F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How did you guys trade in your e90s for F30?!!!
proTUNING Freaks

04-04-2016, 05:58 AM   #1
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

How did you guys trade in your e90s for F30?!!!

So, im nuts when it comes to my cars- The longest i owned a car before the purchase of my 2011 335 in August 2015 was my accord for 15 years- before that cars were like a revolving door (american muscle cars mustangs/ Transams, etc)

So my 2011 335 xdrive msport is literally perfect, brand new with 9K miles only- but for some reason i still look at the F30s..

I just like the newer looking interior mostly too. I called a few dealers and went over rough numbers- they basically want to destroy me on a trade- offering me only $24K.

I guess what im getting at, is do you think the trade in numbers improve if you go to a dealer, and sit down and do numbers on a deal, and they are just giving email estimates now?

If thats the case ill just wait and sell it privately for at least 4K more. Car has 15K miles now- loaded except for convenience package
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 06:24 AM   #2
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herakles View Post
So, im nuts when it comes to my cars- The longest i owned a car before the purchase of my 2011 335 in August 2015 was my accord for 15 years- before that cars were like a revolving door (american muscle cars mustangs/ Transams, etc)

So my 2011 335 xdrive msport is literally perfect, brand new with 9K miles only- but for some reason i still look at the F30s..

I just like the newer looking interior mostly too. I called a few dealers and went over rough numbers- they basically want to destroy me on a trade- offering me only $24K.

I guess what im getting at, is do you think the trade in numbers improve if you go to a dealer, and sit down and do numbers on a deal, and they are just giving email estimates now?

If thats the case ill just wait and sell it privately for at least 4K more. Car has 15K miles now- loaded except for convenience package
i have a figure in mind before I go to the dealerships, never a ridiculous figure, and its a number Ive spent many hours researching.

This means zero fucks given what they offer, the only number that matters is the difference you pay, so if they're offering pittens for your car, haggle hard on theirs until you're happy, if not, walk away.
      04-04-2016, 06:42 AM   #3
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Providing your 335's cosmetical condition matches your low mileage, there's NO WAY I trade unless they give me full retail (less 3 or 4 hundred for taxable difference) for mine and wholesale (less incentives) for theirs. You'd have NO problems selling privately...you'd just lose the tax benefit.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 07:35 AM   #4
rambalu80
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Sold it to a local used car dealership after getting quotes from Carmax and Texas Auto Direct. Was able to get 33% more than the Carmax offer.
I didn't even consider taking it to any of the local BMW dealerships and I did not consider trading in either because I was picking up my F30 out of town.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #5
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:

I'm not sure if you're the first or second owner on your car, but generally speaking, the value of a car depreciates for each owner that it has - and this is moreso for the first owner. That's why we have the saying that "the value immediately depreciates a ton the moment a new car is driven off the lot". Don't expect to be getting anywhere near the price you purchased it for, unfortunately.

Last edited by Versipellis; 04-05-2016 at 02:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #6
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versipellis View Post
I'm not sure if you're the first or second owner on your car, but generally speaking, the value of a car depreciates for each owner that it has - and this is moreso for the first owner. That's why we have the saying that "the value immediately depreciates a ton the moment a new car is driven off the lot". Don't expect to be getting anywhere near the price you purchased it for, unfortunately.
usually always the first owner, my point was that as long as you know what the market value of your car is as well as the dealers, you'll never have trouble walking away. they offer you less, you offer less, if it doesnt work out, but dont deviate from the number you had in mind.

getting alot on your old car doesnt mean squat if youre paying retail for theirs
      04-04-2016, 07:24 PM   #7
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versipellis View Post

Every "used/titled" vehicle (except Collectibles and Exotic/Super Exotic) depreciate every 30 days regardless whether it's own or not (can sit on dealers lot, will still depreciate)

All "New/MSO'd" vehicles (with the exception of Exotic/Super Exotic) will depreciate 20-50% once the front tires hit the street. Depreciation on "New" cars can normally be determined on how many each Manufacture has in Fleet service. If a auction has an abundance of Rental/Lease returns, the market will drop accordingly.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 02:03 AM   #8
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ00 View Post
usually always the first owner, my point was that as long as you know what the market value of your car is as well as the dealers, you'll never have trouble walking away. they offer you less, you offer less, if it doesnt work out, but dont deviate from the number you had in mind.

