BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Price increase for 2017's???

04-28-2016, 09:45 PM   #1
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Price increase for 2017's???

I read in a couple of posts that there will be a price increase for the 2017 model year. Is that factual or one of the many rumors floating around? Anyone with real first hand knowledge?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:25 PM   #2
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I read in a couple of posts that there will be a price increase for the 2017 model year. Is that factual or one of the many rumors floating around? Anyone with real first hand knowledge?
Some speculation, some hearsay, nothing substantiated as fact. Still waiting for someone with real substantiated info.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 12:00 AM   #3
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-1er View Post
Some speculation, some hearsay, nothing substantiated as fact. Still waiting for someone with real substantiated info.
This is the place for speculation that's for sure. Plenty of conspiracy theories.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 06:25 AM   #4
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

There is no official information at this point.

Historically, we should expect a modest price increase, but hard to say how much.

Last edited by gmzanatta; 04-29-2016 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #5
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I did some Internet searching and did find that BMW sometimes increases prices with model year vs. calendar year or fiscal year.

For example they did raise prices on the M3/M4 but then included some options as standard. In other instances they just raised prices.

Hoping if they do, they will allow us to exclude some of the less desirable features like Driving Assistant and therefore save on things that at least I really don't want b/c I don't want to spend 5 minutes configuring the car everytime I start it, put in sport mode, turn off auto start, turn off lane departure warning, sheesh.

Guessing instead they may make the car configurable like on the UK site and we'll be the ones indirectly increasing the price by ticking all the packages and options.

All that said I'm bracing for an increase in price and decrease in standard options.

--------------

I have not been following new BMW models for a couple of years and not to start a conspiracy theory but does BMW normally introduce new models with most items standard and take a slight loss right before the model year change to get the cars out there with everything, generate some buzz then make everything configurable and increase price w/the next model year? What I have noticed is that there are way too many packages and options. When I bought my E36M3 it was like the current M2, pick a color, pick an interior color, number of doors and a few other items, done. The new M4s you just watch the price skyrocket as you tick of things you think you "need"

Last edited by omasou; 04-29-2016 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #6
CADK
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
I did some Internet searching and did find that BMW sometimes increases prices with model year vs. calendar year or fiscal year.

For example they did raise prices on the M3/M4 but then included some options as standard. In other instances they just raised prices.

Hoping if they do, they will allow us to exclude some of the less desirable features like Driving Assistant and therefore save on things that at least I really don't want b/c I don't want to spend 5 minutes configuring the car everytime I start it, put in sport mode, turn off auto start, turn off lane departure warning, sheesh.

Guessing instead they may make the car configurable like on the UK site and we'll be the ones indirectly increasing the price by ticking all the packages and options.

All that said I'm bracing for an increase in price and decrease in standard options.

--------------

I have not been following new BMW models for a couple of years and not to start a conspiracy theory but does BMW normally introduce new models with most items standard and take a slight loss right before the model year change to get the cars out there with everything, generate some buzz then make everything configurable and increase price w/the next model year? What I have noticed is that there are way too many packages and options. When I bought my E36M3 it was like the current M2, pick a color, pick an interior color, number of doors and a few other items, done. The new M4s you just watch the price skyrocket as you tick of things you think you "need"

No word on any price increase, but I think it'll be modest as mentioned here.

Regarding the packages though, the M2 keeps it very simple with just one. I'm sure this helps keep production costs down. Executive is only $1250, so I don't know that breaking that up will make a huge difference for most.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #7
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Given the demand, why would BMW not increase the price? I hope in return there are a few more options. More colors would be appreciated, and easy to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #8
parrnan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT with the great MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
Given the demand, why would BMW not increase the price? I hope in return there are a few more options. More colors would be appreciated, and easy to do.
In Canada a MY16 M2 is $61,000 and it is for an already full equiped car. The only options are :

$895 for metallic paint (all colors except white)
$3,900 for 7 speed DCT M automatic transmission
$500 or $600 (I'm not sure) for Smartphone connectivity

Six months ago I've ordered a MY16 LBB M2 with DCT and I will not get it, instead I'll get a MY17 at an undetermined price. I always thought that when you sign a contract and shake hands the deal is done. Well, for BMW it is not the case I guess...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #9
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Look at the bmw.co.uk All of the M2 options that are standard or part of the executive package are broken out a la carte, e.g. a sunroof is an orderable option.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrnan View Post
In Canada a MY16 M2 is $61,000 and it is for an already full equiped car. The only options are :

$895 for metallic paint (all colors except white)
$3,900 for 7 speed DCT M automatic transmission
$500 or $600 (I'm not sure) for Smartphone connectivity

Six months ago I've ordered a MY16 LBB M2 with DCT and I will not get it, instead I'll get a MY17 at an undetermined price. I always thought that when you sign a contract and shake hands the deal is done. Well, for BMW it is not the case I guess...
The thing to understand here is that you did not sign a sales contract with BMW. You simply got on a waiting list with a deposit. The contract doesn't come until you buy the car.

