BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Trofeo R vs Pilot Sport Cup 2

05-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #1
MadViper
Private First Class
Panama
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Trofeo R vs Pilot Sport Cup 2

I'm looking to change the tires of my M2. Would you recommend the Trofeo R or the Pilot Sport Cup 2. I don't think I will be tracking my car, but since I will buy a new set and I drive aggressively I want to make an upgrade to the OEM tires..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 07:57 PM   #2
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadViper
I'm looking to change the tires of my M2. Would you recommend the Trofeo R or the Pilot Sport Cup 2. I don't think I will be tracking my car, but since I will buy a new set and I drive aggressively I want to make an upgrade to the OEM tires..
Apparently you are not planning on driving in any type of inclement weather, because either tire is absolutely terrible in any type of rain conditions. And unless you have seriously deep pockets, I wouldn't recommend them for street use as they both have very soft tread compounds. I have two friends with Z-28s who swapped the Trofeos for a harder compound tire for street use. They mount the Trofeos for track use only. Could only get two HPDEs in before they were gone.
Appreciate 3
      05-29-2016, 09:04 PM   #3
MadViper
Private First Class
Panama
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
Apparently you are not planning on driving in any type of inclement weather, because either tire is absolutely terrible in any type of rain conditions. And unless you have seriously deep pockets, I wouldn't recommend them for street use as they both have very soft tread compounds. I have two friends with Z-28s who swapped the Trofeos for a harder compound tire for street use. They mount the Trofeos for track use only. Could only get two HPDEs in before they were gone.
Thank you for your input! I guess i will keep the stocks

Last edited by MadViper; 05-21-2019 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 2
      06-07-2016, 02:08 AM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Both tires are WAY too aggressive for street driving.
And SUCK in standing water.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 4
      06-08-2016, 12:39 AM   #5
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

For street driving there really isn't an upgrade to pilot super sports. They do well in water and have decent tread life combined with amazing best in class grip
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 07:11 AM   #6
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep
Drives: Bwm and such

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
I have a feeling the commenters haven't had any first experience with either tire. The MPSC 2 is a pretty decent street tire and will last a lot longer than you think. They offer an outstanding amount of grip for the life you can get out of them. They wore better than my PSS (they go to pieces when used hard), Re-71r, or Z2's. They aren't as good as the PSS in the rain, but they're not bad either. I think some of the MPSC rain driving horror stories are following the MPSC 2. The trofeo R on the hand..... is a track tire that lives up to many of the ill's of street driving a track tire. In the end it comes down to how you use them. If you are looking for something that will stand up to abuse, then the MPSC2 is the tire for you. Trofeo R, if ultimate grip and lap times are important. PSS, if getting want to get more than 10,000 miles of normal daily use out of them.
Appreciate 2
J.M262.50
      06-08-2016, 05:24 PM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

But what's the point of the mentioned tires if he's not going to track the car, as stated in the OP??

Another tire to consider is the new Kumho PS91. It's cheaper for my sizes than the V12evo2 and there's an $80 rebate until the end of June.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 10:32 PM   #8
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep
Drives: Bwm and such

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
He stated that he drives aggressively, which can mean different things to different people. Driving aggressively, to me, generally means I'm not going to see more than 4 or 5 thousand miles out of a set. My rear PSS were heatcycled out and chunking well before that, the MPSC 2's held their grip until they corded. Summer tires are great for daily driving and moderate usage, but there's a point where extreme summers or mild r-comps are better suited for the task. It's a case of choosing to have a at least 80 to 90% (just a guess) on of peak traction through the life of the tire or a have something that's going keep it's tread pattern but have grip drop of massively as the tire hardens with heatcycles.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 11:46 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Anyone who's tracked will know you can't get close to 80-90% of the limits of this car on R compounds on the street. The streets are too crappy and unpredictable. There are blind corners everywhere and traffic constantly, not to mention no run off if you screw up.
It would be challenging to get R-compounds up to proper temperatures on the street and even harder to keep them at that temperature.
Appreciate 4
      06-22-2016, 02:34 AM   #10
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Short of going to the track I don't see a reason to get rid of the michelin PSS, they consistently get excellent marks and that is why they are on a ton of great cars. There are other tires that are in that same range in terms of performance and life and then as stated above there are some that probably offer more pure dry grip but will not be fun in the rain and won't last long. Tire Rack has great reviews from actual users that have always helped me make my choices, might be something to look at. I would give the PSS a shot for a while to see if there is a need before I spent the money.
Appreciate 2
      07-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #11
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

Aggressive street driving, no track time, lives in Panama where it rains 75% of the time = MPSS

Live in Chicago suburb & do track days; that = MPSC2

Note: MPSC2 has no issues with Midwest rain.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #12
MadViper
Private First Class
Panama
Rep

Hello again,
This past Sunday was my second track day with the Pilot Sport Cup 2, it is a good tire but I wanted to know how it compares to the Pilot Sport Cup + / N-Spec both in street use and track days
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 06:37 AM   #13
Egress
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadViper View Post
Hello again,
This past Sunday was my second track day with the Pilot Sport Cup 2, it is a good tire but I wanted to know how it compares to the Pilot Sport Cup + / N-Spec both in street use and track days
Thanks in advance.
Isn‘t an N tire always for Porsches only?
I read something about the cup+ Michelin being quite snappy at the end of grip level!

Also does anyone know if Pirelli make the Trofeo R in M2 dimensions? I don’t think so...
Appreciate 0