F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Well guys, it finally happened to me :(
ARMA SPEED

04-11-2016, 10:11 PM   #1
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Well guys, it finally happened to me :(

10 years of driving (15 to 25, as of literally 5 days ago) and got into my first ever accident after work today. I was doing about 30-40 MPH on the access road getting ready to enter the freeway and turned my head to check the blind spot to my left (one of those idiot sections where the on ramp is immediately after the exit ramp). When I turned to look forward again, I realized the car in front of me had come to a complete stop, I slammed into her, and she slammed into the car in front of her. The officer that did the police report didn't issue any citations because that same accident happens almost daily -__-

So now it's time to "Ask the Audience!" I already filed my claim online, insurance will be calling tomorrow. Damage isn't too extensive, the bumper and grilles will need to be replaced, but I'm not sure if there's any damage behind that, and don't know what to look for. The passenger headlight is damaged inside; there's a piece of broken plastic inside the housing that I'm not sure what part it came from. The inner ring is dimmer than the outer, and the headlight does not perform it's startup routine. My guess is it's off it's track, or the motor is broken, and the headlight is pointing down towards the ground. HOWEVER, the headlights aren't original to the car, I retrofitted them a few months ago. How will that work? I also never retrofitted the level sensors, so I don't think I could even get away with saying they're stock.

Attached Images

04-11-2016, 10:32 PM   #2
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Maybe those aftermarket LED's are in order on your dime, and the bumper / grilles and under the hood damage are the responsibility of the insurance company...?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 10:43 PM   #3
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
Maybe those aftermarket LED's are in order on your dime, and the bumper / grilles and under the hood damage are the responsibility of the insurance company...?
Didn't think about that! Sounds like a great idea, but unfortunately not in the budget
      04-12-2016, 12:56 AM   #4
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

If you're in the US the insurance company will cover whatever was on the car at the time of loss, you may have to provide receipts to receive proper compensation. Honestly most likely though the insurance adjuster to look at the headlights assume that they are OEM Xenon and pay to replace OEM xenon's.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 01:22 AM   #5
bad karma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i F31 M-Sport

My insurance has always covered aftermarket parts without issue. Probably best to just ask them. Since you're getting a new bumper anyways, now is a prime time upgrade to the M-Sport one!
      04-12-2016, 01:49 AM   #6
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Don't say anything. Body shop will put down that you had the xenons or whatever on your car in the estimate and insurance will pay for it.
Is it xenon or is it just the projector? Did you already code the car to work with xenon?

You pay good money for insurance so let the insurance take care of it.

IF there is any issue, talk to the body shop. It is in the shop's interest to have more work to do on your car so they will work with you
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 06:21 AM   #7
thejackyltm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
Don't say anything. Body shop will put down that you had the xenons or whatever on your car in the estimate and insurance will pay for it.
Is it xenon or is it just the projector? Did you already code the car to work with xenon?

You pay good money for insurance so let the insurance take care of it.

IF there is any issue, talk to the body shop. It is in the shop's interest to have more work to do on your car so they will work with you

this^^^ i hit a deer in my old bimmer couple years ago. i upgraded to blacked out angel eyes and a m3 rep bumper from it. all paid from insurance
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #8
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Interesting... I will definitely shoot for an M Sport bumper, although will I have to switch it out at lease-end?

And yes the headlights are OEM adaptive xenon from another BMW and coded to the car. But like I said I never installed the level sensors (another project I'm procrastinating), so they don't level properly. Something I'm sure the body shop will notice when they replace them.
      04-12-2016, 07:20 AM   #9
CntryClub007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjustinn
Interesting... I will definitely shoot for an M Sport bumper, although will I have to switch it out at lease-end?

And yes the headlights are OEM adaptive xenon from another BMW and coded to the car. But like I said I never installed the level sensors (another project I'm procrastinating), so they don't level properly. Something I'm sure the body shop will notice when they replace them.
The body shop is going to be very confused when they look up your VIN for the parts list and see different headlights installed...probably best to be transparent and collaborative in the entire process.

Sounds like aftermarket parts would be covered. Great time for M-Sport too, but if you are leasing, may need to put that back, along with the headlights upon turn in.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 08:33 AM   #10
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The body shop is going to be very confused when they look up your VIN for the parts list and see different headlights installed...probably best to be transparent and collaborative in the entire process.

Sounds like aftermarket parts would be covered. Great time for M-Sport too, but if you are leasing, may need to put that back, along with the headlights upon turn in.
My thoughts exactly. Which brings me to my next question, based on others' freebie experiences: do you think I could have the shop install the level sensors and tack it onto the insurance claim or pay a little extra?

