E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What would you do if you overfilled your crankcase?

04-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

What would you do if you overfilled your crankcase?

a) drain the extra out
b) drive hard, until all the blue smoke goes away
c) add more oil, because the motor only likes to have multiples of the correct amount?

My choice is a.

I did something really dumb on my other car and added a quart for no good reason, and so I was out there at 23:15 EST last night with my COB led worklight draining a qt. of oil out

I don't think 1 qt. necessarily blows out your rear main, or front main, etc., or even froths up, but it was a peace of mind deal....what a moron..lol
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Had an 07 328xi and the oil level sensor failed. Kept telling me it needed oil, even when I knew it didn't.

Never overfilled it myself, but read horror stories at the time about people who just kept adding whenever it told them to........

Still think these cars should have old fashioned low tech dipsticks. Not everything needs to be computerized.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #3
andas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: multipla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
Had an 07 328xi and the oil level sensor failed. Kept telling me it needed oil, even when I knew it didn't.

Never overfilled it myself, but read horror stories at the time about people who just kept adding whenever it told them to........

Still think these cars should have old fashioned low tech dipsticks. Not everything needs to be computerized.
Oh fu** can this be my problem? Add oil message was comming up every 500 miles, i kept adding. Now after 100 i checked the level and it aays to add 1 more.. Can the sensor be bad? What are the symptoms of bad oil sensor? Will it still diaplay oil level but wrong one?

This electronic dipstick is bullshit
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #4
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andas View Post
Add oil message was comming up every 500 miles, i kept adding. Now after 100 i checked the level and it aays to add 1 more.. Can the sensor be bad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by andas View Post
What are the symptoms of bad oil sensor?
Answered your own question bro..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #5
andas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: multipla

So its probably the sensor and not the engine burning it? Because that amount would mean its basically flowing oil in there? Should I tell the mechanic that I think its the sensor or will he will find the reason?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

good luck getting it checked. imho one way to know for sure, say you do your oil change and put just over 6.5 qts in, and the electronic dipstick shows down a qt., you know the sensor is wrong.

My scenario, I removed my wheel to spray PB Blaster at the brake hose fitting. Decide to check the oil while the car is jacked up...holy sh** it's down a quart! Fill it up. Then start thinking, whoa, that's probably because the RF of the vehicle is jacked up, not that it's really low. When I dropped it, yep, it's over max, by the distance of the H and L i.e. range. Stupid.

I was gonna leave it and then get this bright idea at 11 PM that I better drain a quart out
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #7
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

One extra probably won't hurt, but don't take my advise.
Had an E30 M3 where it was recommended to run +1.
Car suffered from oil starvation on hard rights.
Either get a baffled oil pan or run the extra quart.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

If I were a bettin' man, I'd say that ~1 quart over is right at the limit of what would be...."okay"....to live with in our ~7 quart oiling systems.

You'd probably see excessive oil consumption for a while as you have increased blow-by, but I'd think you wouldn't have main seal issues.

Of course, this is just a thought experiment; it's not MY car with the extra quart floating around in it.
      04-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #9
larrysing
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport, Nav/Blinds

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Reminds me of a story with a Geo Prizm I once owned. Had a coupon for an oil change at a place I had never used before. Took the car there about a half hour before closing time on Friday, and they changed the oil, and I paid and left. Driving away, I noticed a little hesitation and thought that was weird.... A few blocks later, I noticed EXTREME levels of white smoke coming from my car !! So I whipped back over there, and they were already closed - but luckily, two employees were sitting in the parking lot bullsh@tting. Told them my story, and turns out that TWO of them had added oil to the car !! It had almost 8 qts in there !! They drained it, refilled it, and the car was never the worse for wear.

But for OP, personally, for me, if this were my car, I'd drain the extra and get the level correct.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 09:14 PM   #10
twinboost_MD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

... maybe check for leaks..? drop the skid plate
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:27 AM   #11
b1mmr
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by andas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post

Oh fu** can this be my problem? Add oil message was comming up every 500 miles, i kept adding. Now after 100 i checked the level and it aays to add 1 more.. Can the sensor be bad? What are the symptoms of bad oil sensor? Will it still diaplay oil level but wrong one?

This electronic dipstick is bullshit
If you seriously suspect a bad sensor, try an oil change to confirm it
      04-05-2016, 07:55 AM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
If I were a bettin' man, I'd say that ~1 quart over is right at the limit of what would be...."okay"....to live with in our ~7 quart oiling systems.

You'd probably see excessive oil consumption for a while as you have increased blow-by, but I'd think you wouldn't have main seal issues.

Of course, this is just a thought experiment; it's not MY car with the extra quart floating around in it.
For me, I agree, we're pretty confident it would be ok--there has to be some tolerance of user error in the design.

But since many of us DIY a lot of things, imho the best course of action is to remove the excess, just makes a person feel dumb

a) wasting good oil
b) wasting labor on something like that

But there are worse things in life, and draining the oil out buys peace of mind...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 05:33 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

You can always just drain the oil into a clean pan, remeasure 7 quarts and pour the used oil back in the engine.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #14
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
You can always just drain the oil into a clean pan, remeasure 7 quarts and pour the used oil back in the engine.
True, I tried to do that with the coolant when I replaced my Nissan's radiator, because the system had just been flushed 5 mos. prior....but it got messy and I gave up....and now that pan is used for oil, meaning I only have 2 drain pans that are for used oil....
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 07:33 AM   #15
Boland01
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535ix, 2008, 2007 335i

Our 335i is doing the same thing. A new sensor is around $190.00 which is ridiculous. There are no oil leaks so it's either burning a ton of oil which I doubt since there is smoke coming out of the exhaust or it's the sensor.
This weekend I'm going to jack up the car and check to make sure the connection to the sensor on the oil pan hasn't come loose somehow.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 06:32 AM   #16
b1mmr
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boland01
Our 335i is doing the same thing. A new sensor is around $190.00 which is ridiculous. There are no oil leaks so it's either burning a ton of oil which I doubt since there is smoke coming out of the exhaust or it's the sensor.
This weekend I'm going to jack up the car and check to make sure the connection to the sensor on the oil pan hasn't come loose somehow.
The pcv system is wasteful as well. An external catch can proves this.
      04-07-2016, 03:41 PM   #17
lichtgelb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i

True story....

When brought my E90 home the first thing I did was drain the oil. I bought it at a salvage action and it had been in a front end collision. You never know what you're going to get at the auctions. Anyway, I put a drain pan under there and take off the drain plug. Oil comes rushing out and was still flowing quickly as the pan was nearing the top. So I ran across the garage and grabbed another pan. The oil finally stopped draining when that pan was nearly full. I didn't even know what size pan I was using so I look on the side and it says 7qt. So nearly 14qts of oil drained out of that N52.

The valve cover and oil pan were both leaking at the time. I don't know if both failed due to being overfilled, or if it was over filled because they were leaking. After changing those gaskets, and replacing the entire CCV system, the engine has ran fine. It did seem to burn a lot of oil in the first 3000 miles after I put it back on the road but now that seems to have tapered off.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about a 1qt overfill. It's not good to overfill any engine but I can say for certain an N52 will still be ok after running 14qts but I have no way of knowing how many miles it might have been driven like that.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 04:10 PM   #18
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Pray, mostly. Then I'd break down and cry.

That's why the dealer does it.
Appreciate 0