BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing My new 6.8 lb toy. :)

03-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

My new 6.8 lb toy. :)

My new 17" Macbook Pro with the LED Hi Res screen came in today. I am loving it. It replaces my 12" Powerbook G4.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Out of curiosity, why did you try to buy a "power" laptop? i.e. 17" is one thing and the 2.6 is another, but 4gigs of ram as well? If you really needed every single power upgrade you're better off getting a desktop and something light for travel ala Air or m1330 imo. I made the mistake of trying to buy a power laptop once, suffice it to say I won't do it again. Nevertheless it's still a sweet laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
ModMyVi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Stock TiAg E90

congrats!!!

i bet its one helluva style meets substance kinda notebook
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Out of curiosity, why did you try to buy a "power" laptop? i.e. 17" is one thing and the 2.6 is another, but 4gigs of ram as well? If you really needed every single power upgrade you're better off getting a desktop and something light for travel ala Air or m1330 imo. I made the mistake of trying to buy a power laptop once, suffice it to say I won't do it again. Nevertheless it's still a sweet laptop.
It's my college computer. Two computers would be impractical especially with the limited space you have in a dorm room. Plus, this was ultimately cheaper then the 20" iMac+MBA I was also considering. I would have been fine with a Blackbook, but I don't want that POS GMA X3100 integrated POS( the MBA gets a pass considering its designed function). I also wanted the screen space the Hi Res gives me so again, can save space for college since it has the same number of pixels as Apple's 23" display so I don't need to go out and buy an external if I ever feel like I need more desktop space.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 10:39 PM   #5
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez E90 M3

Great machine, good luck with it!
      03-12-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
It's my college computer. Two computers would be impractical especially with the limited space you have in a dorm room. Plus, this was ultimately cheaper then the 20" iMac+MBA I was also considering. I would have been fine with a Blackbook, but I don't want that POS GMA X3100 integrated POS( the MBA gets a pass considering its designed function). I also wanted the screen space the Hi Res gives me so again, can save space for college since it has the same number of pixels as Apple's 23" display so I don't need to go out and buy an external if I ever feel like I need more desktop space.
Nice.
I'm facing the same dilemma myself this fall. I really want to avoid a power laptop because even the best aren't as well suited to gaming as a midrange desktop (I had an Alienware laptop for HS, big mistake) and they're bloody annoying to cart around being so big and hot and power hungry. Like you said, I really don't want to take a desktop to school but if it lets me not have to cart something big around and play games more effectively I just may have to.

I agree with the MacBook comment as well. People who don't realize what the graphics difference wonder why the MBP is so much more than the regular MB because the processor/HD/RAM are so close, but the load taken off the MBP's main processor by the GPU more than justifies the added expense. Just really a waiting game of when the new form factor comes out. It's got multi-touch and Penyron now, but there are rumors of a factor change Junish. I hate Apple rumors, because they never end.

Finally, my monitor is coming with me to college no matter what. I'll never be able to go back to crappier monitors now that I've experienced 24" 1920x1080 joy.

Good choice sir.

Quote:
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

The 17" Hi Res is 1920x1200. So you wouldn't miss much besides the actual screen size. I could of waited until Montevina, but like you said a redesign of the MBP is rumored. Which is probably when Apple will finally put the MB like keyboard on it. I hate the MB keyboard and love the powerbook style. Also, I had low risk of bugs buying now instead of waiting and buying a new platform. The speed difference will also be negligible between the two. Shame we can't wait until 2Q of 2009. Nehalem is the real performance gain we would both crave. I have read a 100-200% increase in performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #8
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The 17" Hi Res is 1920x1200. So you wouldn't miss much besides the actual screen size.
And therein lies the crux of the problem. The pixels are a lot smaller. Fine for when you're out/in class but I spend enough time on the computer I'd likely go blind staring a that res on a screen that small all day.
Quote:
Shame we can't wait until 2Q of 2009. Nehalem is the real performance gain we would both crave. I have read a 100-200% increase in performance.
True, but if you play that game you'll never buy a computer. They manage to change something on it every 6 months or so.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #9
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
And therein lies the crux of the problem. The pixels are a lot smaller. Fine for when you're out/in class but I spend enough time on the computer I'd likely go blind staring a that res on a screen that small all day.

True, but if you play that game you'll never buy a computer. They manage to change something on it every 6 months or so.
Yeah, the text is a bit small, but thank god for MT. We can zoom in on the text now.

Yeah, but as Intel like to puts it, Penryn/Montevina are "ticks" and Nehalem is a "tock". Tock being the more the performance gain you see and ticks are minor bumps. It would be two years before there would be another tock. After Nehalem are minor bumps which I can live with.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the text is a bit small, but thank god for MT. We can zoom in on the text now.
Does it only work in Safari/Word/iPhoto/etc. or can you use it with any app? I'd assume I can't use it to zoom in on a specific portion of a game or other fullscreen app?

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2008, 11:09 PM   #11
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
A)Does it only work in Safari/Word/iPhoto/etc. B) or can you use it with any app? I'd assume I can't use it to zoom in on a specific portion of a game or other fullscreen app?
I would imagine it's A. That would be cheating in games first of all. Plus, probably doesn't have the code to recognize the command especially we'll most likely be gaming in Windows( good luck getting a decent FPS in Rosetta) which won't have the coding for the MT. I haven't tested it out yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #12
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Iwe'll most likely be gaming in Windows( good luck getting a decent FPS in Rosetta) which won't have the coding for the MT.
Not unless your MMO of choice has a Mac client. (No it's not WoW)

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #13
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

Better get that Kensington lock.
      03-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #14
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
Better get that Kensington lock.
The ones you can defeat with a ballpoint pen?

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #15
AllydNYC
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91' E30 318is

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
Macs FTL. But good luck with it
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #16
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllydNYC View Post
Macs FTL. But good luck with it
Obvious troll is obvious.

Quote:
Appreciate 0