getting alot on your old car doesnt mean squat if youre paying retail for theirs
I actually meant to quote OP, not you, sorry! Edited my original post
      04-05-2016, 09:09 AM   #9
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
OP - I sold my 2007 E92 335i with full Dinan 3 treatment to a private party - I got $23.5K versus the $19K trade-in offer). The dealer is looking to give you wholesale value to make a profit on reselling your car as well as making a profit on the one you're buying. With a car like yours, it will be difficult to get its full value on a trade-in, so you should investigate selling to someone else - not another car dealership, though - they'll all want to start with wholesale pricing.

That said, KBB.com says your car is worth between $23K - $25K on a trade-in for "Excellent" condition. Private party sale would get you $26K. Considering how much extra you'd pay in state sales tax (based on the entire sale price of the new car) if you buy without a trade, you're probably better off taking their $24K offer and not having to hassle with the whole private sale thing. You'll have to pay an extra $1500 in tax without your $24K trade allowance (figuring 6.25% of that amount). So unless you could make more than a $1500 difference, in your case, a trade might be better and a lot less effort on your part.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I traded in my F30 for an E92

Ended up losing 5k from the F30 price, should have sold it individually but was pressed on time

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #11
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:

24K for a 5 year old vehicle is not bad. I got 24K for an almost fully loaded one 2 years ago with 50,000 miles.

Here's what you do. Go to KBB. Find out what the estimated private sale price is, and what KBB says the dealer will offer you.

Then go to galves.com and sign up for a week or a month. Then put in your vehicle info and plug in "fair" condition (most dealerships won't give anyone higher than this).

Accept some $$$ from the dealer that is in-between galves and KBB trade in. That should be what you expect.

Obviously, always ask for more. But use that guide to figure out where you will end up.

Or you can just sell the car yourself.
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2016, 08:48 PM   #12
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

Thanks guys

We will see.. Found a 2013 335 msport with power package , hk , and adaptive handling... Pretty much all I want minis the awd

I love my car if I don't get a buyer I'll just forget it

They are so rough (dealers) they want to mug u on trade them they say "I'm in on this car for a lot and be licky if I make 1000 bucks"

Of brother
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 09:50 PM   #13
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
So my 2011 335 xdrive msport is literally perfect, brand new with 9K miles only- but for some reason i still look at the F30s...
Your '11 has only 15k miles on it? That's like Ferrari level of deprivation; do you have three other daily drivers or something?

Anyway, I never sell/trade-in to dealers; they always low-ball. (Which is sensible, of course, given that they're taking the risk in marketing and warrantying the vehicle and finding a buyer.)

I brought my last car, a loaded '09 Infiniti G37xS, to an Infiniti dealership. The car had been in a minor fender-bender a few years back, but it was enough of a CARFAX demerit that they offered $9,500 for. Across the street, CarMax followed a similar approach, though slightly better, at $10,500. I listed it on CL, and got a few serious inquirers within 3-4 days. I ended up selling to the first one, for $15,500, 63% higher than the dealer's offer! And he still got a good deal, since similar vehicles are listed for closer to $18-20k at the dealer/CM. Win-win.
      04-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #14
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

Quote:
Thanks guys

We will see.. Found a 2013 335 msport with power package , hk , and adaptive handling... Pretty much all I want minis the awd

I love my car if I don't get a buyer I'll just forget it

They are so rough (dealers) they want to mug u on trade them they say "I'm in on this car for a lot and be licky if I make 1000 bucks"

Of brother
Be sure you take a lengthy drive in the specific car, the F30 has the electronic steering, the xDrive is very soft (even the m-sport) unless it has the DHP (Dynamic Handling Package), plus a 2013 model does not have the upgraded LCI version suspension. Just an FYI because you are coming form an E9x!

That being said, negotiate the price and terms of the new car you want. THEN negotiate the trade in, put the price you want on the table, be willing to walk away, you have a low mileage E9x, would the dealer put it on their lot? See what the retail price is! Good luck!

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)
Appreciate 0