THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Is there a consensus on Dinan springs?

03-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
MyM235i
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Is there a consensus on Dinan springs?

I have looked at quite a few threads.
It appears that they do not cause issue with the factory struts.
Can owners chime in with results? Happy? Do you track at all with them?
It would be nice to have one thread with current results.
The only negative I have seen is cost for the bump stops.
Has anyone tried vogtland springs?
Cheers
Appreciate 2
      03-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

I have Dinan springs, bump stops and the Shockware mod (not available for the 235i) on my 228i M-Sport. I do not track my car but I will push it on the street when safe. No problem with struts. I do not resent the cost of the bump stops. These suspension mods are the best mods I've done, tune included. The drop is perfect to my eye and, more importantly, the handling and driving dynamics are a huge improvement over stock. It dials out the understeer, enabling me to stay on the gas longer and with more confidence in sweeping corners where in stock form the car really pushes. I can feel so much more power being put down on the road rather than dissipate in soft springs and the car no longer dives on heavy braking, leans under committed acceleration or rolls when cornering. The way these springs handle lateral and longitudinal forces is really impressive; there's just no wallow left in the car in any axis and the handling just feels dialed-in; it goes exactly where I point it now, quickly and with no wasted momentum. Comfort mode feels pretty tight compared with stock but it's in Sport and Sport + that you will really notice the difference; the ride and handling are really tight and sharp but still civilised; there is nothing harsh about it and it remains refined.

Personally, I think it would be foolish to exclude the bump stops on the basis of what Dinan is charging for them. If you go for a Dinan suspension mod, it would be a false economy to opt out of the benefits of an integrated package involving individual elements that they test extensively and which are designed to work well together.

If I tracked the car and it was out of warranty, I would investigate more radical suspension mods like coilovers, etc., but the Dinan springs and bumps really hit the sweet spot for me in street driving and, as much as the tune, they bring out the aggression in the car that is subdued in factory trim.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 2
BM235iW97.00
      03-29-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I have heard nothing but good things with the Dinan Springs.

That being said, do not fool yourself over what these springs will/wont achieve for your car. The fact of the matter is that you will be putting mismatched springs on your EDC dampers. Will they still work? Sure. Will they reduce your strut life? Probably. Will they make your car handle like a LMP1 car? No.

Frankly, the results BarryJI had with them are probably more due to the Shockware than the spring hardware (could be wrong about this, but that's my guess -- I really, really wish Dinan could crack the suspension ECU on the M235i/M3/M4, which all use the same module/coding). Shocks and springs do affect body roll, but the more appropriate suspension upgrade for body control is/are sway bars, which are very cost prohibitive for the install.

That being said, if you want a safe drop with minimal negative effect on handling and shock/strut life, the general consensus (I think) is to get the Dinan Springs with the shortened bump-stops, whether you get them from Dinan directly, or from some third party.
      03-29-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
MyM235i
Private
Rep

I appreciate the synergy between shocks and springs. At 10% stiffer it's a 10% greater ask of the shock to control it. If the results have been positive and the life of the shock is only reduced by 10% that's manageable. If it's too great a chore for the shock to control the spring then it's not worth it. My expectations are reasonable as I expect handling will only be slightly improved. As long as it's an improvement I'm happy.
I am curious as to why the larger drop in the rear compared to other spring solutions?
Thanks for the feedback keep it coming.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

What larger drop are you referring to? Dinan drop for my 228 was half an inch at both ends.

I think you can reasonably expect a very significant handling improvement, not so much because the Dinan kit is so good (although it is pretty damn good, for the street anyway) but because there is so much understeer, roll and general softness built into these cars, which, for most people, represent luxury more than performance. Being able to dial out all of that gives you the handling of a true sports coupe vs. a luxury coupe and is well worth doing by any available means.

DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #6
MyM235i
Private
Rep

For the 235 the dinan spring kit is .5" drop in the front and 1" rear. Unless I'm missing something?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 08:54 PM   #7
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM235i
For the 235 the dinan spring kit is .5" drop in the front and 1" rear. Unless I'm missing something?
I'm installing this weekend, I'll take pics before and after of the drop. I'm expecting the 1/2in front and 1 inch back... That's what they claim the drop is for the m235i at least
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #8
omega145
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 Xdrive

For those concerned with price on the bumpstop kit, theres a cheaper option than ordering them directly through Dinan: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1237935
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #9
Shashkastorm
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F22 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
I think you can reasonably expect a very significant handling improvement, not so much because the Dinan kit is so good (although it is pretty damn good, for the street anyway) but because there is so much understeer, roll and general softness built into these cars, which, for most people, represent luxury more than performance. Being able to dial out all of that gives you the handling of a true sports coupe vs. a luxury coupe and is well worth doing by any available means.
That point right there sums it up best in my opinion. I've only had the Dinan Springs and Bump Stops installed for a few weeks so far (just under 1K miles driven on the kit) but I've got nothing but POSITIVE feedback for the Dinan setup on my F22 228i.

To me: On the Stock setup, overall ride quality for both the Comfort and Sport Chassis settings were nice and comfortable, but body roll was very noticeable when turning at any level of speed, which was dialed back a bit on Sport. The ride quality on Comfort with the Dinan kit (no software) is STILL just as comfortable, but that comfort now extends to cornering as well, in the form of much improved handling, (even over Sport on stock springs). I also don't feel that much of a difference in ride quality between the Chassis setting (leaving the Drivetrain setting the same), which is fine because again they are both great. The biggest difference in the Sport Chassis is still the heavier steering wheel - which I love on the highways.

