BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > New navigation system/Connected Drive/Apple Carplay

05-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #1
eau_rouge
Germany
Rep
Drives: Alpina B3 G21 Touring

Garage List
New navigation system/Connected Drive/Apple Carplay

As some of you may know, I've just ordered my M2 Coupé recently. Today I received some more info from my dealer about the upcoming updates in 2016 (just from the dealer - so, not 100% confirmed).

Starting with the July production, all M2s will feature the new navigation system introduced in the 7 series. The extras list will be extended with two new additions: Wireless charging and Apple Carplay. Both will be featured within the Connected Drive package (most likely) and will make that package a bit more expensive. The new navigation system will still be standard for most of the regions (I know that this is not standard in some markets).

I know that the whole Connected Drive and navigation thing is not the point why we are buying the M2 - but I thought that this info will be somehow interesting for some of us

As stated in the "intro": The information was given me by my dealer - he double checked his documents on this to make sure but still, sometimes they are mixing something up as we all know.
2005 E46 M3 S54 - TS/GN5TT - 6MT
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Yes.

Quote:
New from BMW ConnectedDrive: BMW iDrive with optimized menu display, telephony with wireless charging and WLAN hotspot available for further models.

From the summer of 2016, three new features from BMW ConnectedDrive, which were previously only available for the BMW 7 Series and BMW 6 Series, will also find their way to the BMW 1 Series, the BMW 2 Series Coupe and the BMW 2 Series Convertible, the BMW 3 Series and BMW 4 Series. A new, extremely clearly structured menu display and a higher screen resolution for the Control Display will in future optimize the control of vehicle, infotainment, navigation and communication functions via the iDrive controller. In conjunction with the navigation system Professional, the on-board monitor no longer displays the main menu and control options for the various functions in lists, but in the form of adjacently arranged tile symbols. Furthermore, the speech recognition feature of the navigation system Professional has been supplemented by the function Natural Language, with which spoken instructions can be given not only as predefined text modules, but also freely formulated in complete sentences.

The optional feature telephony with wireless charging enhances comfort when using mobile phones inside the vehicle. Inductively chargeable smartphones can be supplied wirelessly with electricity during the journey using the mobile telephone facility provided for this purpose in the centre console. Apart from the integration of the smartphone into the vehicle operating system, the new option also includes a connection to the exterior antenna and two USB ports as well as the WLAN hotspot function, which facilitates high-speed Internet connectivity for up to eight mobile end devices.
source
      05-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #3
eau_rouge
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Yes.

source
Thanks for posting this.

I was aware that it comes within the 2 Series. But BMW replied to me and told me that they are not sure wether this includes the M cars as well. BMW just referred to the 2 Series Coupé and 2 Series Convertible, both cars from the AG.

I was not aware about Carplay as well. As I use the Connected Drive features sometimes and I love the navigation system from BMW, I have to say that I am very pleased with this news
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #4
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eau_rouge View Post
Thanks for posting this.

I was aware that it comes within the 2 Series. But BMW replied to me and told me that they are not sure wether this includes the M cars as well. BMW just referred to the 2 Series Coupé and 2 Series Convertible, both cars from the AG.

I was not aware about Carplay as well. As I use the Connected Drive features sometimes and I love the navigation system from BMW, I have to say that I am very pleased with this news
... and here I am with my poor CIC.

As young as I am, I don't care much about ConnectedDrive. I just use BT and for music I have a dedicated flash drive. The only thing I really want is the newest RTTI, and OTA map updates. But, yeah, iDrive is the best. I have tried both Comman and MMI and BMW's system is the best. I have problems with connecting my phone, though, but I think it's because of cyanogenmod.
      05-18-2016, 09:51 AM   #5
BurpZilla
Avid Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White M2 6spd

thats pretty cool news!! thanks man!!
Alpine White BMW M2 6spd; 2015 Arctic White Yukon XL Denali
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
eau_rouge
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
... and here I am with my poor CIC.

As young as I am, I don't care much about ConnectedDrive. I just use BT and for music I have a dedicated flash drive. The only thing I really want is the newest RTTI, and OTA map updates. But, yeah, iDrive is the best. I have tried both Comman and MMI and BMW's system is the best. I have problems with connecting my phone, though, but I think it's because of cyanogenmod.
The features of locking your car with your phone or track it via GPS always give me a good feeling when leaving my car. There were numerous moments in life were I had to get back to my car and see if it is locked (don't let my girlfriend tell you a story about this...). So yeah, as much as it is considered as pure nonsense by some of our hardcore "enthusiasts", I am sometimes thankful to just lock my car with a phone as I don't have to walk back and check. Other than that, RTTI is simply stunning and works close to perfection. It always shows the right arrival time, sometimes if there are even 400 km to cover.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 10:21 AM   #7
BMWPWR
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eau_rouge View Post
Thanks for posting this.

German price list is out for the M2 and it's all included.

http://www.bmw.de/dam/brandBM/market...01.pdf?desktop
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2016, 03:36 PM   #8
CDN
Belgium
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 DCT

Well, that's mildly annoying. Won't stop me from picking up my M2 this weekend though
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #9
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Time to trade my 2016 then. Any takers? Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #10
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Does anyone know if the iDrive 5.0 or CarPlay could be deployed to other cars via a software update?

Don't really care about increased resolution, but CarPlay would be nice.

