E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > White and blue smoke on decel and at a light

04-16-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 M3

White and blue smoke on decel and at a light

Hay guys I have done a search and found some threads with similar issues but not quit the same and no definite answer. My car is a 2009 coupe , FBO with meth. Cobb buraq tuned. N54 DP and Mevius catless exhaust. Ever since I got the exhaust I have had some smoke but nothing major , it's smells at a light and why I'm going back to stock but I love the exhaust etc.. Anyhow looks like my oil cooler seal was leaking and oil ended up on my power steering belt and it slipped and snapped to shit.. Repairs listed in pic.. since I have got it back the car smokes like crazy on decel and stop lights after it warms up for awhile.. Also it's not every light nor every hill. It can drive for miles before it happens. I'm trying to see how it could start after a repair to the oil cooler. Or maybe it's just a coincidence. I thought maybe oil residue was being burned off but I've driven for days now. Like I said it's not every time but if I'm on the road for a bit it will start.. Could it be oil temp gets up to 240 and the viscosity thins allowing oil to push through seals easily.. It's only on decel and at a light stopped. Not on acceleration and this is what I could not find a clear answer too as most said there car just smokes all the time not referencing to decel only. I went months with very little smoke so I'm at a lost to why all of a sudden after my oil leak and belt snap it has risen to a level that is so embarrassing. Car seems to hold boost no problem and runs pretty smooth. I have my cobb mounted with the data so I can see I'm holding boost just fine. Hoping it's not pre mature turbo failure. Car has 59km.. Pic won't load sorry..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep

Uploaded pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
PatrickO
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I replaced the valve seals on my car that was doing the same. Smoke went away but i could definitely still smell burning oil. Put the factory exhaust with mid cats back on and its fine. Don't feel any power loss and id rather it be quiet than smell like burnt oil all the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #4
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thank you for the reply.. I'm sourcing a stock exhaust now... Is replacing the seals a big job? How much labour is involved time wise?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
dannyhavok
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 328xi 6MT

I can't help with your problem, but hello to another Victoria owner!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #6
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep

Hay nice to say hi.. Small world... We have a pretty solid BMW community on the island..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #7
Chromey
Captain
Canada
Rep

Crazy it went away for a few days and now back like no tomorrow , temperature outside is so hot today , wonder if heat has anything to do with it?
Appreciate 0