--Not to mention the drop looks absolutely perfect - to me it's how the car should've always sit, even at the base config level. That and the warranty sold me on the Dinan setup even with the slightly higher price point. I'll try to add some before and after photos for reference

Last edited by Shashkastorm; 04-02-2016 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #10
tenfour
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: at the speed limit

Can't wait to install my Dinan springs and supplemental kit. It's just sitting there waiting for install, but I'm waiting on new wheels. Would like to install the wheels and springs all at once.

Current: '15 F22 EB 228i | M Sport | 6MT | Dinan | Rotiform | 35% tint | CF side mirrors
Gone: '11 B8 A4 | '08 Infiniti G37 Coupe 6MT | '04 E46 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #11
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

Definitely glad that I went with the Dinans and supplemental kit. Ride is excellent, ride height is perfect IMO. Transforms the car handling wise. Handling characteristics as stated by others previously in this thread are spot on. I think if you get much lower you will sacrifice ride quality and more significantly decrease the life of the stock struts. If I were to do anything else other than Dinan springs I would go full coil over. I included some pics I took with my 6plus today for reference. 19" HRE's 235 30 ET40 and 255 30 ET44 PSS.

Appreciate 4
      04-03-2016, 10:18 AM   #12
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Looking good! Glad you agree that the handling benefits are great. This has been a transformative mod for me. By way of comparison, here is my 228i M-Sport after the springs/bump stops were installed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #13
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Looking good! Glad you agree that the handling benefits are great. This has been a transformative mod for me. By way of comparison, here is my 228i M-Sport after the springs/bump stops were installed.
That's a great photo.The best I've seen posted on this forum.The angle and the lighting (and the springs) almost make the car look a new model. Good job!
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #14
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeterson
Quote:
That's a great photo.The best I've seen posted on this forum.The angle and the lighting (and the springs) almost make the car look a new model. Good job!
Thanks! I call it the Michael Mann photograph, as it was taken in downtown Los Angeles at dawn and is suffused in blue light like his movies ("Heat", "Collateral"). I like the Dinan drop (1/2" f/r) and am still agonizing about whether or not to get spacers to fill out the wheel wells and give the car a slightly more assertive stance. But, as I said, the biggest benefit of these springs is not the drop but the way the power is put down on the road. The car is much quicker.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #15
josem235i
Private
Rep
Drives: E36/F80 M3

This picture is when I had the Dinan springs on the car, IMO they gave the car a nice little drop and the car felt a little bit better. Hope this helps
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #16
BLACKSNOMO
Rep
Drives: 228 xdrive track pac

are those wheels forgestars?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #17
MyM235i
Private
Rep

Looks great guys!
I'm thinking for aggressive street driving. Dinan springs and camber plates would be the ideal. Slight drop and more even tire wear. The added camber in the front would balance out the 0.5' to 1' drop split as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #18
Shashkastorm
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F22 228i

Awesome photos all! Here's my before and after photos as promised on an otherwise stock 2016 F22 228i (Non-M-Sport). The wheels are 17" Style 380 on the stock RFTs (sorry for the pollen / shadows - spring in Georgia is brutal!!):

Before:

After Dinan Springs & Bump Stops:

Like others have mentioned - the drop is by no means aggressive but the improved handling is much appreciated without sacrificing ride quality!
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #19
H3G0N3_F22
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpoomanchu View Post
Definitely glad that I went with the Dinans and supplemental kit. Ride is excellent, ride height is perfect IMO. Transforms the car handling wise. Handling characteristics as stated by others previously in this thread are spot on. I think if you get much lower you will sacrifice ride quality and more significantly decrease the life of the stock struts. If I were to do anything else other than Dinan springs I would go full coil over. I included some pics I took with my 6plus today for reference. 19" HRE's 235 30 ET40 and 255 30 ET44 PSS.

I am assuming you have adaptive suspension. Can you give your opinion of all three Modes (Comfort, Sport and Sport+) as far as ride quality goes. Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #20
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dspeed23 View Post
I am assuming you have adaptive suspension. Can you give your opinion of all three Modes (Comfort, Sport and Sport+) as far as ride quality goes. Thanks...
DISCLAIMER: Please understand that at the same time I changed out my stock springs with Dinan springs and supplemental ride kit. I also went to a 19" wheel.

Yes I do have adaptive suspension. Comfort feels a little bit more stiff than stock but seems like it reduces a good amount of body roll. Haven't noticed any bouncing. Sport feels connected and much more compliant with the heavier steering. It just tightens up and wants to be driven hard. TBH I haven't used Sport + because I recently added a JB4 and haven't had the balls yet it's been a lil chilly here in Ohio so isn't hooking up really well. IMO this car in stock form was just a touch too supple and the benefits of these springs far outweighs the rather minor impact on comfort.
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #21
MyM235i
Private
Rep

Do you feel just the drop added enough negative camber? Or are plates a good idea in addition to the drop?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #22
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM235i View Post
Do you feel just the drop added enough negative camber? Or are plates a good idea in addition to the drop?
The front of our cars are equipped with Earl MacPherson's eloquently designed strut. Unfortunately, handling was not one of his design goals. As a MacPherson strut is compressed the camber becomes more positive!!!!! This is why our cars have neutral handling until you begin to compress the outside suspension bits too much and bingo, you are plowing the road with the front end like Old MacPherson's farm tractor. So, lowering our cars will actually will decrease the camber while cornering hard, thus requiring the camber plates to set it back again or set it wayyyyy into negative territory to keep it somewhat negative during cornering.

Here is my much better explanation (with animations!) from the 1 forum.
Appreciate 6
nikman011174.50