into anaerobic rate as it tops tachs gauge lactic threshold. ”Wow! Was is as good with you as it was for me” asked the new M3.

To me its truly a sports car, it acts like one and feels like one. There was no momentary lag unlike its rival TT siblings. I’ve driven both and like them both. But this car to me feels has the soul that the other is lacking. When your foot drops ... all your reservation and comparison to all 3 series are dead. I agree with another comment that the new M3 delivered a deep body blow of power … freaking great!

Clearly, expectation and feel of 4.2 liter V8 is simply much more different and fully satisfying. Its worth will only be gauge by pocketbooks, testerones and egos. Now I feel that I’ve cheated my e46 the lust once promised.

At the end of the test drive, my head was spinning, adrenaline rush, expecting the everyone I see are in the same euphoric state as I was when I talk. Excusee me ! and How can they? When a M3 test drive is limited to a few.

I'm calm now :angel:

Tech Notes:

! DSC off and Pwr buttons stds, EDC button opt w/ ZTP
!! BMW AG results 4.7 secs. Pls obey speed laws and traffic rules
!!! M Drive optional, ZTP, personalize you driving feel
!!!! DSC delivers ptimal traction but with M Drive
!!!! DSC can also be set to track-oriented M Dynamic Mode (MDM) – more yaw angle and wheel slips
!!!!! EDC Electronic Damping Control – set to comfy, sport, normal ride
Awesome review...I enjoyed reading every word of it.

This post was deserving of it's own thread.

Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0