E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Slight steering wheel play when turn quick right to left?

04-04-2016, 06:43 AM   #1
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

Slight steering wheel play when turn quick right to left?

Im debating if this is worth taking to the dealership for; my car is still under warranty- but im not sure if this is normal-

I noticed this from the first day i got it, but if you are just sitting there parked, and turn the wheel a inch to left and right in the middle of the turn you feel like its kind of loose where it doesnt turn the wheels for a second - hard to explain, but its a notchy like feeling? it happens when the wheel is at dead center and you wiggle it right to left?

Anyone ever hear of this?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herakles
Im debating if this is worth taking to the dealership for; my car is still under warranty- but im not sure if this is normal-

I noticed this from the first day i got it, but if you are just sitting there parked, and turn the wheel a inch to left and right in the middle of the turn you feel like its kind of loose where it doesnt turn the wheels for a second - hard to explain, but its a notchy like feeling? it happens when the wheel is at dead center and you wiggle it right to left?

If it's under warranty take it to the dealership.

Control arms bushings, strut bearings could be bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #3
miker2013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 6mt Msport coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herakles View Post

i have inquired about this on the forum and at the dealership, i have a 2013 and it does same... mine happened since newish, i don't think its worn bushings

i dont think mine is an inch but its there... it has zero effect while driving but i still don't like it... i mentioned it to dealer got no response

i have heard there are a couple bolts and or a u joint on the cars that can get a bit of play

i would also like to figure this out
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #4
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Does your car have Active Steering by any chance?

If you have Active Steering, then any lash in the gears of AS planetary differential will manifest as play in the steering wheel, even if everything else is tight.

Last edited by AndreyT; 04-04-2016 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #5
twinboost_MD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

you could have a dead strut. fairly common if you raped a pothole. try lifting on the fender and see if its easier to lift one side vs the other. mileage would be helpful
Appreciate 0