PS: really upset BMW didn't just do this for the MY16 M2's (all 10 of them) - what a load of bullshit they have put us through.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 05:53 PM   #11
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

These tech features are definitely a big upgrade over the 2016 model.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 08:39 PM   #12
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

We've heard infinite false claims from dealers/BMW Genius reps/etc. I take all this with a mountain-sized grain of salt
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:31 PM   #13
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew View Post
We've heard infinite false claims from dealers/BMW Genius reps/etc. I take all this with a mountain-sized grain of salt
Sounds good and all but the problem is that all the info is in the German price list for the M2 already posted above. So it is info directly from BMW. People with a HEA or early customer car is missing out on this upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:40 PM   #14
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Does Android Auto work?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 11:59 PM   #15
F87_M2
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Will we be able to retrofit this onto the 16's?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 12:04 AM   #16
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_M2 View Post
Will we be able to retrofit this onto the 16's?
Yes, everything is possible but as always you need the new hardware which is stupipidly expensive. So it will probably be north of $3k to start with...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 02:11 PM   #17
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

From the press release:

" ... Apart from the integration of the smartphone into the vehicle operating system, ... "

Sure, this could mean CarPlay or Android Auto. But it likely doesn't. CarPlay and Android Auto is not in iDrive 5.0 now in the 7 Series, and the closest language BMW has used to describe its arrival is that near-future models will have "limited CarPlay functionality".

That tells me it's not going to be complete because it's not fully licensed for MY2017 (hence the actual platform names not being used in the source release), though I bet iDrive 5.0 has functionality for both platforms engineered into it. We won't see it in complete form until both platforms are fully licensed (particularly CarPlay -- and BMW won't dare offer Android Auto first) and having Apple approve its integration and use within iDrive 5.0. The biggest change regarding this will be BMW's existing third-party app integration deals with entities like Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music, etc. Those would likely need to be suspended for CarPlay to be viable to BMW.

Keep waiting.

Last edited by Viffermike; 05-19-2016 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #18
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

Can this be upgraded with software? Nevermind...above answered it
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #19
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
From the press release:

" ... Apart from the integration of the smartphone into the vehicle operating system, ... "

Sure, this could mean CarPlay or Android Auto. But it likely doesn't. CarPlay and Android Auto is not in iDrive 5.0 now in the 7 Series, and the closest language BMW has used to describe its arrival is that near-future models will have "limited CarPlay functionality".

That tells me it's not going to be complete because it's not fully licensed for MY2017 (hence the actual platform names not being used in the source release), though I bet iDrive 5.0 has functionality for both platforms engineered into it. We won't see it in complete form until both platforms are fully licensed (particularly CarPlay -- and BMW won't dare offer Android Auto first) and having Apple approve its integration and use within iDrive 5.0. The biggest change regarding this will be BMW's existing third-party app integration deals with entities like Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music, etc. Those would likely need to be suspended for CarPlay to be viable to BMW.

Keep waiting.
CarPlay is confirmed as a €300 option from the second half of 2016. It is in the price list from BMW.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 8620
Size:  85.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 07:07 AM   #20
BMWPWR
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

BMW iDrive Update 2016: New menu in almost all BMW

With the facelift for summer 2016 are among many new engines also a major update for the BMW iDrive infotainment system. From production in July 2016 ...
With the facelift for summer 2016 are among many new engines also a major update for the BMW iDrive infotainment system. From production in July 2016, in virtually all models with navigation system Professional installed a new display with a higher resolution and the software revised so that in future many recalls in the smaller ranges to the new 7 Series. The menu will no longer be designed in the form of a list of mutually arranged menu items, but the more modern tile design take with adjacent symbols.

From iDrive update the BMW profit of 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 as well as the large SUV models X5 and X6. The smaller and currently very successful ongoing BMW X1 F48 must be exactly as 2er Active Tourer and Gran Tourer apparently still a little wait, for already in the autumn of their life cycle 5 Series, the update is not performed. BMW X3 and X4 have already received the same update and the first delivery in these days with the refreshed navigation system Professional.

Next will also optimizes the speech recognition of the navigation system Professional. This dominates the future 'Natural Language', the function can also be natural and free understand and interpret spoken sentences in addition to some predefined phrases. Instructions such as "Navigate me to BMW Welt in Munich" should be sufficient to provide the appropriate command.

All the above models can also be equipped with the new optional equipment "telephony with Wireless Charging". Mobiles, which are suitable for inductive charging, can then be wirelessly recharged in a mobile phone storage in the center console area. At the same time a wireless connection to the external antenna and of course the ConnectedDrive system is manufactured. Optional equipment also includes a Wi-Fi hotspot, which supplies up to eight devices with high-speed Internet.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #21
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
CarPlay is confirmed as a €300 option from the second half of 2016. It is in the price list from BMW.

Attachment 1426070
If that's the case, Android phone owners are gonna be PISSED. No mention of Android Auto at all.

(And often, EU options don't make it to North America right off the bat. My bet is that BMW NA will make it part of a package, like it does with Enhanced Bluetooth.)

I'm still skeptical for the U.S. market. It's just not a smart strategy for BMW to offer CarPlay to the exclusion of the competition. Then again, BMW isn't very good at strategizing with its electronics ...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #22
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
From the press release:

Keep waiting.
AFAIK, Google doesn't charge any licensing fees. So not sure the rollout delay makes sense for Android Auto. I do know that BMW makes exclusivity deals with Apple however.
Appreciate 0