Some folks, such as myself, had a secondary contract with the dealership (not BMW mind you) stipulating sales conditions such as price, MY, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 01:19 PM   #11
le panecito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 (LBB+DCT)

If they bump up the price, they better stick some parking sensors up front too and add Apple CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #12
pup73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
I agree, but keep in mind that only the Drive Mode needs to be configured at start up (and I'm hoping a code will cure this); Auto start, lane departure, blah blah can be turned off and will remain off..

-c
2005 Honda S2000-mostly stock
1994 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo-barely stock
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #13
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcubs View Post
If they bump up the price, they better stick some parking sensors up front too and add Apple CarPlay
I wish I could find the quote from the BMW engineer, but they tried to put the sensors on the front but couldn't due to the way the bumper is shaped. If I do find it I'll post it on here.

CarPlay will never happen unfortunately; it needs a touchscreen or similar - maybe we will see it on the new 7 series.
Appreciate 3
      04-29-2016, 02:12 PM   #14
Em-Two
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcubs View Post
I wish I could find the quote from the BMW engineer, but they tried to put the sensors on the front but couldn't due to the way the bumper is shaped. If I do find it I'll post it on here.

CarPlay will never happen unfortunately; it needs a touchscreen or similar - maybe we will see it on the new 7 series.
It doesn't require a touchscreen actually.

In any event the price bump is going to be $995. That is my guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 02:18 PM   #15
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em-Two View Post
It doesn't require a touchscreen actually.

In any event the price bump is going to be $995. That is my guess.
I stand corrected - did some digging into it and see they've opened it up to systems that operate with knobs/buttons.

Hopefully BMW can get over their fear of third-party tech and we can all enjoy CarPlay with an update later down the line.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #16
le panecito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 (LBB+DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
I stand corrected - did some digging into it and see they've opened it up to systems that operate with knobs/buttons.

Hopefully BMW can get over their fear of third-party tech and we can all enjoy CarPlay with an update later down the line.
I'm seriously crossing my fingers that this is the case. Even if they don't implement it now, hopefully there will be some sort of update option.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 02:25 PM   #17
redshift1
Rep
Drives: 2015 infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
Hard to know the real demand as BMW appears to utilize the Apple paradigm of constrained release and waiting lists to generate interest. Why get a M2 for $60K+ when a M4 stripper can be had for $65K.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 02:42 PM   #18
parrnan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
The thing to understand here is that you did not sign a sales contract with BMW. You simply got on a waiting list with a deposit. The contract doesn't come until you buy the car.

Some folks, such as myself, had a secondary contract with the dealership (not BMW mind you) stipulating sales conditions such as price, MY, etc.
I've signed a contract with the dealer with everything written on it (MY, price, options, PDI, taxes, everything). I even gave them a none refundable deposit and we (me and the dealer) have signed the contract. I'm not just on a waiting list, I've signed a contract and we shake hands. But it looks like that is irrelevant if there is a price raise for MY17 according to some people on this Bimmers forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #19
MisterGoober
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Searching!

Quote:
I've signed a contract with the dealer with everything written on it (MY, price, options, PDI, taxes, everything). I even gave them a none refundable deposit and we (me and the dealer) have signed the contract. I'm not just on a waiting list, I've signed a contract and we shake hands. But it looks like that is irrelevant if there is a price raise for MY17 according to some people on this Bimmers forum.
Depends. If it's a modest bump of $1000 or so, then maybe the dealer eats the difference and you pay the price in the contract.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 04:58 PM   #20
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
If your dealer has a supposed 2016 allocation they committed to you and BMW AG failed to deliver, they may be able to work something out with BMW to meet their commitment to you without eating it (the bump) themselves. If they are eating a significant amount it may be difficult. All depends.

If they are deliberately constraining production to use it as a loss leader for other sales (as some have said), a price hike for those shifted to 2017 against their will would be hard to defend.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 05:03 PM   #21
parrnan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGoober View Post
Depends. If it's a modest bump of $1000 or so, then maybe the dealer eats the difference and you pay the price in the contract.
I would not be angry with a modest bump of $1000 if the car is as equiped as the MY16 was, the problem is that in this forum some people are talking about a $4000 to $6000 bump for a possibly less equiped car.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 05:53 PM   #22
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

I don't expect the price of the M2 to increase any more than BMW has done previously with their other models in this price range, when build components ramained same. That was either no increase at all, or around 0.5%.
Appreciate 0