Also, I've had a cracked windshield for a while from previous road hazards. Would now be a good time to get that replaced? I wanted to wait until I needed to do it, because it won't pass inspection this year, but seeing as how I'm already gonna have to pay my deductible, might as well roll it all in, right?
      04-12-2016, 08:50 AM   #11
thejackyltm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335MSport

talk to the body shop you're having the work done at. shop i went to worked with me very well and even gave me the remaining cash left from the insurance company as i bought the parts myself. you could most likely easily have them tack it on as broken from the accident, and might as well get the windshield replaced. get everything you can done at once!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 10:08 AM   #12
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

We had upgraded the windshield in our X5 (from regular to comfort glass) and when it got cracked and needed replacement we just told the glass company and insurance carrier to make sure we got the correct upgraded replacement.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #13
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackyltm View Post
talk to the body shop you're having the work done at. shop i went to worked with me very well and even gave me the remaining cash left from the insurance company as i bought the parts myself. you could most likely easily have them tack it on as broken from the accident, and might as well get the windshield replaced. get everything you can done at once!
Awesome! Hopefully they'll be willing to work with me on that. As much as I'd love to get the M Sport bumper, I probably won't since I don't wanna spend money later on to switch it back and not have the original bumper. I still have my original headlights, so that's not an issue.
      04-12-2016, 12:05 PM   #14
MarineOh3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 / 2016 F15

Make sure you check the contour lines on the hood VERY carefully as that hood is designed to absorb the energy from impacts. So it may not look like you have obvious hood damage but look at the body lines in your hood for little dimples that form when that impact energy is absorbed. Trust me... I speak from experience. It was two months after a minor fender bender that I noticed the little dimples.
      04-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #15
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineOh3 View Post
Make sure you check the contour lines on the hood VERY carefully as that hood is designed to absorb the energy from impacts. So it may not look like you have obvious hood damage but look at the body lines in your hood for little dimples that form when that impact energy is absorbed. Trust me... I speak from experience. It was two months after a minor fender bender that I noticed the little dimples.
if the body shop does not notice this and take care of it, that shop needs to go out of business
even the slightly ding on the hood will get a replacement after an accident because of the potential weakening to the crumple zone

is the level sensor a part of the xenon headlight assembly? if so, the shop should be ordering all the parts associated with the headlight assembly anyway
so you will be covered

people need to stop freaking out after an accident
this is the time to let your expensive insurance premium do the work for you
you're not taking anything you're not supposed to. your car had working xenon headlights - get working xenon headlights as replacement

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #16
Philipangoo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335

For these things it's best to take it to a shop where you have a relationship with them. They can quote OEM replacements for insurance company, then you can specify which parts you want replaced with aftermarket or OE parts after the claim is accepted. You aren't ripping off the insurance since they are paying to replace OEM parts. You can use aftermarket parts for certain cosmetic things like the bumper cover. If the headlights you retrofitted end up being more expensive then OE halogens, I would recommend providing the receipt for them to your insurance.
      04-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #17
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
is the level sensor a part of the xenon headlight assembly? if so, the shop should be ordering all the parts associated with the headlight assembly anyway
so you will be covered

people need to stop freaking out after an accident
this is the time to let your expensive insurance premium do the work for you
you're not taking anything you're not supposed to. your car had working xenon headlights - get working xenon headlights as replacement
Sort of. There are 2 sensors that are mounted to the car, behind the fender liners in the driver side front and rear wheel wells. Those sensors are wired to the module underneath the iDrive controller.

I don't think it should be an issue for them to install, since it's literally just mounting and wiring; the coding is already done, and the parts are fairly inexpensive. But this is my first accident so I've never had to deal with anything like this before.
      04-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #18
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjustinn View Post
Sort of. There are 2 sensors that are mounted to the car, behind the fender liners in the driver side front and rear wheel wells. Those sensors are wired to the module underneath the iDrive controller.

I don't think it should be an issue for them to install, since it's literally just mounting and wiring; the coding is already done, and the parts are fairly inexpensive. But this is my first accident so I've never had to deal with anything like this before.
here's the thing
in a collision, things like the level sensor can break off and get lost
that's what happens when two vehicles collide

the bodyshop will note that your vehicle had xenon headlights
they should notice that the parts diagram shows the leveling sensor .. but your car does not have it
they will likely order every part that shows up as being connected and part of the assembly
you will very likely get self leveling xenon headlights after this is done
now, the shop may not be aware of the need to code the vehicle (if coding is needed for the leveler to work) ... so have that ready

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Sorry about the accident OP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #20
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
What does the policy say?

The only "out" I see for the insurance company is if they say you never informed them of the upgrade, and based on your VIN, they "valued" your car differently. So--if you added a solid gold hood, they aren't going to cover that because they didn't know, and would have priced your policy differently to insure the risk of damage to a more expensive part than they underwrote.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #21
CntryClub007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670
Quote:
What does the policy say?

The only "out" I see for the insurance company is if they say you never informed them of the upgrade, and based on your VIN, they "valued" your car differently. So--if you added a solid gold hood, they aren't going to cover that because they didn't know, and would have priced your policy differently to insure the risk of damage to a more expensive part than they underwrote.
Very good point.
Appreciate 0